Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrier Line + New Line

Options
  • 21-05-2008 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

I am on a carrier line and the yokes in Eircom say point balnk that it will not be upgraded and ahd the usual eircon attitude problem ( i really wonder why so many people still saty with this over priced attitude laden comapn!!)

Anyhow, one person told me that if I order a second line and pay for it (€121) then its possible that this will be a full working line rather than a carrier line as eircom do not install acrriers any more.

But as with anythnig coming for an eircom mouth, it is not guaranteed and they don't want to be quoted.

Has anyone had experience of getting a new line (rather than a reconnected line) and it being a carrier line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

mcaul wrote: »
    eircom do not install acrriers any more.

That's a mistruth anyway, unfortunately. They're encouraged not to use carrier lines on a "best-effort" basis, but may continue to use them when they are short of lines. I.e. they continue to install in the same areas they have always done.

I've heard of mixed success of the 2 most common suggestions:

1) Order a line and ask that it be noted that this is for DSL
    2) Order ISDN, and then switch that line to DSL

... if you badly need DSL, then they are options (with a 130 quid risk attached!) that you can weigh up. Like you say, though, there are no guarantees!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are no public figures, I guess deemed "sensitive commercial" by Comreg/eircom, but one Rumour has it that there have been an upsurge in carrier installs since privatisation, or that most are since privatisation.

The only time they definately won't install pair gain is if you order ISDN. If they can't economically provide a line, they will cancel your ISDN order. They may refuse ISDN order on basis of lack of space for an ISDN card in exchange too. So there is no 100% sure fire way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Try some of the wireless providers, products like digiweb metro can be pretty decent alternatives to DSL.

Also, check to see if UPC (NTL/Chorus) has broadband in your area, it might be an alternative.

In both cases, you can feel free to tell eircom to take a hike too and cut off the phoneline.

www.broadband.gov.ie gives a unbiased list of broadband providers in any area of the country. It's worth a browse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Solair wrote: »
    Try some of the wireless providers, products like digiweb metro can be pretty decent alternatives to DSL.

Also, check to see if UPC (NTL/Chorus) has broadband in your area, it might be an alternative.

In both cases, you can feel free to tell eircom to take a hike too and cut off the phoneline.

www.broadband.gov.ie gives a unbiased list of broadband providers in any area of the country. It's worth a browse.

boy - I've tried every possible alternative. Currently on Three, which dispite many people having problems with, I am reasonably happy with for the price charged. Av. speeds away from evening peak are 700 kbs, but I need 2mb min to allow me do some work from home.

Might risk the extra line route and then cancel original line.

Ta for replies!

Advertisement