Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to panic!!!

Options
  • 21-05-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Just after turning 28 today and yet again I'm having another panic attack with the increasing years:eek::eek: I just remember when i was younger and looking at older cousins that were only 23/24 and thinking that they should be married and have kids, the house - the lot. But now there's me in the same boat but with a few years more added onto it!!! With the big 3...0.. approaching soon enough I'm starting to think that maybe I'll never have all that stuff, not that Im the typical settle down type, get married and have kids(can't really ever see me having any), but I definitely though that I would have my personal life:confused: more sorted at this stage and at least have the house part!! I suppose I'm really just worried that I've left it too late:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Believe me I know how you feel, Ive been going through the very same thoughts since my Bday on Monday (27) :eek:

I too thought my personal life would all be "in order" by this ripe old age.
    But ill just keep at it and see what happens:D

As for housing - It really isnt feasible to own a house on your own these days.

PS Happy Birthday !

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

happy birthday!
    dont worry, you're still young.
    Have some cake and relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LASS!

And if it makes you feel better, my aunt was at a complete loss at your age and she's 31 now with a fella, kid and a house. shows you how much can happen in these short spaces of time. Love may very well be around the corner

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Sorry you're probably going to get this a lot, but 28 isn't old.
    Peoples life expectations have changed since we were kids, most people haven't got their lives the way they imagined.
    Why would it be too late?

Happy Birthday but stop stressing over nothing, it will give you wrinkles..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Slapped-by-Glenn-Ford-640.jpg
    Calm yourself lady!!!

You're ONLY 28, there's a lot of living left in ya yet!!! It is common now for people not to even start to settle down till their 30's and later now, whereas years ago, they'd all be married by 18! Times they are a changin and all that.

Now have some cake, a smile and enjoy what life brings instead of worrying about silly things. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

First up, happy birthday!!

Secondly , we live in a far more dynamic society now. People don't really have jobs for life anymore, we marry later, have kids later ( for the most part ) and then to travel and move a lot more. The reason you don't have all that stuff sorted is because it is no longer a priority to get it all done as quick as possible. A house and a family are no longer the ultimate signs of success and this is how it should be.

Remember that the world has changed a lot since we were younger and all dreamed of semi-d's and 2.4 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Happy Birthday

And dont worry about it more people are getting married when older now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Slapped-by-Glenn-Ford-640.jpg
    Calm yourself lady!!!

You're ONLY 28, there's a lot of living left in ya yet!!! It is common now for people not to even start to settle down till their 30's and later now, whereas years ago, they'd all be married by 18! Times they are a changin and all that.

Now have some cake, a smile and enjoy what life brings instead of worrying about silly things. :)

Class pircture ha:p

Happy bday OP, stop stressing(your still young) and get some cake into you, mmmm cake.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Believe me GinnyJo I've plenty of wrinkles already, don't need adding anymore:D. I know age is only a number and all that jazz but it still hits hard at times like this - b-days! Sure I'll relax and munch into the cake this eve as suggeted and forget about it - for today at least!!

Dragan wrote: »
    A house and a family are no longer the ultimate signs of success and this is how it should be.

Remember that the world has changed a lot since we were younger and all dreamed of semi-d's and 2.4 kids

First up I dreamt of being Kylie Minogue and a legal eagle astronaut when I was younger.

Secondly we are born to love and be loved. There is no greater satisfaction in the expierence of life than being part of a good family.
    You can claim otherwise and personal difference all you want. But that is our most fundemental drive.

• Advertisement

Hey I thought I'd be married at 26 and have a kid at 28 and the second at 30.
    I'm 29 and single now...:D

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Secondly we are born to love and be loved. There is no greater satisfaction in the expierence of life than being part of a good family.
    You can claim otherwise and personal difference all you want. But that is our most fundemental drive.

We'll agree to disagree. Besides, family is too open to interpretation.

My friends are my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Wallflower1980

I'm there with you OP. I'll be 28 in 2 months time and it is getting to me when I realised that it will be 10 years now since I left school and nothing worked out like I thought it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Happy Birthday OP!

I'm terrified about turning twenty :/ But sure what can you do?
    Just enjoy the single life while ya can. You'll be married/dead long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Ah life's too short for all that worrying. You'll look back on this when you're 40 and think ya fecking eejit. You're still so young, enjoy it!

Folks, not down playing your concerns at all but i'll be 27 on the 30th and only found what i want to do with my life 4 months ago.

Getting good at it will take anywhere from 5 to 15 years.

Seriously, don't fret.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Compared to everyone else here, Im ancient. So dont feel so bad, young ones. :) I turned 30 *ahem* a while ago. In my 20s I was a worry guts, always thinking that I 'should' be doing this, or I 'should' be achieving that. Ive realised thats all balls. There is no set timescale or agenda, you do what fits you, as and when it works out for you. Stressing over what you should do only distracts you from what you are doing, and what you should be enjoying, right now.

Anyway, 30 only looks old when your looking up at it. Once your looking down, its practically childhood.

Folks, not down playing your concerns at all but i'll be 27 on the 30th and only found what i want to do with my life 4 months ago.

Getting good at it will take anywhere from 5 to 15 years.

Seriously, don't fret.

What do you want to do? Is it the photography?

I love older people, they have so much more personality because they have time to build it up.
    In a way I look forward to people getting older, I find some younger people to be really one dimensional.

What do you want to do? Is it the photography?

Thats the dream anyway!

Fair play to you for finding something that makes you happy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I just remember when i was younger and looking at older cousins that were only 23/24 and thinking that they should be married and have kids, the house - the lot. But now there's me in the same boat but with a few years more added onto it!!!

When people are younger they have no idea what stage a 23, 24 or 28 year old should be in their life, all adults are the same in their view. When you're 35 you will think 28 is incredibly young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Don't get me wrong I don't think I'm ancient or past it or wishing my life away or anything. Its just when i think how quick time went from I was 21 until now I just imagine that it will fly by to 35 just as quick if not quicker. All of a sudden I'll realise god I'm in my mid 30s and still don't have some of the things that i would like from life!!

Good luck with the photography Dragon - fair play to you for giving it a whirl. Dreams determine what you're going to be!!;)

I find some younger people to be really one dimensional.
    Generally because they are afraid to be who they are, or are trying to be something they're not.

Thanks folks. If i ever make it i promise free portraits for the Ladies!;)

With free photoshopping?
    :D

Can't promise what he's photoshop you into though ;)

Thanks folks. If i ever make it i promise free portraits for the Ladies!;)
    Just gonna copy this over to legal issues to see if its legally binding......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

Don't get me wrong I don't think I'm ancient or past it or wishing my life away or anything. Its just when i think how quick time went from I was 21 until now I just imagine that it will fly by to 35 just as quick if not quicker. All of a sudden I'll realise god I'm in my mid 30s and still don't have some of the things that i would like from life!!

QUOTE]

op thanks for posting...all these replies are super! I particularly like Oryx's reply (shows you 'wiser'-not saying older!- people really are wise!) im only mid 20's but have hang ups about my 'career'. I still dont know what I want to be when I grow up! but thankfully there are plenty of people out there who dont think you should know what you want to do as soon as you leave school

op thanks for posting...all these replies are super! I particularly like Oryx's reply (shows you 'wiser'-not saying older!- people really are wise!) im only mid 20's but have hang ups about my 'career'. I still dont know what I want to be when I grow up! but thankfully there are plenty of people out there who dont think you should know what you want to do as soon as you leave school
    Reminds me of a saying I love: 'Perhaps my best years are gone, but I would not want them back, not with the fire in me now.':)

• Advertisement

GinnyJo wrote: »
    With free photoshopping?
    :D

The joy of working with the ladies is that photoshopping would not be required my dear. ;)

Advertisement