Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Daniels

Options
  • 21-05-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so the idea of him might get a few giggles but there was no getting away from him back in the day!

I starting looking at his website (yes he has one) a while back and its pretty good. Its nice and bloggy and he updates it a fair bit himself with wifey dropping in from her own site now and then!

One of the best bits of his site are the video podcasts that you can grab for itunes (or whatever). They dont show how to do the tricks but having watched a fair few of them I am picking stuff up. Well worth a look.

So what do folk make of him? He might not be everyones cup of tea but there is no denying that he's done well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

For those who think of him as just a TV silly man:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Best reveal ever.
    Hanging off a crane with a cocktail in hand.
    Well flash.

Evening wear and a cocktail seem to be one of his signatures, must be non-alcoholic cocktail though as his doesnt drink afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

That clip makes me feel old...I remember seeing it when it was originally (I presume) broadcast :o

I dont actually think its that old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

6th wrote: »
    I dont actually think its that old.
    Early 90s maybe..:confused: I wouldn't be surprised if its 15 years old anyhow.

Early 90s maybe..:confused: I wouldn't be surprised if its 15 years old anyhow.

Oh right, 15 years ago doesnt seem too long for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah I've got to admit that Paul Daniels was my first introduction to magic and he pretty much fit the bill for what (British) Magicians were doing at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I can't stand the man, as annoying as I have found some magicians, he takes the biscuit, catch phrases finger clicking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

that trick is basically the exact same that keith barry did on his itv xmas special

• Advertisement

In fairness to Paul Daniels though, he did it better and with more atmosphere.

much better, and less obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

He was great in his day.

I just showed my six year old daughter that video, her response "he probably does it with a paper clip". Damn TV corrupting kids minds!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

I remember going to see a live Paul Daniels show in the Gaiety or the <snip>unmentionable<snip>. it must have been about 25 years ago. Great!! We loved him in our family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Paul Daniels is the business, I take it those padlocks weren't the real deal as said, theres no way he could get out if they were real

those padlocks could be 100% real. theres a much simpler explanation :)

Well obviously we wont go saying how its done but it must be noted that Daniels claims not to use camera angles and camera tricks.

no camera angles or tricks used here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's magic! duh!!

He has a small vile of Magic dust (can't remember if it is fairy or pixie) but as soon as the shed is lowered onto him it opens the vile and pours the dust into the keyhole of the locks. the rest is pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Gillo wrote: »
    It's magic! duh!!

He has a small vile of Magic dust (can't remember if it is fairy or pixie) but as soon as the shed is lowered onto him it opens the vile and pours the dust into the keyhole of the locks. the rest is pretty straight forward.

Don't be stupid man, everyone knows fairies are extinct.
    Most magicians use good quality pixie dust extract these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ok i looked at the whole thing, and he could IMO get his hands out , the rings or whatever they are called, were so loose he had to hold his hands up to stop them from slipping out, the one on his head was loose too.

Advertisement