Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car - what to do re:NCT, tax etc..?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive just put a deposit down on an '01 golf. Its my first car technically (learnt to drive in a car bought from a family member which had tax nct etc already so it was just a matter of insurance)

The dealer has guaranteed the NCT (which is out of date) and has said i can buy the car and drop it back to him on the date of nct and he'll sort everything, or i can wait and let him get it sorted, then buy it. First question - can i drive it without the nct while awaiting an nct appointment? and can i get it taxed without an nct?

Then comes the tax question. I know change of ownership forms are filled in, sent to shannon etc., so when do i tax the car? do i have to wait to get something back from shannon?

all newbie questions but couldnt seem to find the info online.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

noblestee wrote: »
    Hi,

Ive just put a deposit down on an '01 golf. Its my first car technically (learnt to drive in a car bought from a family member which had tax nct etc already so it was just a matter of insurance)

The dealer has guaranteed the NCT (which is out of date) and has said i can buy the car and drop it back to him on the date of nct and he'll sort everything, or i can wait and let him get it sorted, then buy it. First question - can i drive it without the nct while awaiting an nct appointment? and can i get it taxed without an nct?

Then comes the tax question. I know change of ownership forms are filled in, sent to shannon etc., so when do i tax the car? do i have to wait to get something back from shannon?

all newbie questions but couldnt seem to find the info online.

cheers

It can be taxed without NCT - I think this is a throwback to when there were long queues for the NCT, and people couldn't get it done before their tax was up. I would imagine that you are less likely to get hassle from a Garda with an expired NCT disc, rather than an expired Tax disc. Keep a copy of the receipt for the car, and a photocopy of the change of ownership to your name with you in the car.

You need to get back the VLC from Shannon before you tax it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

cheers eoin, there is a period of time from date of sale to getting it taxed, while waiting for the VLC, during which you can drive? something like 21 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd wait and let the dealer put the car through the NCT before handing over any money. At least that way if it fails for something major, you still have the option of walking away from the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't know if there is any official leeway given. I would follow the advice from bazz26 as well. You could also ask a dealer to put a few months tax on it before you pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

noblestee wrote: »
    cheers eoin, there is a period of time from date of sale to getting it taxed, while waiting for the VLC, during which you can drive? something like 21 days?

There is no lee way on tax, the Gardai usually give 2 months if it's expired but they can take it straight away if they want. If the car is out of more then 2 months you run the risk of it being taken from you at the side of the road, even if you have a sales reciept(these can be faked).

Best bet is as the others have said, get dealer to NCT car and ask them to stick 3+months tax on it before you take it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement