Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afterhours hatefest

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

SDooM wrote: »
    This is the crux of the issue of the point of nexus of the thing:

The "bleeding liberals" and "morons" actually agreed with that. No problem at all with it. Stated many, many times. Of course, people with an agenda didn't let it get in the way of good ol bashing people with different opinions to them.

It is funny how the world turns.

In all fairness though a lot of the anti Roma people (to generalise for ease) are purely talking about solutions to deal with Romas who are commiting crimes.

A lot of the generalisations are coming from the anti anti Roma people (to generalise for ease again). Certainly I've seen it reitierated time and again that comments are not aimed at the Roma due to ethnicity or anything as easily identifiable as that. And yet this does not sate the people who cannot see an issue except in purely PC terms.

I detest the fact that people's freedom of speech can be interrupted or even halted purely because it offends some people's ideas of what protection freedom of speech entitles people to.

I fully believe that there are claims of racism or bigotry in that thread against people on the most spurious and specious of grounds.

Being crude for a moment what really pops into my head when I read some of the obvious unfounded accusations of Racism is:

A: There's none so pure as a reformed hoor

or,

B: The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    that is our solution too. we just don't want people to arrest and deport people who haven't actually done anything wrong, simply because of their ethnicity, ie make sure these individual roma people are actually endangering their children before deporting them, rather than saying "you're a roma, therefore you must be endangering your children. f*ck off out of here"

How odd, I don't recall saying "deport them all".

Strange, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dinter wrote: »
    In all fairness though a lot of the anti Roma people (to generalise for ease) are purely talking about solutions to deal with Romas who are commiting crimes.
    then why even mention romas? why not simply say "people who commit crimes"?. why must there be a separate policy to deal with criminals who happen to be roma?
    I fully believe that there are claims of racism or bigotry in that thread against people on the most spurious and specious of grounds.
    i hope that you're not talking about the one i got banned for. what degsy said was (shortened) "would you hire a traveller or a roma? no you wouldn't".

that would have him prosecuted, fined and jailed for being racist. yet the comment "just because you're racist doesn't mean everyone else is" got me banned. :(

maoleary wrote: »
    How odd, I don't recall saying "deport them all".

Strange, that.

i didn't say you did say that. and nobody used those exact words. i was paraphrasing.

why can't we all just sit down and say "how do we deal with all these criminals"? rather than "how do we deal with these romas?", with the assumption that they are criminals?

when we start to make one policy for the majority and another for a small group, we start on a slippery slope. not too long ago, everyone thought it was ok to have separate laws for blacks and whites. now that's unthinkable but when we talk about irish and roma it's fine for some reason

It might be a generalisation, but in the case of the Roma who live that way, its 100% true. Rephrasing it so it doesnt hurt their itsy-bitsy feelings doesn't change the big picture. And its naive to think it does

• Advertisement

maoleary wrote: »
    It might be a generalisation, but in the case of the Roma who live that way, its 100% true. Rephrasing it so it doesnt hurt their itsy-bitsy feelings doesn't change the big picture. And its naive to think it does

when people talk about what to do about the roma, whether they like to admit it or not, they're making the assumption that all of the roma live that way, and treat them as such. i have no problem with f*cking out the roma that live that way, i have a problem with assuming that someone lives that way because they're a roma without giving them a chance to prove otherwise, such as with degsy who'd kick them out of an interview regardless of what they said

i'm going to stop now because this isn't really what feedback is for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i said _hate_fest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Do you have a problem with non racist, fact based freedom of expression?

Clearly, you do.

Out of curiousity how many Roma have you ever met?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If I ever get to record an album professionally, I am going to name it After hours Hate Fest, btw.

• Advertisement

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Do you have a problem with non racist, fact based freedom of expression?

Clearly, you do.

Out of curiousity how many Roma have you ever met?

oh yeah i must have missed all the census data and statistics that prove that every roma in the country and all their future children that aren't yet born have multiple convictions. silly me

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

oh yeah i must have missed all the census data and statistics that prove that every roma in the country and all their future children that aren't yet born have multiple convictions. silly me

Sam it appears to me you are trying to extend & continue your arguments from the AH threads becuase you have been banned from AH. The topic at hand was whether such a discussion was properly in AH at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i said _hate_fest

...and it's a problem because..?
    AH is one big hate fest - they hate work, they hate people who stand on escalators, people who mispel. There are posted with very strong anti-Roma views. There are people with very strong anti-work views. There are posters who oppose their views. It's called argumentation / discussion.
    I will not stand for all-out racist rhetoric / 'incitement to hatred', but discussion is certainly permissible and (dare I say it?) welcome.
    Now, would you kindly articulate your arguement and back it up with something (In simpler terms: Point out exactly what you think is wrong, and what you think is wrong with it). Otherwise, as well as missing the PM function and Report This Post, you missed the Get It Off Your Chest thread.

If I ever get to record an album professionally, I am going to name it After hours Hate Fest, btw.

Catchy.

A lot of the generalisations are coming from the anti anti Roma people (to generalise for ease again). Certainly I've seen it reitierated time and again that comments are not aimed at the Roma due to ethnicity or anything as easily identifiable as that. And yet this does not sate the people who cannot see an issue except in purely PC terms.

I detest the fact that people's freedom of speech can be interrupted or even halted purely because it offends some people's ideas of what protection freedom of speech entitles people to.

Being crude for a moment what really pops into my head when I read some of the obvious unfounded accusations of Racism is:

A: There's none so pure as a reformed hoor

or,

B: The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

The threads basically borked because people who actually want to discuss the issue are getting caught up in "SHUT UP YOU RACIST!", "NO SHUT UP LIBERAL SCUM" slanging.

I asked several times for people to give straight answers, which was ignored in earnest and of course just followed with further "Im not racist, but they're all rotten" comments.

I think AH should be renamed "After Hatred." Another great CD title there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Rb wrote: »
    A Bleeding Hearts/Lets Be As Pc As Can Be forum hasn't been set up yet.
    And we don't need one either!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

z113055808.jpg

z113055808.jpg

Stop.....laughing..........tee hee....

Damn.

The threads basically borked because people who actually want to discuss the issue are getting caught up in "SHUT UP YOU RACIST!", "NO SHUT UP LIBERAL SCUM" slanging. .

Couldn’t agree more.

I asked several times for people to give straight answers, which was ignored in earnest and of course just followed with further "Im not racist, but they're all rotten" comments.

Or the you’re all rotten racist intimations that the thread is filled with

In any debate it’s important to remember that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I think AH should be renamed "After Hatred."

Nah, that presumes that AH will stop having hatred in it! :D

in any debate it’s important to remember that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Where did the cigar come from? Has it got a job? Do you choose to never smoke cigars of a brand, because you had a bad experience of one once? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

so, we havent come up with a reason to move this thread form AH?

good stuff.

• Advertisement

Where did the cigar come from? Has it got a job? Do you choose to never smoke cigars of a brand, because you had a bad experience of one once? :)

Spot on.

;)

so, we havent come up with a reason to move this thread form AH?

good stuff.

Only one I could think of is the huge manaties forum, but not really.

Maximilian wrote: »
    Sam it appears to me you are trying to extend & continue your arguments from the AH threads becuase you have been banned from AH.

in fact i was responding to others who were continuing the argument here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

in fact i was responding to others who were continuing the argument here

That-Is-A_conspiracy.jpg

Degsy wrote: »
    That-Is-A_conspiracy.jpg

*notes the similarity to Degsy's avatar... hmm...*

Degsy wrote: »
    That-Is-A_conspiracy.jpg
    i'm wondering, not for the first time i might add, if you're actually reading my posts or just posting whatever happens to be in your head at the time and accidentally quoting me.

that post would be a great way to take the piss out of me if it had anything to do with the post you quoted but it really doesn't what conspiracy? What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Gotta love this forum.

1211565322.jpg

1211565220.jpg

Karoma wrote: »
    Otherwise, as well as missing the PM function and Report This Post

i have used that on occasion but never got any indication that its responded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i have used that on occasion never got any indication that its responded too.

...because we didn't do as you said? [I'll leave it at that, without discussing specifics of the reported posts]
    I try to send a PM if I don't do what a user requests in the reported post, but it's simply not feasible to do so for the vast majority of reports.

Every reported post is read and considered for what it's worth. If you really want to follow up on it, send me a PM. If you think reported posts are being ignored, you should raise the matter with the moderators of the fora, and after that with the CMod or Help Desk.

• Advertisement

why should I do that when i just snarky aggressive responses from mods?

Im not discussing specific posts, its a general issue.

Advertisement