Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Secrets

Options
  • 21-05-2008 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Do you ever wonder Why the Chicken we buy is so fat,Cheap, Why the fruits and Veg looks perfect.Nusty things supermarkets doing to get more and more profit. Do you want to know, how take a look at this shocking video
    It Change my life Might chenge yours
    :eek:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esgyv8ynk_c&feature=related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Good show, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

And thats why I say 'you get what you pay for' all the time :D I get people in to my butcher shop comparing the cost of my meat to supermarket prices and they wonder why theres such a big difference :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Its all great saying go to your local butcher - but how do you know your local butcher is not buying from a wholesaler who mass purchases from intensive farmers like the supermarkets do?

I want to switch completely to my local butcher but how do I find out the above for sure?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I loved this two part show when it aired on channel 4, put you off chicken no end! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

axer wrote: »
    I want to switch completely to my local butcher but how do I find out the above for sure?

Best way - ask the butcher where he gets his meat from. Most will tell you the farm or distributor they buy from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I will say chickens in Irish supermarkets are quite superior to those in UK supermarkets. Bord Bia has a much higher standard for chicken producers here which equal the "best care" standards of the UK poultry industry.

Eeve Richard Corrigan had to roll back on his chicken comments regarding Irish producers.

In any case a free range chicken, whilst costing more is infinitely better tasting than the mass produced ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

here's a related question

Tesco sell "chicken" and "value chicken"

seeing as the regular chicken is not free-range, organic or anything like that, what makes the "Value chicken" inferior and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The value ones probably died of old age:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Paulw wrote: »
    Best way - ask the butcher where he gets his meat from. Most will tell you the farm or distributor they buy from.

buthchers and any establishment that sells fresh/cooked meat are legally bound to display a notice telling customers where their meat comes from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

As the admiral said, it'll be on display.

Any decent butcher will also be happy to tell you where he gets his meat, including contact details. For most, it's their pride and livlihood at steak (<-- see what I did there?), so they like to boast about it coming from John in Meath, type thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

buthchers and any establishment that sells fresh/cooked meat are legally bound to display a notice telling customers where their meat comes from

Yup and ask a butcher about the farm and he'll tell you everything about it and cgarvey stay out of the humour section or they'll lynch you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i eat anything put ionfront of me , regardless of weather it can kill me, hasnt done it yet so ill keep going....

Advertisement