Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1991 Carina II 1.6 GL

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Puts my anorak on:

Irish XL Carina II only every came in the estate version. It had black bumpers, steel centre caps on the wheels, no rev counter, basic seat fabrics, no central locking until around 1990 afaik.

Irish 1.6 petrol or 2.0 diesl GL Carina II saloon and hatchback had colour coded bumpers, rev counter, velour seat fabric, rear centre arm rest and rear head rests (hatch only). Full plastic wheel trim. Central locking from 1990. No electric windows or mirrors though.

Irish 2.0 petrol GLi Carina II had multi-point fuel injection, electric heated mirrors, electric windows, electric sunroof, upgraded stero/cassette deck, front bumper lip spoiler and rear boot spoiler.

No XL saloon and hatchback offically sold in Ireland.

My father bought one of the last 2.0 GLi models back in June 1992 as he didn't like the shape of the Carina E.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm pretty sure there were Carina II XL models other than the estate. I remember them! Maybe they were all imports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Fountains of knowledge we have here!

I never remember Carina IIs with leccy windows bar the ultra rare GLi version.

From the sounds of it the GLi model here was equivalent to GL trim across the pond.

I only ever remember the Corolla having the different steering wheel designs though.

Now there's another question for the Toyota anoraks: what's the difference between the late 80s/very early 90s(sorry I don't know what E number one it is) Corolla XL, GL and GTi?

And also the Carina E XL/i and GL/i? Wasn't there CD and CDX versions too across the pond? No doubt they were considerably plusher than anything we got here:(!

For the Carina E IIRC the XL/i version had a height adjustable steering wheel and drivers' seat, rev counter, drivers' lumbar support, central locking and PAS(you can tell how long ago this is when the items are things worthy of mention in a car's spec list:D), and the GL/i added leccy windows(front and rear) and mirrors, a different steering wheel design and wheel covers, as well as body coloured bumpers with a black rubbing strip. They fitted a driver's airbag to all models in mid '95. Didn't Toyota also fit these with a windscreen wiper de-icer too?

And then there was the GTi model of course with more body coloured bits like the mirrors and door handles. Dunno if they had more gadgets or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the BIGGEST mistake of my life was letting my son use my 2ltr gli as a trade in as he had no deposit. i am still having flashbacks, as fast as any twin cam at a roundabout, got many a laugh, reliable, cheap parts, go for it you will never regret it, also the online buy and sell often is better than the of the shelf version, lots of people use it to advertise for personal reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

E92 wrote: »
    Fountains of knowledge we have here!

For the Carina E IIRC the XL/i version had a height adjustable steering wheel and drivers' seat, rev counter, drivers' lumbar support, central locking and PAS(you can tell how long ago this is when the items are things worthy of mention in a car's spec list:D), and the GL/i added leccy windows(front and rear) and mirrors, a different steering wheel design and wheel covers, as well as body coloured bumpers with a black rubbing strip. They fitted a driver's airbag to all models in mid '95. Didn't Toyota also fit these with a windscreen wiper de-icer too?

And then there was the GTi model of course with more body coloured bits like the mirrors and door handles. Dunno if they had more gadgets or not.

Your 100% right about the E, also the GTi had colour coded mud flaps:pac:

• Advertisement

Now there's another question for the Toyota anoraks: what's the difference between the late 80s/very early 90s(sorry I don't know what E number one it is) Corolla XL, GL and GTi?

The XL (until the mid life facelift) had windey windows, no central locking, JVC R34 2 speaker stereo, no internal adjustment of door mirrrors whatsoever, no rear seatbelts, grey interior on with some exterior colours, and maroon on others, silver steel wheels with centre caps, black bumpers, handles and mirrors, no rev counter, and no height adjust on the seat.

GTi had a different dash, with extra dials where the radio on the standard model was, and the radio down low in the dash just over the cig lighter. colour coding, rev counter,

Can't remember the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When it says FTSH is that one a year fom new or one at the mileage recomedations. If it was at the recommended mileage intervals with no regard for time then fluids and filters could have been sitting for a few years between services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Stekelly wrote: »
    When it says FTSH is that one a year fom new or one at the mileage recomedations. If it was at the recommended mileage intervals with no regard for time then fluids and filters could have been sitting for a few years between services.

True....
    Although a good service should sort it out.

If I could get this over to Ireland cheaply, I'd buy it.
    Anyone know how to get it over for 2-300 euro.
    (I don't have time to go get it!)

mileage a bit strong on that UK one, why wouldn't the owner VRT it, the VRT is tiny money. sounds a bit strange to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Don't forget the Exec which added the bootlip spoiler, alloys, a sunroof, headlamp washer jets and the in grill (between the headlights) "auxilliary" (fog) lights [moved to bumper on facelift like here], and of course; velour seats.

Slightly OT. PAS was still on the options list of the 97 Starlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

ninty9er wrote: »
    Don't forget the Exec which added the bootlip spoiler

I hate those giant bootlip spoilers. They realy do 'spoil' the car IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

For the Toyota fan boys,

That do you think a 1991 Carina II 1.6 GL would be worth?
    The car has 46,000 miles with FTSH. One owner from new, always garaged, no rot, near perfect paint, mint interior.
    High spec, with 4x ew, elec sunroof, remote cl etc etc

On paper Carina's of this vintage are not expensive, but what about the above example?

I particularly like this model, hence my curiosity about the value.

Edit... It's not a GLi, it's a GL

if shes as you describe, 800-1200 , id pay 4-600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The XL (until the mid life facelift) had windey windows, no central locking, JVC R34 2 speaker stereo, no internal adjustment of door mirrrors whatsoever, no rear seatbelts, grey interior on with some exterior colours, and maroon on others, silver steel wheels with centre caps, black bumpers, handles and mirrors, no rev counter, and no height adjust on the seat.

The pre-facelift EE100 Corolla XL was as colm described, plus:
    - No passenger side wing mirror
    - "Economy" lights on the instrument panel (seemed to be common on '80s Toyotas - found it very interesting as a child for some reason)

There was a facelift in either late '90 or early '91. Changes were:
    - New Toyota symbol badge on grille
    - 2 wing mirrors
    - Body coloured bumpers
    - 2 rear 3-point seat beats (still nothing in the centre!)
    - Revised interior and dashboard (no more economy lights :( )
    - Kenwood auto-reverse tape deck with 4 speakers (rear speakers dealer-fitted, possibly optional or maybe aftermarket - cheap junk cones disintegrated after about 6 years anyway)

I'm sure there were a few other differences, but I haven't been in a pre-'91 one in at least 12 years at this stage!

Corolla XL pre facelift -They definately had a passenger mirror BTW. here's an interior pic of one

CB4_1067564_5_368699.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

€315 for vrt.

All in I reckon it would be close to €2k on the road.

Not worth bothering to pay 2k to get that on the road... you WILL get a nice clean one for 1000 or under in this country on irish plates with nct.
    They're a real good car but you'd be as well off buying a nice clean irish one and upgrading the spec.. although i dont really see what huge difference in spec there is, as plenty of them that ive been in have had nice interiors, electric windows (in the front at least) etc... all they'd really need is a nice cd player and some good speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

My uncle's '87 one didn't have one - maybe they added them soon after? I think the seats are the same post-facelift (my grandad has a '91), and the rest of the interior except the instrument panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Not worth bothering to pay 2k to get that on the road... you WILL get a nice clean one for 1000 or under in this country on irish plates with nct.
    They're a real good car but you'd be as well off buying a nice clean irish one and upgrading the spec..

You're right, 2k would be too much to spend. But it would be a nice car to have. THB I'm just looking for a reliable run around for a few months before I drop a few euro on a 04 or 05 hilux.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

seems good buy, considering the low milage. Toyota are the best made cars in the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Boggins127

€315 for vrt.

All in I reckon it would be close to €2k on the road.

A bit much for a mark 2 carina??
    U cud pick up a way newer car 4 that price n like vrt and transport costs its hardly worth it like? 1k max
    Regards
    Dave:cool:

Advertisement