Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back on dental work?

• 21-05-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I have recently gotten about 800 euros of dental work. each visit cost 135 euros, and i got the 35 back each time on PRSI. The dentist said i was not entitled to anything more.

Someone recently said I may be able to claim tax back on the 800 euros. Is this possible, how does it work , what formd do i need to fill in and when do i need to do it?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Moving this to Accountancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭dooloo

Have a look at www.revenue.ie under leaflets and guides, income tax. In the meantime, the following are the dental expenses which can be claimed for tax relief by way of submitting a completed Form Med1 to your local tax office if you are a PAYE worker.

Dental Treatments Which Qualify For Relief
    Bridgework
    Dental treatment consisting of an enamel-retained bridge or a tooth-supported bridge is allowable.

Crowns
    These are restorations fabricated outside the mouth and are permanently cemented to existing tooth tissue.

Tip Replacing
    This is regarded as a crown where a large part of the tooth needs to be replaced and the replacement is made outside the mouth.

Veneers/Rembrant Type Etched Fillings
    These are a form of crown.

Endodontics - Root Canal Treatment
    This involves the filling of the nerve canal and not the filling of teeth.

Gold Inlays
    These are a smaller version of a gold crown. (Only allowable if fabricated outside the mouth).

Gold Posts
    These are inserts in the nerve canal of a tooth, to hold a crown.

Orthodontic Treatment
    This involves the provision of braces and similar treatments.

Periodontal treatment
    Root Planing - a treatment of periodontal (gum) disease.

Currettage and Debridement - part of root planing.

Gum Flaps - a gum treatment.

Chrome Cobalt Splint - if used in connection with periodontal treatment. (If it contains teeth, relief is not allowable).

Dental implants following treatment of periodontal (gum) disease, which included bone grafting and bone augmentation.

Surgical Extraction of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
    Relief is allowable when undertaken in a hospital, or by a dentist in a dental surgery. Certification from the hospital/dentist will be required to obtain tax relief. The removal of teeth in any other circumstances does not qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Go back to the dentist and ask them for a Med2 form showing all qualifying expenses you've incurred.

You can then look for your refund from the Revenue. Depending on your circumstances (i.e. PAYE or self employed) you can file a tax return or just submit the Med2 to the Revenue.

Joe

Advertisement