Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afterhours hatefest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Because it doesn't fit in the Ladies Lounge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Stormfront didn't want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

In my (limited) experience of After Hours it seems to me that if all references to the Roma were replaced with "big, fat, warmongering, obnoxious Americans" there'd be far less people whining about the thread.

People should see try and see a thread for what it is, i.e. people's frustrations with a particular, easily identifiable group of people and not the cause celebre they wish it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No other forum would take it. Even TCN laughed at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Pretending the Irish Roma population are decent members of society is retarded.

I have never seen a single Roma apply for a job, and I run a load of jobsites. I've seen hundreds of thousands of CVs.

They don't want to work. They only take from our society.

It is not racist/whatever to admit this.

I can understand why people have an issue with them.

If the thread was about killing them or some other illegal act, that'd be a totally different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sherifu wrote: »
    No other forum would take it. Even TCN laughed at it.

That we did.. Oo-Rah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

A Bleeding Hearts/Lets Be As Pc As Can Be forum hasn't been set up yet.

dublindude wrote: »
    Pretending the Irish Roma population are decent members of society is retarded.

I have never seen a single Roma apply for a job, and I run a load of jobsites. I've seen hundreds of thousands of CVs.

They don't want to work. They only take from our society.

It is not racist/whatever to admit this.

I can understand why people have an issue with them.

Yes but you have to realise it's just so much easier to use the racist card and that way circumvent everyone's points that don't agree with your own.
    I think it should also be noted that there is a poll running on what sort of experiences boards members have had with the Roma. At the moment it stands at:

Good, friendly nice helpful people, I would have them as my neighbour! = 3

Bad, they were begging, trying to rip me or someone else off! =

I think that explains why this thread deserves airtime on a current affairs board.
    dublindude wrote: »
    If the thread was about killing them or some other illegal act, that'd be a totally different matter.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dinter wrote: »
    In my (limited) experience of After Hours it seems to me that if all references to the Roma were replaced with "big, fat, warmongering, obnoxious Americans" there'd be far less people whining about the thread.

But the great thing about americans in a war, digital or otherwise? It only takes one of us to push a button.

I do enough whining for thousands, thank you very much. You should have seen the racial state of AH before I started posting in it. That was racist alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Overheal wrote: »
    But the great thing about americans in a war, digital or otherwise? It only takes one of us to push a button.
    And that's why the world hates America.
    Not what you said, but how you said it.
    I do enough whining for thousands, thank you very much.
    He's not lying.

• Advertisement

The whole pride thing? There's very little to be proud of when you are American, lets be fair. I just don't think its necessary to butcher it to death when its down. Especially with fat ugly stupid etc. tripe.

The whole pride thing? There's very little to be proud of when you are American, lets be fair. I just don't think its necessary to butcher it to death when its down. Especially with fat ugly stupid etc. tripe.
    Pay no mind to me.
    I'm a drunken Irish man.

Ah now. Its hard to tell if youre being sarcastic or drunk. You do both a lot ;) usually with amusing results by your own admission.

Drunk.

Enjoy the Match.

Enjoy the Match.
    It's over. The scum won*. Fluked a few penalties and are now mourning dead people.

I supported Liverpool when I was a kid.

That's my point though Overheal.

Anything can be said about Americans and nobody gives a rats arse because the stereotypical American is not a slightly different shade to me. Personally I think it's a crock!

Imo American's play an important role in ensuring that most of the maddest members of the world concentrate on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

where would you prefer it to be, and why are you worried about where it is anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

^^^^^^^^^^^

FYI: this is a loaded question.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its very easy to self-righteously proclaim those Roma threads to be racist or xenophobic and that's what a number of people have in fact done. Forget debate - just brand everyone.

The simple undeniable fact is that Roma piss people off. People are pissed off with them not because they are racist but because that is their experience. There's simply no point in denying it, so why not debate it? That's one the reasons Boards exists.

The thread the OP mentions was very interesting before it was sidetracked by a few people throwing "OMG racist" accusations and what not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

What is very annoying in that thread for me is myself and others are constantly being called "bleeding heart liberals" meant in an extremely insulting way for merely stating that anyone regardless of ethnicity should be judged on an individual basis.
    Bear in mind the "pro roma" people (who aren't pro anyone, thats kind of the point) are actually agreeing thieves and what not SHOULD be flung out. No one wants to actually discuss it: Its too much fun to take a pop at people who don't agree with the masses. "Political Correctness gone mad!" is apparently stating that mob rule support by organised crime is bad, mmkay(the actual point of the thread.)

First time someone is called a racist, they're banned.

(I know it's a rule in AH, but it is a spectacularly hate filled thread.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its funny how things come full circle.

There was a time if you spoke out about an issue with a member of a foreign community you are immediately branded a racist.

Now if you speak out to say not everyone is the same etc etc, you are branded a do-gooder/bleeding heart!

Funny that.

Anyway what are we talking about again, gypsies or the ladies lounge? I dont think we can generalise and say they are both the same? :p

faceman wrote: »
    Its funny how things come full circle.

There was a time if you spoke out about an issue with a member of a foreign community you are immediately branded a racist.

Now if you speak out to say not everyone is the same etc etc, you are branded a do-gooder/bleeding heart!

Funny that.

Anyway what are we talking about again, gypsies or the ladies lounge? I dont think we can generalise and say they are both the same? :p

Don't be using that word, according to Degsy its evil. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This thread title makes me giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I haven't read the rest of the thread properly yet, sorry if I'm missing something, but:
    I didn't see your username again so I'll ask: Why shouldn't it be in AH? You didn't say. I also don't see a single reported post about it, so it's not said there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I can't see any issue here. We have a socially self-excluded group of people who cannot seek asylum as members of the EU, or seek social welfare payments because of our rule (to prohibit them in the first place).

Yet they refuse to work, and drive the crime rate (wherever they are) sky high, disproportionate to the local population. They beg, irritating drivers, manipulate everyone and endanger their children while dodging cars on the M50 off-ramps, begging!! I mean, what the hell??

The thread is justified as an argument. And its nice to see the bleeding hearts and other self-delusionary morons getting a whack of the good-sense-stick

maoleary wrote: »
    I can't see any issue here. We have a socially self-excluded group of people who cannot seek asylum as members of the EU, or seek social welfare payments because of our rule (to prohibit them in the first place).

Yet they refuse to work, and drive the crime rate (wherever they are) sky high, disproportionate to the local population. They beg, irritating drivers, manipulate everyone and endanger their children while dodging cars on the M50 off-ramps, begging!! I mean, what the hell??

The thread is justified as an argument. And its nice to see the bleeding hearts and other self-delusionary morons getting a whack of the good-sense-stick

Actually, if you read the thread closely, you'll see the "self delusionary morons" are the ones asking what people would like to do about it, instead of throwing insults around- just like the one you just made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

SDooM wrote: »
    Actually, if you read the thread closely, you'll see the "self delusionary morons" are the ones asking what people would like to do about it, instead of throwing insults around- just like the one you just made.

I think the other side made their own solutions clear. Arrest them for child endangerment, then deport them for not having sufficient means to care for themselves, as evidenced by their behaviour. Might have to change a few pieces of legislation, ignore the eurocrats a bit, pay off a few whingers. But in the end, it could be done quite well.

In the end, the thread is justified and is a good measure of anti-sponger sentiment growing in Ireland. And we're going OT by arguing.

I think the other side made their own solutions clear. Arrest them for child endangerment, then deport them for not having sufficient means to care for themselves, as evidenced by their behaviour. Might have to change a few pieces of legislation, ignore the eurocrats a bit, pay off a few whingers. But in the end, it could be done quite well.

In the end, the thread is justified and is a good measure of anti-sponger sentiment growing in Ireland. And we're going OT by arguing.

This is the crux of the issue of the point of nexus of the thing:

The "bleeding liberals" and "morons" actually agreed with that. No problem at all with it. Stated many, many times. Of course, people with an agenda didn't let it get in the way of good ol bashing people with different opinions to them.

It is funny how the world turns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

that is our solution too. we just don't want people to arrest and deport people who haven't actually done anything wrong, simply because of their ethnicity, ie make sure these individual roma people are actually endangering their children before deporting them, rather than saying "you're a roma, therefore you must be endangering your children. f*ck off out of here"

Advertisement