Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumbo jets in Ireland

Options
  • 21-05-2008 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering what Irish airlines use Jumbo jets. I would imagine just aer lingus as there are only three big airlines in Ireland...alingus, ryanair & aer arann.

And what airlines close to use will be using the A380?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

How big does a plane have to be for it to be called a Jumbo jet?

I'm imagining that an Airbus 330 wouldnt be big enough to be called a jumbo. I don't think Aer Lingus have anything bigger, but I'm sure the better informed in here can correct me if that's not the case.

Based on this, I certainly wouldn't expect any Irish airlines to be buying any A380s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

TirEoghain wrote: »
    How big does a plane have to be for it to be called a Jumbo jet?

I'm imagining that an Airbus 330 wouldnt be big enough to be called a jumbo. I don't think Aer Lingus have anything bigger, but I'm sure the better informed in here can correct me if that's not the case.

Based on this, I certainly wouldn't expect any Irish airlines to be buying any A380s

I thought the only plane you could call a jumbo would be the 747 in all it's incarnations. The A380 is being called a super jumbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I would reserve the "Jumbo" designator for the B747. Sinapore Airlines fly into London ith the A380 so that would be the closest you will see one to here really. Unless a future A380 airline decides to do crew training in Shannon maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is only one jet in the world to deserve the title "Jumbo Jet" and that’s the Boeing 747, unfortunately the gutter press seem to classify anything other than a turbo prop as a "jumbo". There was more Boeing 747's flying into this country 20 years ago than is now and the Irish carriers no longer use them. Most airlines flying out of Ireland are now opting for twin engine A320ies, 757's and Trijets for trans Atlantic routes.

b7472ir.jpg

There was more Boeing 747's flying into this country 20 years ago than is now. Most airlines are now opting for twin engine A320ies, 757's and Trijets for trans Atlantic routes.

Why? Less numbers or more economical?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

More economical and rule changes in ETOPS (Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards), that allowed twin engine aircraft to operate further away from diversion airports. This being due to the extreme reliability of modern turbine engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

There is only one regualr 747 visitor to Dublin a Sinagpore Airlines 747 cargo plane

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

jjbrien wrote: »
    There is only one regualr 747 visitor to Dublin a Sinagpore Airlines 747 cargo plane

Unfortunately this doesn't visit any more. Not needed in Dublin these days

Jeeez yere making it sound like the jumbo is on the way out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Jeeez yere making it sound like the jumbo is on the way out....

Unfortunately it is though. It's my favourite airliner (apart from the retired concorde!), the A380 just doesn't do it for me. But there are less and less 747's on the go. Still a massive amount of them globally though, just not as many here. 777's are replacing them. A330's and A340's also. The new 787 will also replace them (dreamliner). I think the A380 won't sell in anywhere near the same numbers that the 747 did in it's life. The A350 will be Airbus's plane of the near future, which I reckon will also outsell their A380.

• Advertisement

There is a regular white coloured Air France cargo Jumbo at Shannon, not sure of its timing also I have seen an Evergreen tanker 747 there on a few occasions.

There is a regular white coloured Air France cargo Jumbo at Shannon, not sure of its timing also I have seen an Evergreen tanker 747 there on a few occasions.

Wow. Never knew they could use a plane like a jumbo to firefight....Amazing....that ability to fly slowly really is ideal for such a situation. http://youtube.com/watch?v=KvBRWTumoZI&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

a380 crews do training in EINN, along with many airliner crews, when I was up in the tower there was a lufthansa plane doing training, and another doing testing as it was just out from a service.

darragh-k wrote: »
    a380 crews do training in EINN, along with many airliner crews, when I was up in the tower there was a lufthansa plane doing training, and another doing testing as it was just out from a service.

So do these A380's fly to Shannon especially for this purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Yea on occasion, I seen a pic before, Ill get it later and post it, the atco there was telling me about them also at the time.

Its not an irish airline though, just an a380 in testing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

darragh-k wrote: »
    Yea on occasion, I seen a pic before, Ill get it later and post it, the atco there was telling me about them also at the time.

Its not an irish airline though, just an a380 in testing

Was the Airbus test aircraft.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55254476&postcount=33

P9270083.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

http://shannonairportenthusiasts.net/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-370 few more photos there

The only regular 747 service into ireland is the Air France Cargo AFR6457 ORD-DUB-CDG. It used to operate through Shannon.

Other than that there are no other 747's into Ireland regularly

No plans either for any airline to operate the A380 in Ireland- Shannon is the only airport that is A380 capable but would not make much commercial sense to operate it there for pax services. runway in Dublin is too short for it to carry any useful load

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

i believe knock is also A380 capable

amen wrote: »
    i believe knock is also A380 capable

I know that there were upgrades done to that runway a few years ago but maybe it was just lights they upgraded.

Surprised to hear that knock's runway is better than Dublins.

Do shannon and Dublin just have one runway each?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Hi,
    Just wondering what Irish airlines use Jumbo jets. I would imagine just aer lingus as there are only three big airlines in Ireland...alingus, ryanair & aer arann.

Aerlingus stopped using them years ago no Irish Airline uses them now.

• Advertisement

APM wrote: »
    Unfortunately this doesn't visit any more. Not needed in Dublin these days

Are you sure as i snapped her at EIDW not too long ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The Air France cargo 747 doesnt come into SNN anymore, stopped late last year IIRC. There is often an Evergreen 747 up there though, not as often as it used to be. I was working the day the a380 came in, what a sight it was. It touched down and then pulled straight back up again and banked off to the right, crazy to see it so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Melion wrote: »
    The Air France cargo 747 doesnt come into SNN anymore, stopped late last year IIRC. There is often an Evergreen 747 up there though, not as often as it used to be. I was working the day the a380 came in, what a sight it was. It touched down and then pulled straight back up again and banked off to the right, crazy to see it so close.

As I previously stated it only started operating into dublin at most 2 months ago following the retreat of Singapore cargo

What about the AN124's These used to be a regular part of the furniture in Shannon and almost as big as the 747 Cargo.

AN-124-100-.JPG

Melion wrote: »
    The Air France cargo 747 doesnt come into SNN anymore, stopped late last year IIRC.

Are you sure as i snapped her in Jan or Feb i think? ? Il have a look at my piccies for the date, the AN124's still come into EINN but not as much as they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Why did Aer Lingus discontinue their service on the 747?

Fabio wrote: »

Didnt they decide on an all Airbus fleet being economical etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That and the 747s they had were the old 100 or 200 series.

Fabio wrote: »
    Aer Lingus made a stupid mistake having that Shannon stop over, It took decades off the life of these planes. The service life on an aircraft is based on the amount of landings and take offs along with the amount of hours put up. If Aer Lingus didn't stop off at Shannon they could probably be still be using some of these planes. The 747 is by far the preferred plane by most long haul pilots I know in ways of comfort, reliability and safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I don't think it was EI's choice to have the SNN stopover was it ?

There seems to be less and less 747's around , the only place I have seen loads recently was in Tokyo when I was there .

Who buys a 747-400 nowadays ?

I think the reliabilty/power of engines is such that you don't often need 4 engines . Saying that the A340 is really nice , I was on a VS one a few times ( upper class once ) and it was true class , the IFE system makes the ones on the EI aircraft look like a sick joke.

Do C5's ever stop in SNN ? , are the USAF still using them ?

Advertisement