Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 travel restrictions for "final year" students?

• 21-05-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

My daughter is just finishing her 2nd year in college - on completion she hopes to do a H Dip.

She was planning to go to the US for the summer in 2009 when she should be finishing college and before she would hopefully start her H Dip but friends are now telling her that unless you can prove that you have "12 months full time study to return to" they won't issue a J1. Although her plan is to move straight into a H Dip she would not have evidence of this when applying for a J1 visa.

Is there any way around this? ie. could she (or I) set up a bank a/c in the Us with say $5k to show that she would have monies available to her in the event she could not get a job?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Roy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

From what i remember if she can prove she has a job to come back to she would also be able to get on, things may have changed since i went.

If this is still true do you know somone who can write a letter saying sh will be employed with them when she gets back. She wouldn't actually need to take the job.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

It's a very overstated rule. Technically you are supposed to be coming back to a further year of college or a job. I'm in my final year now and i'm going to NY in 2 weeks.

You go about applying the exact same way as you normally would, there's NO difference what so ever with the application process. When she goes to the embassy for her interview she MAY be asked for proof that she is returning, in which case a letter from a future employer or proof that she has applied for the H Dip will do, but in my case i wasn't asked for anything and have had no problems at all.

She'll be fine unless they completely change the system which is unlikely since final year students have only be allowed to go for the last 3/4 years. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

like amull i also am a final year student heading to NY in 6 days...
    at the embassay i was asked what year i was in and when i said 4th was asked what my plans for september were.. and i jsut replied i had a job offer (which i had my father mock up- although i do work now and again for him) and he didnt look for a copy of the offer or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

Thank you for all the replies - they're very helpful!

Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I might as well add to this too! Im a final year student going to California for the Summer on a J1. She should have no problems. I am going with 4 other final year students and we were all told bring a letter saying you had further education to come back to or a job. We all brought some form of letter but not one of us was asked for it. It wasnt even mentioned in any of our interviews.

She should bring some sort of letter about a job or proof she has applied for a further education to be on the safe side but I doubt very much that she'll need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

A few lads in my year jsut wrote their own "letters", completely made up, & the ones that were asked for them used them just fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i did the same and had no problems.my mate did a fake letter for me on his dads headed paper and had no problem.

Advertisement