Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we break our lease?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    There's a few of us in a house at the moment and our lease still has another 5 months or so left. It's a one year lease.

We were a little naive when we took the property and the landlord screwed us.

Is there anyway we can get out of this and still get our deposit? One of the lads want's out now you see.

I pray for hope here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

If you can find someone else to assign the lease to then you will be entitled to get your deposit back. You need to ask permission from the landlord to do this, but it does not actually matter whether they agree to it or not, in any case it allows you to get out of the lease. You will have to give a months notice (in writing) before you can leave though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

You can always do the classic,

Don't pay last months rent. Move out without saying anything.

This requires you to be largely untraceable but even then they need some sort of address to send out you PTRB summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Afuera wrote: »
    If you can find someone else to assign the lease to then you will be entitled to get your deposit back. You need to ask permission from the landlord to do this, but it does not actually matter whether they agree to it or not, in any case it allows you to get out of the lease. You will have to give a months notice (in writing) before you can leave though.

Are you sure? My landlord is feckin' dodgy and he has a 2 month deposit off us :eek:

Don't ask me how he managed it but he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

Are you sure?
    Yes. Talk to Threshold if you want to make sure.

Advertisement