Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basic question about washers

Options
  • 21-05-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

I'm putting together my rotating compost bin, which is mostly fine; the diagram's pretty clear. I've just two (probably very girly!) questions:

When using a washer with a nut and bolt, which side does the washer go on, i.e. is it bolt-washer-[item]-nut or is it bolt-[item]-washer-nut?

Also, the washers aren't just plain flat ones – they've got little spikes, like this. Which direction should the spikes be pointing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

radia wrote: »
    I'm putting together my rotating compost bin, which is mostly fine; the diagram's pretty clear. I've just two (probably very girly!) questions:

When using a washer with a nut and bolt, which side does the washer go on, i.e. is it bolt-washer-[item]-nut or is it bolt-[item]-washer-nut?

Also, the washers aren't just plain flat ones – they've got little spikes, like this. Which direction should the spikes be pointing?

It's bolt, item washer and then nut.

I'd imagine the spikes should be pointing towards the nut, but i could be corrected on that !

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Thanks Zorba.

Someone suggested to me that the purpose of the star washer's points was for the points to dig into the item it was placed next to, making it less likely to rattle apart. But what's being bolted together on the compost bin are metal parts, so I don't think it's really possible for it to dig in. Maybe it doesn't matter which way round it faces in that case.:confused:

I was thinking maybe it needed to dig into something alright but if they're both metal parts i'd put the stars on the washer facing away from the nut, but that's just me, sure it won't make a big difference in the long run.

Makes sense... Thanks.

No bother, your welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

BOLT ---> ITEM ---> WASHER ---> NUT

although some people do it the alternative way

BOLT ---> WASHER ---> ITEM ---> WASHER ---> NUT

Thanks stick-dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

spikes should be in contact with nut to stop it from rotating anti-clockwise.

a nut can be sacrificed but do not damaged the main component with the spikes.

Advertisement