Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Present - money

Options
  • 21-05-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

What is a standard acceptable amount to give as a present, going alone to a wedding? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Depends on the relationship between you and the person.

Close Relation >> Acquaintance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

It's a Good friend.

Normally I wouldn't think twice and would just be automatically generous, but money is tight, and the wedding is abroad, so I really don't have huge scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Last wedding I was at (as a couple) it was E200 gift for a distant enough cousin. If cash is tight just throw in what you can i'm sure they're not particularly going to mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

My significant other and I plan to marry abroad next year. We're not expecting money off anyone. If we did get any from family members we certainly wouldn't accept more than €100. That's from a brother or a sister, mind. And, like I said, we're not actually expecting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Ye I would assume as the wedding itself is going to cost you quite a bit the couple probably won't expect a huge amount!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

The general rule for a wedding at home is to cover the cost of the meal (approx). So if the hotel is €100 per head, you give €100. But I have to agree with Lily, a wedding abroad is a different matter. The fact that you are going to the expense of attending their wedding abroad, the couple will not be expecting a huge amount. I have been to a few weddings abroad and the couples seemed genuinely delighted that people were there to share the event. Have they actually asked for money or can you give a gift ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

A recent wedding invite the couple had "We want your presence not your presents" i though that was a nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

I shall be attending a wedding of a close friend in a few months also. I will probably give them money but I would like to also give them some small gift as well. I was looking up traditional gifts on google as I have no idea what to get. Makeup bells seem to be a popular one. Do people give these often @ weddings?

Advertisement