Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1991 Carina II 1.6 GL

Options
  • 21-05-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

For the Toyota fan boys,

That do you think a 1991 Carina II 1.6 GL would be worth?
    The car has 46,000 miles with FTSH. One owner from new, always garaged, no rot, near perfect paint, mint interior.
    High spec, with 4x ew, elec sunroof, remote cl etc etc

On paper Carina's of this vintage are not expensive, but what about the above example?

I particularly like this model, hence my curiosity about the value.

Edit... It's not a GLi, it's a GL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

For the Toyota fan boys,

That do you think a 1991 Carina II 1.6 GLi would be worth?
    The car has 46,000 miles with FTSH. One owner from new, always garaged, no rot, near perfect paint, mint interior.
    High spec, with 4x ew, elec sunroof, remote cl etc etc

On paper Carina's of this vintage are not expensive, but what about the above example?

I particularly like this model, hence my curiosity about the value.

In that condition i would guess around €700/€800 maybe....

They are a great car....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With that spec I would say it's a UK car as Irish models were pretty basic back then. 46k miles is very low for a 17 year old car, just have a mechanic check it out especially the timing belt which hopefully isn't the original at this stage. :)

My father had a 2.0 litre GLi when I was young and it was a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sounds really nice Cmar. I would think it should sell for €500, unless its got 2 years nearly full NCT, in which case, you could ask for 700-800

Is it Hatchback or Saloon.

I might actually buy it if it were a hatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I reckon VolvoBoy will pay good money for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

You're right Bazz, it's a UK car.
    I'd love to buy it, but it is a good bit more expensive than the estimates here. Plus there would be the transport cost to get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I'd say about 700, with 2 years nct.

BTW

The Injection was only available on the 2.0 model. On the 1.6 (4-af) of that model they were just carbs.

So ya have a GL not a GLi;)

The GLi in the 1.6 (4a-fe) was availabe on the E.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I think that car is worth a bit more. Its not exactly collectable but they are a real quality car. With that mileage it is likely to provide years of good service.
    I have a 92 Carina E with 80K that belonged to my father. Properly serviced, fresh NCT, seat covers from new, plastic still on the inside of the drivers door. Absolutely mint condition. I will sell it in a few months time and would expect to get at least €1200. A few lads in the trade recon I could get more. If yours is as clean as mine then I think it should be worth about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it should be worth closer to €1500 with that mileage.

VB, your right about the GL bit. I took another look at the pics and it is indeed a GL. :o

Colm, thats around the asking price for it. I am very tempted to buy it...

carinady2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like a minter.

Just make sure you have it checked for signs of rust especially underneth and the chassis. Would not be uncommon on a 17 year old Jap car especially in the UK where they treat their roads with salt during the winter.

• Advertisement

looks very tidy. VRT would be tiny.

looks alright from the back too!

carinaeog0.jpg
    carinainteriorbu2.jpg
    carinakeyski9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You know something, when you see the sh*te cars on the market these days I think there could actually be a market for clean tidy cars like this Carina. Modern cars are getting too complex for their own good lately and they're getting very expensive to fix. With stuff like this very little goes wrong and rust isn't as huge a problem as it was.

carina3mk6.jpg
    carina2bl1.jpg
    carina1dp1.jpg

€315 for vrt.

All in I reckon it would be close to €2k on the road.

junkyard wrote: »
    You know something, when you see the sh*te cars on the market these days I think there could actually be a market for clean tidy cars like this Carina. Modern cars are getting too complex for their own good lately and they're getting very expensive to fix. With stuff like this very little goes wrong and rust isn't as huge a problem as it was.

+1

Easy to mend mechanical and electrics on this era of a Toyota. Plenty of space to work on the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My dad had one until about 6-7 years ago. Great car. the GL in Ireland was much poorer spec wise. the GLi came in 2.0 liftback only AFAIK and for its time getting standard central locking from 91 in th XL wasn't bad.

the GL had much nicer interior than the XL (As I remember it) GL usually had a blue interior with velour seats, where the XL had rough cloth with grey plastic on the backs of the seats.

I remember when they got an auto reverse cassette deck. the cutting edge of technology (in Toyotas anyway!)

This one has 4x elec windows, elec sunroof, remote locking, elec mirrors.
    More spec that some cars these days :p

Great colour too...

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the GL had much nicer interior than the XL (As I remember it) GL usually had a blue interior with velour seats, where the XL had rough cloth with grey plastic on the backs of the seats.

It looks to have grey velour, but it has grey leatherette on the backs of the front seats

Maybe Irish specs were different. the Carina XL trim I remember was almost identical to the trim you'd get in a Corolla XL from 88-91

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

junkyard wrote: »

Hence why I have an 18yr. old Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

very true mate Id say theres a market for cars like these aslong as you can keep getting parts theres no reason why they wont keep going, ...........look at the cars in cuba sure
    I remember getting car sick in the back of one of these back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

woop wrote: »
    I remember getting car sick in the back of one of these back in the day
    Baaad traveller! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

VB, your right about the GL bit. I took another look at the pics and it is indeed a GL. :o

Colm, thats around the asking price for it. I am very tempted to buy it...

carinady2.jpg

275024087a2870763051b236552988l.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    Snap!:D

Feast your eyes some more if ya like; http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/volvoboy744/

Do you know of any good ones for sale over here VB?

Do you know of any good ones for sale over here VB?

The 91 -D- 1723 in the photo there cost me 400 blips and the engine was as sweet as a nut, ran perfect for a car with 178k miles.

Got it in the buy and sell, they are good ones out there just have to look, The B&S comes out every Monday Wednesday and friday, so get it early and you'll be laughing.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

colm_mcm wrote: »

I remember when they got an auto reverse cassette deck. the cutting edge of technology (in Toyotas anyway!)

I was comparing the UK GL to Irish GL, though I think the XL had CL before the GL....if you get me:D:D Looking back the blue velour and vinyl upholstry was horrible, like the wine in mercs of old:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What's the difference between an Irish spec Carina II XL and GL?

E92 wrote: »
    What's the difference between an Irish spec Carina II XL and GL?

Well the photos are of GLs

So the XL's dont have C/C Bumpers dont have black window surrounds, dont have central locking, dont have velor.

However the UK spec 'Machplay' model had the exerior of the XL and the interior of the GL:D

AFAIK the're more XL's sold in the Diesel than Petrol.

/hangs up anorak:pac:

• Advertisement

there was a mid life revision of spec, this confuses things somewhat!

from what I remember, an 88/89 XL had windey windows, 2 speaker stereo, no central locking, 2 spoke steering wheel, grey seats with vynal backs, GL had colour coding, different steering wheel, velour seats, 4 speaker stereo, central locking and electric windows.

don't know what spec was added around 1990, but there was central locking added to the XL anyway.

I loved the blue velour seats (shared with the Camry GL, IIRC) they felt lovely!

Advertisement