Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAST.fm

Options
  • 21-05-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

What exactly is this site? I've seen people have links to their profiles in their sigs and, as I understand it, there are millions of users online.

But I signed up and I've spent ages looking but I can only get a 30 second clip of each song. Do people just spend hours upon hours just listening to 30 seconds of songs or is there a way to listen to them all.

Maybe I'm missing the point and that's the whole idea of the site. Is it to introduce people to new bands by allowing a sneaky peek of their songs?

Hrm....

( I apologise for my idiocy )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yes.

Not every song is available to listen to fully.

It's handy for recommending new bands based on what you listen to yourself. Least thats what I use it for.

last.fm/user/kaimera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Launch the radio plugin and it plays full songs, either based on your charts, or your friends or neighbours, or related to one artist in particular!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

catch--22 wrote: »
    Launch the radio plugin and it plays full songs, either based on your charts, or your friends or neighbours, or related to one artist in particular!

Exactly. Thats the beauty of it. You download a plugin that "scrobbles" (takes note of) what you play in iTunes, Winamp or whatever you use. It then creates a profile of your musical tastes and you can use last.fm to play "your" radio station, full songs based on your taste. You can't usually pick the exact song you want to play due to licensing issues, hence the 30 second clips, but they do provide some mp3 downloads and there are more on the way I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's a cool site, if you're nerdy like me, and like charts and graphs of stuff.

It shows charts of which bands and songs you listen to the most.

I've been a member 3 years now, and it's interesting to see how much I've listened to different bands over that time.

• Moderators Posts: 51,812 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Recently setup a profile. www.last.fm/user/stephendiablo
    Finding it to be a great tool. Uncovered some bands I'd not heard of before. Also found out some bands had released a cd I was unaware of.
    Probably more tools/functions available I'm not using. But just having fun getting to grips with it.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I like the tools they have, like "what i've just listened to" and such

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yeah, the radio plugin is awesome. I'll often be working away and just hear something awesome and I can find out all about who made it.

Discovered this gem today, Luke Vibert - M.A.R.S, pretty awesome track and I'm gonna try and find some more stuff by him. My only complaint is sometimes I just wanna hear the one artist, not stuff that is done by an artist that has done a song kinda like the one you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Kold wrote: »
    Yeah, the radio plugin is awesome. I'll often be working away and just hear something awesome and I can find out all about who made it.

Discovered this gem today, Like Vibert - M.A.R.S, pretty awesome track and I'm gonna try and find some more stuff by him. My only complaint is sometimes I just wanna hear the one artist, not stuff that is done by an artist that has done a song kinda like the one you want.

Luke Vibert's the man, try picking up Chicago, Detroit, Redruth if you're looking for an album to start off with.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

cornbb wrote: »
    Luke Vibert's the man, try picking up Chicago, Detroit, Redruth if you're looking for an album to start off with.

Yeah, he is the man alright. Love his work as Wagon Christ too, some amazing albums...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Wagon+Christ

And Last.fm is the dogs. Relatively new to it myself but it's great for finding new music. Also, the free weekly downloads include some great tunes.

if you want to listen to full songs you should probably download the scrobbling software. even at that it's hard to get full songs. artists there just put up samples

• Advertisement
Advertisement