Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange charges on my current account

Options
  • 21-05-2008 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi there, recently I set myself up with this Online banking lark and have discovered some strange withdrawels from my account.

Normally id get my bill at the end of the month and not remember what I did or where but on this its different.

For example on Mondaay theres a withdrawal at 21:23 for 50 quid, now I know I didnt take anything out nor was I near an ATM at that point. The description is also somewhat confusing coming up as RA followd by a bunch of numbers. Should I be worried about this or is this some bill I didnt remember?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Sounds like it could be a direct debit or transfer to a bank account. Have you any DD's set up ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If your bank has a real world presence, Id phone your local branch and ask them, they usually understand those codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

The only bill that should be direct debit is my phone bill which I dont pay till next week...

One of the withdrawals has no code at all, just the date and time it was made at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

RA, usually followed by 4 numbers, is an ATM cash withdrawal from one of those ATM's you often see in shops (statoil garages etc.), standalone units not usually built into the wall. A lot of the time it can take a while for the withdrawal to actually appear on your bill - have you taken out 50 euro at all over the previous 7 days up to the charge appearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Not tryng to be smart....But phone the Bank already
    Surely they are in the best position to tell you what's what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

As Kensington says, it could be a delayed charge on your bill, and as Chef says, call your bank. Next month try and keep not of every interaction you have with your bank account, so you'll be able to see if it fits with your statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

sometimes direct debits and atm withdrawals that are made from friday evening onwards wont show up until the monday (or tuesday if its a bank holiday). and if you use laser card they can take up to a few weeks in some cases. so i wouldnt panic just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

This happens a lot with atm transactions ,sometimes a newer withdrawl will show up before an older one.

More often than not ,the amount will have been debited already. I can tell by the list of accounts and the balances .

One transaction took three months to appear ,it was a statoil garage who's laser was offline at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

board om wrote: »
    sometimes direct debits and atm withdrawals that are made from friday evening onwards wont show up until the monday (or tuesday if its a bank holiday). and if you use laser card they can take up to a few weeks in some cases. so i wouldnt panic just yet.

He is right, it happened to me the same.
    Or...if you trusted someone with your pin ...joking;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The laser goes through when the shop goes to the bank, give or take an hour or 22.

ATM's sometimes report the wrong day, sometimes listing the day before you took the money out, which gets really confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I think if you take money out of a National Irish bank machine its treated as an International Transaction as they have moved some business/operations up North so it takes a few days to appear on your statement.

Dont know if thats fully correct, just what I was told a while ago.

Not sure if its the same for Ulster Bank. Dunno where they're based.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

chef wrote: »
    Not tryng to be smart....But phone the Bank already
    Surely they are in the best position to tell you what's what.
    +1

There is no point speculating as the only way to find out for sure is to contact them.

Advertisement