Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cures for ocd & negative thoughts

Options
  • 21-05-2008 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,
    i have posted previously about having an anxiety disorder. anyone that has experienced one will know how traumatic they are. i have done cbt for 7 months and am currently doing psychotherapy.
    Im aware that there are various techniques to use to try and get rid of unwanted negative thoughtsd or ocd.
    My anxiety disorder was triggered by me cheating on my girlfriend and the guilt and worry of it caused me a major breakdown.
    The ocd i get as a result of this are:
    1)on fridays all day i get ocd cause i cheated on a friday
    2)everytime i touch myself where she touched me i get ocd
    3)the luas gives me ocd cause i saw the luas on the day i cheated
    4)changing gears in my car gives me ocd cos the gears represented in my head a penis...
    The list goes on and on!
    From my months of cbt the technique im told to use is just to say STOP once u get ocd and try distract yourself using mindfullness.
    From the psychotherapist im told to just LAUGH in my head everytime i get ocd, to just laugh at it.
    so anyone got any better tips for me or anything they would like to add

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 oldhairyman

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

That is quite a complex psychological situation your describing there. Really the only tip I can give you is evaulate your therapy. After 7 months has the CBT helped? Can it help you further? Do you stay with that therapist or psychologist or move on to another? I have a limited understanding of CBT so I cannot really say much more.

As for the psychotherapy what kind of thertapist are you seeing? Rather than looking for tips I would personally suggest an explorative therapy like psychoanalysis as you know your triggers and the context of their ateiology. Getting a better understanding, though time consuming may help.

Advertisement