Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Brawl Urgent Help Needed

Options
  • 21-05-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

there is a guy who lives next door to me and owns (im pretty sure its...) a staffordsire bull terrier.
    anyway the man was walkin down the road one day and my dog (an irish collie) went over to greet him as he is well known to the family.
    the mans terrier was locked in his house but got out through a window unknown to the man and ran down the road and attacked my collie.
    he grabd my dog by the back of the neck and would not let go as my dog was whimping and being dragged around for about 7 minutes.
    nothing could be done to make him relaeas so my mother called my other neighbour who came straith away with his gun, and with the consent of the owner he shot the staffie in the side. he immediately let go and ran up the road. as he was already injured the owner consented to the dog being put down.
    Anyway aftwerawards the man who owned the staffie noticed that he had gotten bitten while trying to split up the brawl and is certain it was my dog that bit him, so while mam brought him to get a tetnis shot. his brother-in-law came down to our house and said he was glad the dog was shot as it was too dangerous to have around children.
    BUT the next day the man's brother-in-law rang my mother and gave out like mad to her on the fun claiming he was in fact the holder of the dog licence even though the dog lived with the man next door for quite a few months. he was angry that the staffie was put down even tough his owner gave consent to him being shot saying "he's too dangerous"
    he said he wanted my dog to be put down also.
    but when brought to the vet to have his wounds looked at the vet said he found no reason why this dog should be put down, he was extremely timid and well tempered and that the bite was most likely a frantic accident. he said "if anyonewants this dog to be put down or has any trouble with him send them straight to me and i will vouch for him"
    as a safety precaution my parents gave there statement to the police before the other family.
    but today the dog warden was round but my parents werent home, he tole me that the mans brother-in-law rang him and that he was just there to clear up somthing.

i need help and advice, is there any law or anything i can do to prevent my dog being put down, i have had hi for 8 years without incident and is my best friend.

please tell me if i am entitled to any rights that can prevent my dog being put down.
    as being put-down would accomplish nothing except grant revenge to one family and break anothers heart

please help its extremely urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thankyou

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

if he put his hand in between 2 dogs fighting etc..then there is no way he can prove your dog ment to bite him. i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 timberwolf2.0

yeh that what i said but he is adamant it was my dog
    but how can he hav a good case
    i mean if he was dumb enough to put his hand in between two fighting dogs, how did he not expect to get bitten

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Explain to the dog warden what happened.
    It doesn't sound like the dog warden is intending to seize your dog and put it down - just because someone calls and demands it doesn't mean it will happen. Especially given that the person demanding your dog be put down isn't the person who was bitten!
    Give the dog warden the vets details and ask them to contact the vet too. There's a lot going in your dogs favour here - he was the victim after all. Also - you don't know for certain that your dog bit the man - in the confusion of separating two fighting dogs people can (and do) get bitten.

One thing to note - I read in the indo or times a couple of years ago that a woman was fined heavily for not having a dog license. The dog had belonged to the neighbour and when he died she took the dog in (along with the neighbours dog license). She was successfully prosecuted for not having a dog license in her name for a dog on her premises despite the fact that the deceased neighbours license was still valid. The brother in law holding the license at a different address meant that they were technically breaking the law.

thanks a million thats really helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Is your dog fenced in?
    I don't think he can make you get your dog put down. It was pretty dumb to put his hand in the middle of a dog fight.
    It's a shame the staffie had to suffer like that. :( I hope your dogs injuries aren't too bad. Nothing worse than dogs wandering around loose and especially being attacked by them. have to deal with it every day on my road.

• Advertisement

yeh he is usualy fenced in but he was out at the time, like i said hes a collie and extremely docile

does anybody know of any law about bringin staffies in from england coz this one was brought from manchester

because i am aware that staffordshire bull terrier is on the irish restriced breed list

i had a similar incident. my terriers attacked a womans dog, no harm done but she ended up with a bite mark on her arm. any way i offered to pay for a doctor(out of charity) because she was going on about how much it would cost. when i saw her the next day she asked for 100 cash or she'd have my dogs put down. i told her politely no chance and get the gaurds if she wants. few days later gaurds call, i tell them what happened. she got fcuk all. no way she could prove it was my dog that bit her, and even if it did it didnt mean too cos it was fighting with another dog and was trying to bite the dog. its his fault he has a bite on his arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't believe you have anything to worry about. The Staffie should have been confined to their own property or muzzled. There is no proof that your dog bit the man.
    Just talk to the Dog Warden to put your mind at ease. They are usually very understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've seen something similar happen before, it's a general rule of thumb you dont put you're hands in to break up dogs fighting.

"Fighting", is that even appropriate in the above context? Your dog was being attacked, the dog wardens aren't out to get dogs put down in situations like that, they just need to find out what happened.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If he had an un-muzzled Staff with doubtful licensing, he's on a bit of a sticky wicket looking for compo when he gets bitten in a fight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

As a matter of interest, what should u do if another dog attacks your dog??

Hopefully this will never happen to me, and OP i am sorry it happened to you. Im sure if it was a bad bite the guy might have teeth marks, and surely a doctor could say if this did come from your Collie, but even at that i doubt a dog would be put down because it bite someone while it was getting mauled by a Staff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

This thread seems to be a case of people having NO sense of responsibility!!

Timberwolf - I really feel sorry for you and your dog, but I don't think anyone's dog, no matter how docile, should be allowed to wander about. But I guess you have learned that lesson the hard way.

I would imagine you will be in an ok position though with the dog warden though, as it is obvious in this case that the staffie was the agressor, and you have your garda report and vet to support you.

i had a similar incident. my terriers attacked a womans dog, no harm done but she ended up with a bite mark on her arm. - Whitser

You were completely in the wrong Whitser - you are supposed to have your dogs under effective control at all times.

whitser wrote: »
    i had a similar incident. my terriers attacked a womans dog, no harm done but she ended up with a bite mark on her arm. any way i offered to pay for a doctor(out of charity) because she was going on about how much it would cost. when i saw her the next day she asked for 100 cash or she'd have my dogs put down. i told her politely no chance and get the gaurds if she wants. few days later gaurds call, i tell them what happened. she got ****(Srameen edit for bad language) all. no way she could prove it was my dog that bit her, and even if it did it didnt mean too cos it was fighting with another dog and was trying to bite the dog. its his fault he has a bite on his arm.

Whitser, I'm sorry but you were completely at fault here, if your dogs attacked someone else's. Much as I love dogs I would have reported you had I been the other party. You were damn lucky not to lose both dogs because their aggressive behaviour led to the woman being bitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bobbytwo

Terrible situation but the law on dogs in Ireland is that "when a dog is on the public highway, it must be under control at all times". This means a lead. unfortunately you must have had him running free if he ran over to someone so you would be breaking the law. sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think the law is a bit vague buy under control doesn't necissarily mean on a lead as far as I can gather.

Keep your dog safe and confined at all times and on a lead whilst out from now on as you don't want to give the neighbour any excuse.

If the other owner takes this further you might need to seek legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Ah, but for restricted breeds it does mean a lead, it even specifies what length the lead must be. Also it should have been muzzled. However the dog wasn't intentionally out so they may overlook these facts if the dog had not been causing the problem that it did.

I don't think the OP need fear reprisal for the dog within the law, however I would be a bit nervous of the neighbour. Definitely don't leave the dog unattended for the next while.

Look forget the scaremongering. Your dog is not at risk and the neighbour has no case. Under Control does not for your breed require a lead. You did nothing wrong and the authorities know that so just relax and let it go.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Look forget the scaremongering. Your dog is not at risk and the neighbour has no case. Under Control does not for your breed require a lead. You did nothing wrong and the authorities know that so just relax and let it go.:)

A voice of reason at last... :)

Unrestricted breeds are allowed off the lead if they are under control. Check your local by-laws. Dogs have scraps, its the way it is. Nine times out of ten they sort it out themselves. Its interference from hysterical humans that screws things up, they get bitten, they panic, they panic the dogs, make things worse etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

He cant prove which dog bit him as everything would have been frantic.Also your poor collie was probably absolutly terrifeied .Also if he got bit it was his own fault ,also the law states that the staffie should be muzzled and under control .Just keep a careful eye on your dog as if this manwants revenge you dont know what he might do.Good luck they cant take your collie .

Whitser, I'm sorry but you were completely at fault here, if your dogs attacked someone else's. Much as I love dogs I would have reported you had I been the other party. You were damn lucky not to lose both dogs because their aggressive behaviour led to the woman being bitten.
    her dog was off the lead as were mine. she was at home in her house i was out walking mine. her dog was out wandering the beach. it came running over to my dogs and the terrier felt under threatened and did what a jack russell does when its feels threatened. my dogs were off the lead on the beach but her dog was out wandering by its self. thats why the cops did nothing. and who says my dog bit, she said it did. then tried to extort money off me by threatening to have my dogs destroyed. she did try an report me, read my post.the cops called and when the had all the facts the said i had no case to answer.

• Advertisement

MsFifers wrote: »
    This thread seems to be a case of people having NO sense of responsibility!!

Timberwolf - I really feel sorry for you and your dog, but I don't think anyone's dog, no matter how docile, should be allowed to wander about. But I guess you have learned that lesson the hard way.

I would imagine you will be in an ok position though with the dog warden though, as it is obvious in this case that the staffie was the agressor, and you have your garda report and vet to support you.

i had a similar incident. my terriers attacked a womans dog, no harm done but she ended up with a bite mark on her arm. - Whitser

You were completely in the wrong Whitser - you are supposed to have your dogs under effective control at all times.
    same answer as i gave sareemm

whitser wrote: »
    i had a similar incident. my terriers attacked a womans dog.[/QUOTE]

Whitser,
    Not that it matters a toss really but please read what you yourself wrote. You now say it was in defence. Well my psychic abililites were not turned on when I read your post. I could only see where you said your terriers (plural) attacked (your words).
    As I said it matters not a jot in the grand scheme of things but don't come back at me because you can't say what you mean in the first place.:confused:

fair enough. i could've been more detailed in what actually happened but i wasnt posting my story for my sake it was to make the point that if you put your hand into a dog fight you'll get bitten and its impossible to prove which dog did it and if it was intentional. the best form of defense for a dog is attack, fight or flight. thats what i meant by attack. not saying her dog was going to attack but mine felt threatened so it attacked.

yeh i know he is fenced in now and out of harms way because the neightbours would do something to him him they got him

bobbytwo wrote: »
    Terrible situation but the law on dogs in Ireland is that "when a dog is on the public highway, it must be under control at all times". This means a lead. unfortunately you must have had him running free if he ran over to someone so you would be breaking the law. sorry.

as far as i am aware it only means a lead for animals on the restricted breed list, also it happend outside my home, i live in the country beside a small 3rd class road, so he ususaly does be out around the house

anyway want to say thanks to everyone who did give me useful informtaion
    the dog warden has said he will not put down the dog
    although the owners of the staffie are intending to take legal action and go to court, for what cause i can only iamgine is revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

dont worry it may be all threats it would cost them money to take u to court .it will calm down eventually but be vigilante with ur collie

Advertisement