Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the contractors

Options
  • 21-05-2008 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Do you have professional indemnity insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Old thread, but still relevant.

I have to get professional indemnity insurance for a new contracting role. Any recommendations on who to use for this, and a ball park figure? Standard .Net contracting position.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Is it a public sector contract? That's the only time it's mandatory. See if you can get away without it..

If not I was quoted about e1000/year.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Is it a public sector contract? That's the only time it's mandatory.

Cheers for info. Do you have a link to that by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

http://etenders.gov.ie/Media/Default/SiteContent/LegislationGuides/6.%20Guidelines%20for%20the%20Engagement%20of%20Consultants%20by%20the%20Civil%20Service.pdf

Have fun reading all that :P

edit: Hard to find anywhere that you HAVE to have it, rather it says that you must have insurance proportional to the nature of the work required. This seems to be interpreted as you have to have at least some basic cover.

Thanks for the link.

For what it's worth, I've been told that low-level professional indemnity insurance can be purchased for approx €200 per year. Just waiting on a couple of call-backs to confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cregganna

D Hayes wrote: »
    I have to get professional indemnity insurance for a new contracting role. Any recommendations on who to use for this, and a ball park figure? Standard .Net contracting position.

Cheers.

All my recent (UK Financial client) development contracts have required Professional Indemnity insurance - my last one also required Public Liability and Employers Liability!!! Ridiculous.

Anyway, used Hiscox again with:
    PI=2M
    PL=2M
    EL=5M

Cost ~GBP1000 per annum. I find Hiscox easy to deal with for setting up and provision of certs. Not had to claim yet (of course) so can't comment on whether the cover is any good. Used for both my Irish and UK companies.

Advertisement