Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance and Venture Management questions.

• 21-05-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi, my brother is thinking about doing this course and is looking for some info from somebody who is currently studying it. Is there anyone here that's doing this course in NUIM. What's it like? Is is tough? Is there a big work load? How many hours a week etc... Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 littleangle

Im finishing up this degree at the moment, last exam ever on wednesday! Its a great degree because it has a lot of diversity. He should really have a interest in both business and finance/economics as well as either Computer science, biology, engineering, or equestrian as the degree is basically a honours degree split equally between three subjects.

I chose computer science as my option subject which is quite difficult, involves programming etc. It is certainly not somethin you can learn in the last month of college.... He'll have a few weeks to decide which one he wants to take tho! We only had the option of cs or biology as we were the first year... the general consensus is that biology was easier but think the results were similar!

Alot of the course is continuous assessment so if he likes working on projects/assignments/presentations over exams it could suit him. There is also a lot of team work involved.

The course was set up with an entrpreneurial feel but the department has since changed so not sure how different the course is now... Three guys from my year have set up a company and have taken a year out to pursue that, this is what the degree is meant to encourage!

My class started off as 28 people, of which 15 will graduate this year. 6 did year long placements, 2 dropped out and the others repeated/deferred...

The hours vary depending on which subject he takes, basically its 6 modules per semester, each with 2 hours per week, plus tutorials, labs. Probably in the region of 20 hours a week plus assignments...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Thanks for all the info. This is the sort of stuff he wants to know. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

to be honest, the diversity of the course bites us in the arse a bit. other computer science students for example, do up to 6 modules a semester of CS, so as we only do two, you get a lot of confused faces when lecturers say 'As you'll remember from X class...' which we wouldn't have done. Similar situation with Finance.

The course isn't an entrepreneurial now as it was set out to be, I feel its lost a lot of focus, and there's a lack of support now when students have problems compared to when we set out first.

There's also a lack of facilities when seeking a work placement. There's one placement officer, she only has to deal with about 40 students, and that's her entire job, but I know one student in 3rd year only starting placement now, and you're meant to start at the end of January!

The course was interesting, but they've gradually been changing it to make it crapper and harder. So I'd get your brother to do a bit of research on the actual modules involved and see if he likes them!

Advertisement