Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Ban from PI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Thaedydal wrote: »
    PI is a serious forum.
    There are other places where I am far from serious, be glad I didn't join in your Thunderdrome thread :D

internet-24591.jpg

Sorry couldn't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I still see it as either an insult or rude and uncivil posting both of which are ban worthy.

But it appears as though not even the person it was directed at, nor even many of the people who saw it thought of it as an actual personal insult or serious jibe in any way.

The post was a clear break from the series of monotonous replies and injected at least something into the boring thread.

And had another poster started that thread I do wonder how long it would have lasted in PI seeing as though the thread itself is not a Personal Issue but could have been more suited to, for example Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

castie wrote: »
    ...Considering you deleted the post without telling me and i did include a message in the second post saying i think something happened.

How was the OP to know that their thread had been deleted. According to castie you didn't mention it on thread nor send them a PM.
    As I've already pointed out, with all the glitches that there has been on boards recently it would have been fair to assume that perhaps the page had timed out etc.

Without any warning you can't really blame them for thinking that. After all you said you banned them for posting twice but without any kind of notification how could they have known their first post had been deleted and not simply timed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Kintarō Hattori formerly poster eo980

That explains a few things, cheers updated my sig with your new nick.

Kintarō Hattori formerly poster eo980

That explains a few things, cheers updated my sig with your new nick.

What does it explain exactly? How is my former nick any relevance to this thread? It's interesting that prior to this thread you had quoted me in your sig but then stopped. Now as a result of this thread you're quoting me again.

• Advertisement

What does it explain exactly? How is my former nick any relevance to this thread? It's interesting that prior to this thread you had quoted me in your sig but then stopped. Now as a result of this thread you're quoting me again.
    Only one would have to be Thaedydal.
    Well to be honest I've often found her aggressive, hypocritical, argumentative, condascending and completely lacking a sense of humour. All in all everything I dislike in a person. When I see her posts it annoy's the bejebus out of me.

Oh and she takes herself way to seriously.

Cos I got bored of looking at it but I guess I have changed my mind.
    It reminds me not to take you and those that just don't like what they perceive as me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PI is a serious forum.
    There are other places where I am far from serious, be glad I didn't join in your Thunderdrome thread :D

Its true, she makes awesome sambos in BGRH :D

+1. PI is a serious forum. Serious people come in with serious problems and you have to take it quite seriously in there. You can't take for granted that someone posting up a suicidal plea thread is not being serious; so its very important to crack down on misleading jabs like 'smelly mince' and many others, because you don't know the person reading it or the person saying it: whom a lot of the time are anonymous. Shoot first, ask later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Overheal wrote: »

+1. PI is a serious forum. Serious people come in with serious problems and you have to take it quite seriously in there. You can't take for granted that someone posting up a suicidal plea thread is not being serious; so its very important to crack down on misleading jabs like 'smelly mince' and many others, because you don't know the person reading it or the person saying it: whom a lot of the time are anonymous. Shoot first, ask later.

I think the argument is more the fact the thread itself wasn't a PI.

Cos I got bored of looking at it but I guess I have changed my mind.
    It reminds me not to take you and those that just don't like what they perceive as me personally.

Convenient that you just changed your mind in the last 30 mins or so.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

+1. PI is a serious forum. Serious people come in with serious problems and you have to take it quite seriously in there. You can't take for granted that someone posting up a suicidal plea thread is not being serious; so its very important to crack down on misleading jabs like 'smelly mince' and many others, because you don't know the person reading it or the person saying it: whom a lot of the time are anonymous.

This was not a typical PI thread. There were no anonymous posters.

And yes i agree that it needs to be strict in PI but when the person replies themselves with a witty comment "better change my aftershave" i think it can be said that no harm was done and no offense taken.

• Advertisement

Convenient that you just changed your mind in the last 30 mins or so.

Well you see darling I wasn't aware of your nick change until you started to reply to this thread and there was just some familiar about the tone of your posts.

Well you see darling I wasn't aware of your nick change until you started to reply to this thread and there was just some familiar about the tone of your posts.

I see darling. I don't buy it but I see.

Can you two please not turn this into a slagging match between yourselves?

castie wrote: »
    Can you two please not turn this into a slagging match between yourselves?

Well that's certainly not my intention. I don't know if you noticed but I have been saying that your ban seems a little unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

erious people come in with serious problems and you have to take it quite seriously in there. You can't take for granted that someone posting up a suicidal plea thread is not being serious; so its very important to crack down on misleading jabs like 'smelly mince' and many others, because you don't know the person reading it or the person saying it: whom a lot of the time are anonymous. Shoot first, ask later.

That is fair and all with a serious thread. But have you actually looked at the thread in question? Its nothing more than a "Hi, new mod and goodbye old mod". Not a personal issue thread at all and just a load of replies with the same text really. The one post that was different and even when done as a joke (as both the poster stated in this thread AND the person who it was said to laughed it off on the thread) gets the user banned.

I don't know, but should everyone on PI just post the exact same replies from now on just for the sake of not getting banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Y'know this thread could go on bitchin' back and forth for like... a whole week, then castie's ban will be over and we'll all be sad we have nothing to be bitchin' bout.

;_;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56003851&postcount=36

This post called Thaed a witch yet its still there and poster is not banned.

Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

'Cause Thaed's a witch. ooooh, spookay! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

castie: it broke the charter regardless of whether or not i make light of it.
    Edit: Castie did apologise via PM. and the statement about thaed by windsock is in fact a statement of truth

Further:
    Despite assertations that what is posted on the internet is not serious business (and you will see it crop up time and again as if in exuse for behaviour patterns), it is in specific forums. This is worth remembering on such a noticeboard as large as boards. With its huge mix of different types. Depending on what is said, where its said and who said it there is the potential at least for upset and worse if an individual decides to act on what is being mooted as serious advice.
    An obvious one would be someone saying go for it, in teh case of somenoe contemplating self harm.
    Damn typical my fnal post is in feedback lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I know a sense of humour is not not normally required to mod PI given the gravity of many of the threads here but in fairness, is it not blatantly obvious that the piss was being taken? It was a light-hearted thread after all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Bad decision to ban imo.

Also why is smelling like gone off mince an insult? mmMMmm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Bad decision to ban imo.

Also why is smelling like gone off mince an insult? mmMMmm

Thank you! At last someone else who thinks gone off mince is being treated unfairly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

I also think it was a bad ban. A rank ban. So bad it smells like...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I think there doesnt seem to be the right kind of consistancy between the mods on boards, Now this is not a personal attack on anyone just a comment.

You have this thread that we are in now that says the charter must be abided to,

And then you have this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055297536&page=3
    which states that the charter is only a "guide line". See post 57.

Seriously it is all getting a bit confusing.

Maybe someone can clear up, whether the chart is a "guideline" or "The Law".

Thanks

Thank you! At last someone else who thinks gone off mince is being treated unfairly here.
    I think we should all go and smell some gone off mince and report back here on how it made us feel.

So MF, did you go and smell some? If so, how was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I also think it was a bad ban. A rank ban. So bad it smells like...

she made a bit of a meal of it in fairness.

Quality wrote: »
    I think there doesnt seem to be the right kind of consistancy between the mods on boards, Now this is not a personal attack on anyone just a comment.

You have this thread that we are in now that says the charter must be abided to,

And then you have this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055297536&page=3
    which states that the charter is only a "guide line". See post 57.

Seriously it is all getting a bit confusing.

Maybe someone can clear up, whether the chart is a "guideline" or "The Law".

Thanks

I understand what your saying but you have to remember that each forum is different. You can't say that After Hours and Personal Issues are alike. They attract different people and different issues which is why they have different charters.

It's not really a fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

So MF, did you go and smell some? If so, how was it?

Well I'm just back from a trip McDonalds... but it seems all the staff down there love me since I threatened a customer who was acting the bully there last week.. so I actually got fresh meat for a change in my burger...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I understand what your saying but you have to remember that each forum is different. You can't say that After Hours and Personal Issues are alike. They attract different people and different issues which is why they have different charters.

It's not really a fair comparison.

Or maybe different rules for different posters...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Quality wrote: »
    Or maybe different rules for different posters...

Especially ones it would appear who have no qualms about singling people out for bullying treatment and snitching on just about everybody else to deflect from thier tactics.Classic schoolyard cowardly behaviour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement