Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kestrels nest

Options
  • 21-05-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I shot this on digital camera, there is a kestrels nest about ten mins from were i live, hope you enjoy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Nice photo... I do suppose that you took care not to disturb the parent birds? Just in case Mate... I have to put that in for future reference to others. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

boneless wrote: »
    Nice photo... I do suppose that you took care not to disturb the parent birds? Just in case Mate... I have to put that in for future reference to others. :)

Yes,I sit and wait till i see both parents in flight in different direction, and make sure that im not fallowed and nobody knows where it is. I have more photos but i havent got the time to put them up, i will soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Great photo, but I don't care if you see both parents fly off or not, you should not disturb this nest. The resolution of the picture suggests that you were using something less than a 50mm lens. You are actually on very sticky ground legally as you are "knowingly " disturbing nesting raptors. I work in Wildlife and I'm licenced to handle such birds but you are not. Please don't go in so close again.
    Sorry for sounding like a kill joy but I have the interests of the Kestrels at heart.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agreed. The EXIF information in that photo suggests it was taken with an ordinary HP compact camera, up fairly close (35mm equivalent of about 50mm focal length) and with flash as well.

Alun wrote: »
    Agreed. The EXIF information in that photo suggests it was taken with an ordinary HP compact camera, up fairly close (35mm equivalent of about 50mm focal length) and with flash as well.

I hadn't noticed about the flash. If that is true (I'm sure gversey will enlighten us) then it is really not on:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

I have to agree fully with Srameen and Alun, I know the nesting spot of raptors and would never attempt to go near them.
    I understand you meant no harm and did it out of a love of nature but its really not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Im sorry, not well up on legislation about raptors, i know not to touch them or there nests, nor would i want to harm these beautiful birds, i noticed them one day last month where i have been walking the same route for eleven years for peace and quite, and since then i feel more of a protector to them than a threat, i check on them everyday as i know youths frequent the area to slug flagons of cider, I originally took the photos to show my younger sister (10yrs) the wonders of nature, and uploaded them thinking people might be interested in them,, sorry again

Regards,

G

No problem, mate. Just rememebr with most Nature it's best to get no closer than what a good pair of bins allows. Enjoy watching the Kestrels develop and fledge.:)

Advertisement