Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AoC is it really worth it??

• 21-05-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I have a question to those who have spent a bit of time with the game. I'm a long term WoW player but being honest the only reason I play it is because I haven't found anything that really pulls me away. Now being honest at this stage I see WoW for what it is and the game is boring as hell and really lacks any form of decent content, its really just a time killer for me these days and i've been following AoC's progress for some time and planned on getting it as soon as it came out.

I tried Lotro briefly but the game didnt appeal to me it just lacked somthing, couldnt really put my finger on it but it wasn't for me. Anyway the problem is my PC as it is won't handle AoC from what i've been readin and I need to know is the game really worth spending over €1000 on a serious upgrade?? What are your thoughts on the game?? Is it as good as the hype and can you see yourself playing it in months to come?? The game sounds amazing and it looks to have the sort of content i've wanted from WoW for a long time in terms of PvE and PvP. Please try to give an unbiased opinion if you can as I don't want to go down that road and end up finding the game a huge dissapointment. Sorry post is so long, thanks in advance for any replies!! :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My advice to you is,if your a gamer then why not upgrade anyway?
    Unless you just intend playing one single game [then ofcourse it is a risk]?
    If AOC is as good as i expect it to be then its a bonus to you.
    I play many genres across the board and my upgrade [whole new system] around Christmas time has been more than worth the expense.
    Its nice to know i can throw any game at this system and it plays at high res and high framerate and always looks great.

I havent played the beta of AOC but have spent countless hours viewing gameplay clips,reading reviews,forums etc etc and i honestly feel this is gonna be huge.

Like you im tired of wow,ive played it for over 3 years and done it all so im really looking for that killer MMO.
    Also like you LOTRO was good but lacking something.
    Ive cancelled subs for both wow and lotro :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You're going to have to upgrade your computer at some point, and there are very cheap ways to get to at least the minimum specs for AoC, (so €1000 won't be necessary :D ). Now, upgrading for a game is a little excessive, but if you can afford it without making life difficult for yourself, then go for it. If not, wait. AoC will be around for a little while, even if it's a flop.

As for the game itself, I've only been in the beta and waiting for Friday til I get the full version, but I find it a lot of fun. I think I could list all the good points and the bad points about it, but to be honest, if you can afford to upgrade your pc for this game, then you can afford to buy the game and get the months free subscription for it. If you don't like it, then at least you'll have gotten your moneys worth from the month you played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Big Knox wrote: »
    Anyway the problem is my PC as it is won't handle AoC from what i've been readin and I need to know is the game really worth spending over €1000 on a serious upgrade??

1st, what are you specs m8?

2nd, PC hardware is REALLY cheap at the moment. You won't need to spend anywhere near a grand to play the game on decent settings, if not max.

You can get a fkin 9800GTX for 250 euro ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Thanks for the replies guys, I probably should have explained in a bit more detail. I will definatly be upgrading one way or another but the plan was to do it later in the year as I have alot going on at the moment with trips away comin up which are causin a serious dent in my wallet so I was goin to wait until I can get some funds together to get the new rig.

My current specs are AMD 3000+, 1 gig ddr and an x800xt. Now from what I hear that would really struggle with AoC, it could probably get away with running it but if im goin to play this I want to enjoy it and give the game the chance it deserves to really impress me and when I do upgrade it will be an entire new set up which I plan on spending at least €1000 on!!

I guess what im really asking is is the game that damn good that I should say **** it, splash the bucks now and be out of pocket for awhile??

The more I think about it im leaning towards this option, a new system and the chance to play AoC the way it should be definatly sounds like its worth stayin in a few wkends!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd say hold off. AoC will still be around, and most of the bugs will be ironed out by then. And there'll be plenty of people still at low levels who you can team up with etc. Plus, if you're going away a lot, then you won't have time to play and so the subscription will be kind of wasted. Best to leave it til you can afford it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement