Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Script

Options
  • 21-05-2008 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Ive started to get into the dublin band The Script was wonderin what people made of them think The Man Who Can't Be Moved is a great song!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Well congrats to an Irish band for getting played on Irish radio, but these guys are pretenders, they're still Mytown or whatever they used to be called to me, no matter how hard they try

mt_couch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

ahh so thats how i know that guy. feckin hell , well at least he's getting more success that he did with mytown.I played alongside them in the sugar club . they're great band but im one of those people that like a mix of thing's within song's i.e one song being jazzy then the other being say like heavy metal lol and i think these guy's for how good they are are still one dimensional .

but thats not a bad thing cos now they have success they will have a better time to grow like every band with their material.

all in all they're a great band and i hope they do well.

they get a thumbs up for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Well congrats to an Irish band for getting played on Irish radio, but these guys are pretenders, they're still Mytown or whatever they used to be called to me, no matter how hard they try

mt_couch.jpg

+1!!!

I remember this guy well and MyTown because I went to school with one of them.
    Told people Danny was lead singer in a boyband, and they didn't believe me... it's not mentioned much in any of their promo stuff, is it?

Speaking of MyTown - I remember they were on the Late Late yonks ago and reported signed a huge deal with Universal... what went wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Ahh i think all of us wanted to be in a boyband at this stage! I was listening to their lyrics a minute ago and prove me wrong on this if you can but in they're song (together we cry ) they're talking about about a poor and decrepit life and doom and gloom and everyone's always crying in syncronicity but they sound D4.

now is it me or is that a total contradiction and very funny all the same. I must be reading into this too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I heard the song 'we cry' a couple of times and saw them on CH4 late one night, I actually thought the guy was American or maybe British:eek: Great to hear their Irish. Its a good song, must have a listen to their other stuff now:)

When were mytown out? were they westlife types? I dont recall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

whiskeyman wrote: »
    +1!!!

Speaking of MyTown - I remember they were on the Late Late yonks ago and reported signed a huge deal with Universal... what went wrong??
    nuthen,
    they were huge in the Canada, lived the normal life of a successful boyband, but wasn't to be on this side of the ocean for em!

went to see these guys lat night in whelans.

Fantastic, people that are comparing them to mytown need to get out and see em live! They've added a bass player to the live show which makes a huge difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fordey100

i love their song "The Man Who Can't Be Moved".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why Indie/Alternative? There's a general Music forum... I've noticed lately people really don't seem to know what constitutes Indie/Alternative. Ok, it can be rather an ambiguous term, but come on... The Script? Indie/Alternative? The Commitments? (See "Where are they now?" thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Just what I was thinking.
    Fair balls to them, number 13 in the UK singles chart is an amazing achievement for an Irish band but indie/alternative they are not!
    Dudess wrote: »
    Why Indie/Alternative? There's a general Music forum... I've noticed lately people really don't seem to know what constitutes Indie/Alternative. Ok, it can be rather an ambiguous term, but come on... The Script? Indie/Alternative? The Commitments? (See "Where are they now?" thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yeh fair play - how many new Irish bands have had a British top 20 hit single this decade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Not indie but I do like their sound a lot. Kind of American ring to it, but it's great to know they're Irish. "We Cry" is a great song and I'm suprised they haven't got more recognition for it on Irish TV. Usual Mr. Kenny would be on to those guys in a flash ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SBob

Ah come on! someone!! jesus!

"Soul is not a black thing or a white thing, it's a human thing," insists Mark.

"The true vision is to hit people in the heart," declares Glen.

'Irish people have soul," according to Danny. "It comes from generations of pain, and generations of understanding emotion to be able to physically get that in a solid sound.'

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Muppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SBob wrote: »
    Ah come on! someone!! jesus!

"Soul is not a black thing or a white thing, it's a human thing," insists Mark.

"The true vision is to hit people in the heart," declares Glen.

'Irish people have soul," according to Danny. "It comes from generations of pain, and generations of understanding emotion to be able to physically get that in a solid sound.'
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭MarkN

Jaysus it was going so well.. what did they have to come out with that bull for??

Vocals on Man Who Can't Be Moved sounds very like Sting!

I've been playing them on radio since March, good to see everyone else is following now seeing as we're always being accused of "not doing our bit". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They were supporting NERD, in London this year.
    The lead singer said they were working with the Neptunes, which is quite cool. I've never heard of any European artists, bar The Hives, having any songs produced by them.

But overall I wasn't too blown away with them live. Maybe the album will be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I'm really liking them at the moment

Whats Mytown another band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

Yeh im liking they're stuff, some of the stuff that has yet to be released in quality too, a good album i feel, its out on the 11th by the way.

Up above is that Mark Noble from Fm 104, you said that youve been playing them since march!??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm assuming, TheScript you have absolutely no connection to the band, right? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

It's ok song but prefer before the worst:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Usual Mr. Kenny would be on to those guys in a flash ;)

Yes but he is OFF for the summer, his usual 3 month summer break:rolleyes:.You cant expect him to be working all the time, expecially when you consider the pittance he earns:DI'm sure they'll be the first band on when pat is back in september

Number three in the uk charts this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Number three in the uk charts this week!

Exactly, how many other Irish rock bands have done this well in recent years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

all hail the script, for they have saved irish "rock" music with there catchy pop songs and top 5 chart placings!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 x-xRaCheLx-x

MarkN wrote: »

Vocals on Man Who Can't Be Moved sounds very like Sting!

theres a bit in The Man Who Cant be Moved and he sounds exactly like Brian Mc Fadden, tis a bit freaky! I agree with the Sting comment aswell though... overall could it be said they havent a very original sound? they're the same as every other kinda-pop-kinda-alternative-reflective pop band out there...

Held off slating them in case it came across as sour grapes but the best band to come out of Ireland in the past while..........dunno that I'd agree with that.

In one sense your right as they are the only band to have really come out of Ireland (ie. make an impact abroad) since The Thrills I think but being a successful band is a very different thing to being a good band in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

Emmm some of there other songs on the album are quite good..."before the worst" is a quality song and will be a hit. I got now connection with the band by the way guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Picked up the album today. Have to say it's great stuff. Also just found out that Mark is a mate of a mate of mine, I've actually met him a couple of times without realising he was in the band. My mate was in one of their videos in the US. They slept on his floor for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

No way are they better than Republic of Loose.
    However i must admit i haven't heard the full album yet but what i've heard on the radio and seen on telly I'm not convinced.

Advertisement