Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypocritical Ban from Wishbone Ash.

Options
  • 21-05-2008 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

So the story is I'v been banned from learning to drive forum, rather unfairly I feel. The moderator Wishbone Ash banned me for what he calls "trolling and general muppetry" Not too sure what this trolling thing is but is it starting arguements??Anyway If the definition of trolling is disagreeing with someone's opinion, then i guess I'm guilty, and that really is all I did, at first anyway. As for the muppetry, i thought that was uncalled for especially from a someone who seems to have no sense of humour to take a bit of stick his way.

Anyway when i disagreed with this moderator's opinion, he replied with a comment reffering back to some some other thread's in november. ( when he didnt like what I had to say, which is fair enough, didnt much like his opinions either, but that's the nature of the beast isnt it?!) He stated that I had made of a fool of myself then and did i intend to do so again! Well Im no fool but i really thought this had absolutely nothing to do with what i had posted, now surely his comment would be considered trolling? I mean what do you expect someone to say to a comment like that?! "Yes sir, no sir, wont let it happen again sir"?!

A snide remark like that from a moderator is totally uncalled for and a ban for defending myself, i feel is totally unwaranted, particularly in how it was comunicated. "Banned for trolling and general muppetry... come back when you have something constructive to add". All that i said in response to his silly remark was, oh i must have hit a nerve, and get down off your high horse, while mentioning just how smug some full licence holders in the learning to drive forum can be, im a full licence holder myself incidentally.

Now while i think he does give allot of help he can be quite condescending at times and i feel he has totally abused his position in this case as he was just as, if not more guilty than me of the offences for which I have been banned for.

Do let us know what you think, but please keep it reasonable, i am only asking whether you think the ban was reasonable. No trolling!!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You made an idiot of yourself on this thread last November. Do you intend to do the same again?

This was unneccessary as far as I'm concerned.

It looks like a silly/harsh ban alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

I'm getting sick of these 'unfair banning' threads. Let's just ban banning. And being banned. And elastic bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Rb wrote: »
    This was unneccessary as far as I'm concerned.

indeed. he was effectively calling the OP out.

and secondly, i don't actually see a bannable offense in those posts. perhaps worthy of an infraction or warning, but a ban was harsh considering the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

I'm getting sick of these 'unfair banning' threads. Let's just ban banning. And being banned. And elastic bands.

Sorry! :eek:, i just had to get it off my chest, i think i literally would have exploded if i hadnt been able to vent. The bloke is great for givin amount of knowledge he shares on the forum but the best teachers dont make the best principals and er stuff.

Cheers to the other dude for sticking the thread up, im useless.

• Advertisement

indeed. he was effectively calling the OP out.

and secondly, i don't actually see a bannable offense in those posts. perhaps worthy of an infraction or warning, but a ban was harsh considering the circumstances.

Whats "the OP"?!

Thats what I was so annoyed. It felt like i was being banned just because he didnt like my opinions, past and present, but thats what this place is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There definitely doesn't seem a reason to ban the OP here. A warning to stay on topic and cool down maybe but definitely not a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Whats "the OP"?!

the Original Poster of the thread, i.e. in this case you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Whats "the OP"?!

In this thread you are the OP, Original Poster.

humanji wrote: »
    A warning to stay on topic and cool down maybe but definitely not a ban.

If anything, the mod went off topic first when mentioning the other thread.

It looks like a harsh banning to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Let this be the first time that feedback has actually worked, let the OP back in regardless of the mods opinions!
    Hurrah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Heavy handed IMO.

Asking noobs to refrain from posting in lower case is also a little overbearing, and likely to drive them away (no pun intended).

It's not as if it's txtspk.

Let this be the first time that feedback has actually worked, let the OP back in regardless of the mods opinions!
    Hurrah!

Dream on. :p

Thrill wrote: »
    Dream on. :p

I know its early days and I'm sure some will think i deserved it but early doors it seems that it was indeed harsh. Should i send the mod a link to this thread? Or is it pointless? Two week ban too, which is itself harsh, and even then i think i have to prove that I have something "constructive" to say. Believe it or not i think he may have been serious with that comment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You should discuss it with the mod alright. It's normally best to discuss it before a feedback thread, you weren't to know that I suppose :)

The ban seems a little odd to me on the thread linked.

You should discuss it with the mod alright. It's normally best to discuss it before a feedback thread, you weren't to know that I suppose :)

I did reply to his message regarding the ban, and told him just how unfair i thought it was, but as of yet havent heard back. I just felt it was a total abuse of power, like "this guy is annoying me, so il just ban him and hope he goes away".

And it seemed odd to me, i felt it was more to do with posts back in november, but i wasnt banned back then, nor did i get any warnings as far as i can recall. Back then it was a heated discussion which dragged out and all turned a bit childish. So in a nutshell i believe thats why i was banned, for what happened then and not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Way too harsh from reading the thread.

I haven't seen too many bans overturned on feedback tbh. Normally posters are told, after lots of arguing and cat pictures, to grin and bear it.

You do have a better chance than most though. We'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Unfair ban, and the mod pretty much did call him out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

So you got banned for some nonsense in a worthless thread. Why bother getting steamed up? If the mod bans you he is exercising his right and you can exercise yours by ignoring his mickey mouse forum!

I got banned from the quasi worthless laptop forum for pointing out something that the mod did not like. I am still alive and my problem has been resolved without any assistance from that quarter.

How useless can it get. Now drive on...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Unfair ban, and the mod pretty much did call him out..

+1

Very harsh ban

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Definitely only worthy of an infraction, imo.

Just a little further to that, the mod actually told me to bring it to feeback if i had a problem, pretty much saying he didnt want to know!

Sent a pm yesterday saying how unfair i thought it was, no reply, sent a link to this thread with the responses to date, and you guessed it, no reply.

Guess il just have to start building that bridge..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Sent a pm yesterday saying how unfair i thought it was, no reply, sent a link to this thread with the responses to date, and you guessed it, no reply.

Give him a chance, he hasn't been online since 11 last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Give him a chance, he hasn't been online since 11 last night.
    In fairness, I noticed he was active on feedback last night whilst I was busy with all that fuss in the other threads, so he has definitely had a chance to reply/explain himself and has chosen not to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Utterly unncessary. Even an infraction would be harsh. Very poor standard of moderating in this case.

Ban should be revoked

Still, would be interesting to hear Wishbone Ash's interpretation of all this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Rb wrote: »
    In fairness, I noticed he was active on feedback last night whilst I was busy with all that fuss in the other threads, so he has definitely had a chance to reply/explain himself and has chosen not to do so.
    Hmmm. In that case he can't have missed the thread as his name is in the title. That kind of thing would tend to grab someone's attention.

I'd like to hear his side of the story to be honest.

Hmmm. In that case he can't have missed the thread as his name is in the title. That kind of thing would tend to grab someone's attention.

I'd like to hear his side of the story to be honest.

I also put a read receipt on my reply to his pm about the banning, so he opened it at least.

I would also like to hear his take on things and how how he justified the ban. As I mentioned, his comment's regarding posts in november seemed to be the real reason behind the ban, especially seen as how the pm regarding the ban was worded, speculation perhaps but not far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I don't see anything wrong with the op's posts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just to play devils advocate. It does appear that the OP has previously had rants about licensed drivers (in particular those who got it through amnestys), and could be said to be trying to hijack the linked thread to rant about it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement