Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall paper stripping advice badly needed!

Options
  • 21-05-2008 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am stripping wall paper and have come across plasterboard but no plaster. What do I do!? Should I carry on stripping the wall paper or should I stop and get someone in to plaster the walls first?

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Can you post a photo .

don't understand what you mean by plasterboard but no plaster

Sounds like drylining, tapered joints and filler. Steam it off, a scraper on dry paper will wreck the paper surface of the plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Jaysus.

Moved to DIY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sounds like drylining, tapered joints and filler. Steam it off, a scraper on dry paper will wreck the paper surface of the plasterboard.

Steaming it off wouldn't be my choice, especially if the plasterboard isn't moisture resistant, which it probably isn't. Could end up very messy.
    It's a big wallpapering no-no to paste directly to drywall without properly sealing it first, the paper on both surfaces bond and sometimes when you try and strip it, you end up taking the paper backing on the plasterboard off and damaging the wall.
    I'd suggest like I usually do when it comes to stripping paper, that you get one of these paper tigers;
    998009052_101507_DV.jpg&height=200&width=175
    a 3 wheeled scoring tool, then use a paste dissolving enzyme and peel off the wallpaper carefully.

I'm not sure what the OP means by getting in a plasterer....why are you stripping the paper? Painting? More paper? Is your house new, old? All walls like this or only one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Deliaquad

I am having exactly the same problem. I've tried the paper tiger and elbow grease, but the wall is looking so bad I'm beginning to despair. Is it possible to get a skim coat over the wall as it is, ie. with the paper still on it? Failing that, I was considering bonding 9.5mm plasterboard over the existing walls, and finishing that. Has anyone tried this before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Possible? Yes. It would be very advisable to get as much of the decorative front layer of the paper removed beforehand though, especialy if it's vinyl. The whole area would probably need a coat of PVA/polybond for a skimcoat to stick to it. Really a question for the plasterers, but I know from experience that there's been many a layer of wallpaper plastered over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 number twelve

i had the same problem, i moved into a house and started to strip the wallpaper to find no actual plaster behind it. i had to be cafefull when removing the paper, just putting a small amount of water on the wall then scraping it off carefully. it was impossible to do a perfect job but i got most of the paper off, but along with some of the wallpaper some of the papery thing that holds the plasterboard together came off also. so what i had to do was firstly sand down the walls using a electric sander this got rid of the final bits of paper, i then got some polyfill to fill certain holes ie from hanging pictures etc and then i skimmed the walls using a thing i got in b&q. its like paint on plaster, you put it on the wall with a roller and then smooth it out with a thing that looks like a long flat scraper. then sand out a few imperfections and that worked out a treat eventually. but was painstaking

Advertisement