Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a Netopia 2247 Eircom Router recieve wireless signals?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Moved into my girlfriends house yesterday and they already have a router set up with one laptop with a built in network card. I have a Netopia router from my old house and was wondering can it be used to recieve wireless signals from the other Netopia 2247 down the stairs?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Geff wrote: »
    Moved into my girlfriends house yesterday and they already have a router set up with one laptop with a built in network card. I have a Netopia router from my old house and was wondering can it be used to recieve wireless signals from the other Netopia 2247 down the stairs?

What sort of set up are you trying to achieve? Who are you getting bb from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

From what I am reading here is that she also has a Netopia 2247? - and the signal doesn't reach upstairs or something?

Little confused :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Give more details about the setup and what you want to achieve.

It reads that both routers are netopia 2247's and you want to transfer data between them wirelessly.

Do you just have one machine yourself or more? Is it a laptop or mix of desktops and laptops?

I would have assumed it was just a laptop in which case you could just use its internal wireless adapter which it more than likely has...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Ok there is a Netopia 2247 wireless router downstairs and she uses it for her laptop, instead of paying 30 bucks for a wireless USB adapter can I use my second Netopia 2247 wireless router to connect my own desktop to the internet (via this first router)? It won't be wired to the telephone line so is it possible to recieve wireless signal from the first router. I don't want to set up a network for sharing just get web access. Its an Eircom 2mb connection.

In short can a Netopia 2247 wireless router RECIEVE signals as well as distribute them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This or if you can afford the extra €1.50, this

• Advertisement

Ok there is a Netopia 2247 wireless router downstairs and she uses it for her laptop, instead of paying 30 bucks for a wireless USB adapter can I use my second Netopia 2247 wireless router to connect my own desktop to the internet (via this first router)? It won't be wired to the telephone line so is it possible to recieve wireless signal from the first router. I don't want to set up a network for sharing just get web access. Its an Eircom 2mb connection.

In short can a Netopia 2247 wireless router RECIEVE signals as well as distribute them?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

dub45 wrote: »
    No
    So this method doesn't work then? (Presuming that the OP is asking about bridging the routers.)

So this method doesn't work then? (Presuming that the OP is asking about bridging the routers.)

That method involves an ethernet cable. the question is can a netopia receive wireless signals from another netopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

That method involves an ethernet cable. the question is can a netopia receive wireless signals from another netopia.
    Ah, it wasn't made clear whether the ethernet cable was only used to put it the correct mode to establish a bridging connection and then removable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No
    From reading the manual a while back, thought I saw something about linking up two 2247's wirelessly. Also found the option to do so within the routers webpage. At work now, but will post more about this later, if I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brigantia

i want to link into my desktop from my labtop through my netopia router, is it possible and how do you do it?

both machine's are on now, and connected to the router. the desktop doesn't work as its down, thats why i want to access it on the labtop from the router so i can take of my files. save them on the laptop, sort out the desktop and put the files back on when its fixed.

is that possible.
    and if it is explain it to me in a step by step way.

Advertisement