Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone doing the Croi Cycle this Sunday ?

• 21-05-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I've entered to do this on Sunday, just the 29-mile bit, not the full 75. Might do that next year if I reckon I'll survive it.
    Any other boarders taking part this weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ya I'll be doing the full distance again this year, have been doing it every year since it started!

Hopefully the weather will be better then what it was earlier today, went out for some training and got very wet and cold so came back after only 20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Hey folks,

I've entered to do this on Sunday, just the 29-mile bit, not the full 75. Might do that next year if I reckon I'll survive it.
    Any other boarders taking part this weekend?

Never heard of this event before - where does it start from and what is the route.

the last time I did it, it started in Eyre sq and did a circuit of lough corribh, via oughterard, maam cross, cong
    breakfast before it in the university, and the best bit, was the freshly baked apple tarts and cakes in cong.

good route, well organised.

www.croi.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

The start is Dangan Sports ground (at least it was last year), out the Clifden road, through Oughterard, right in Maam Cross & around the lake through Cong, Headford & I think back to Dangan to finish.

As posted above, www.croi.ie is the site, this is my second time doing the short run.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Hoping to do the full circuit. Looks like we'll have a bit of a NE wind to contend with: http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/galway. I've never ridden it, but anyone who has raves about how well organised it is.
    Anyway - hope you enjoy it Cormac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

ya the NE winds on Sunday might be a bit of an obstacle for anyone doing the 75 miler.
    The road out to Moycullen, and on to maam cross is not too hilly but from maam cross to maam there is a 1st gear hill/mountain, then its freewheel into maam. theres a bus back to galway for anyone doing the 29miler, and a lorry for the bikes. The best bit of this cycle is the hang-sandwiches any tay in maam...keeps ya goin!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Thanks to Dursey for the tip-off about the apple tarts at Cong. Just the motivation I needed after Maam's cross, when climbing into a nasty headwind. Great weather, a good friendly bunch and I'm happy I finished the 75 miles.:)
    How'd you get on Cormac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Thanks to Dursey for the tip-off about the apple tarts at Cong. Just the motivation I needed after Maam's cross, when climbing into a nasty headwind. Great weather, a good friendly bunch and I'm happy I finished the 75 miles.:)
    How'd you get on Cormac?

Got on fine, managed to get with a group of what looked like club riders & stay with them most of the way - until the climb after Maam Cross straight into the wind.

Only downside was the long wait for the bus back - got there far quicker than I thought I could, had nearly a 2 hour wait.
    Though the sangers, coffee & chocolate helped to pass the time. :)

I would have been a long way round by the time it left, if I'd continued on the full route.

Think I'll aim to complete the 75 miles next year, get a bit more cycling in before then. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

I am going to try and do this for the first time this year, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to wear, bring, any clever pearls of wisdom out there?

Advertisement