Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Management Light - NCT Fail??

Options
  • 21-05-2008 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

HI just wondering if a constantly lit engine management light will lead to a NCT failure? The light is showing because there is a 2nd hand ECU in the car that (apparently) doesn't "match" the car model.....it operates the car ok though...also will a dealer take it off my hands with the light showing up??

Comments

Mine passed with a similar light. Who knows on the day thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Thought about blowing the bulb (rather than taking it out) but would that not be a fail/refusal??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

My brother had to get his EML turned off for his driving test, not sure if the same applies to the nct

look it up on there website - http://www.ncts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Take out the bulb and be sure (to be sure):)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isn't the only warning light that constitutes an NCT failure, the airbag light?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The car should be inspected asap, whether it passes/can pass etc the test or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kbannon wrote: »
    Isn't the only warning light that constitutes an NCT failure, the airbag light?

Yes. It's the only one mentioned in the manual.

E92 wrote: »
    The car should be inspected asap, whether it passes/can pass etc the test or not.

It was inspected by Nissan a year ago when they installed the 2nd hand ECU (I wasnt gonna buy a new one for 2,200 euro!)...to make a long story short they told me i need a new ECU to clear the management light.....but they would say that wouldnt they....i wont be goin back to them they charged me 600 quid of labour before they found the problem....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Kind of strange to bring your car in for a car test and ignoring it telling you there is something wrong. It could actually be telling you you have a fault that will fail you.

If you fix the problem the light goes away.;)

EDIT: Call breakers yards and price a second hand unit and fit it yourself.

Kind of strange to bring your car in for a car test and ignoring it telling you there is something wrong. It could actually be telling you you have a fault that will fail you.

If you fix the problem the light goes away.;)

EDIT: Call breakers yards and price a second hand unit and fit it yourself.

I know what the problem is (or at least I'm goin by the Nissan garage diagnosis).....the reason the light is showing is because the ECU in the car is 2nd hand, has a slightly different part number to what a new one would be, and the management light is on because the ECU doesnt "match up" with the car.....for some reason those eejits at Nissan decided to make 4 or 5 different ECUs with different part numbers for exactly the same Almera 2001 model.....and you have to find an ECU with the exact number or else the light shows constantly.....suppose ill just let it thru the test and worry about what the hell to do with it afterwards....im a real freak for things not working properly!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just get it tested, it won't fail for this.

The full test manual is here:)

cheers, have a month or two to go anyway.....oh the joys of car electronics!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Have the same problem myself. The wife's A2 had the EML come on early this week and we can't get it to the garage until Saturday morning. The NCT is tomorrow so I was worried that they may fail it. The car is running perfectly, so hopefully it gets through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement