Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automotive management/technology and transport operations courses?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Automotive Management and Technology and
    Transport Operations and Technology are the two courses that im looking at so im just wondering is Automotive Management and Technology a hands on course and what type of jobs would i be going into after i finish?

Transport Operations and Technology. Is this a hands on couse also and what jobs would i be able to get into ?

Thank you !

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

did this for two years astm.

emm its hands on for one afternoon a week, disgusting long hours, lectures are... well long and imo tripe. basic basic maths, if your a petrol head you'll love it, if not... you will dispise every waking minute. pm me for any details, its dt007 yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

did this for two years astm.

emm its hands on for one afternoon a week, disgusting long hours, lectures are... well long and imo tripe. basic basic maths, if your a petrol head you'll love it, if not... you will dispise every waking minute. pm me for any details, its dt007 yea?

Long hours?
    I wouldn't say that now, I'm just finishing second year and 3 out of 5 days i'm off at 1 and other days in till 4.

Friend who is just finishing third year was in till 4 or 5 the first 4 days of the week but he got all day friday off

Also OP they are planning to add a 4th year to DT007 too.

Hands on isn't really that great, 2 hours a week and it's not really hands on. It is kinda just like lets look at a few parts on a table. Can still be interest but it's not a mechanics course so they don't have to teach you how to take something apart and fix it!

It is a lot more directed towards Management than the technology, the technology and maths is just so that when you do go out into a management positon in the motor industry ya have an appreciation about what the mechanics do and the difference between the parts etc.!

I enjoy it though,if you have half a brain and enjoy cars/motor industry it's pretty easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AdamIRL343

cool thanks for that ye i am just wondering whats the progression like when u finigh the 3 years and what type of jobs would you go into after thanks !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Beekay wrote: »
    Long hours?
    I wouldn't say that now, I'm just finishing second year and 3 out of 5 days i'm off at 1 and other days in till 4.

Friend who is just finishing third year was in till 4 or 5 the first 4 days of the week but he got all day friday off

Also OP they are planning to add a 4th year to DT007 too.

Hands on isn't really that great, 2 hours a week and it's not really hands on. It is kinda just like lets look at a few parts on a table. Can still be interest but it's not a mechanics course so they don't have to teach you how to take something apart and fix it!

It is a lot more directed towards Management than the technology, the technology and maths is just so that when you do go out into a management positon in the motor industry ya have an appreciation about what the mechanics do and the difference between the parts etc.!

I enjoy it though,if you have half a brain and enjoy cars/motor industry it's pretty easy

ah well i did it a few years ago and hated it with a lust... dispised the course, each to their own, wasnt really into cars...that didnt help. Corrigan still head there?

ah well i did it a few years ago and hated it with a lust... dispised the course, each to their own, wasnt really into cars...that didnt help. Corrigan still head there?

ah right, well it is all semesterised(sp??) now so maybe that has changed the timetable.

Yeah he is still there not sure if he is the head though, Bracken might be the head but Corrigan still has something to do with the course

To op, The jobs they seem to be aiming to get you into are in a main dealer garage in service/parts or sales and then into a mangement position in those areas.

• Advertisement

Beekay wrote: »

Yeah he is still there not sure if he is the head though, Bracken might be the head but Corrigan still has something to do with the course

ugh bracken...<shudder>

corrigan has the final say on issues tho as i recall. think he's head of transport dept, and brcken course head.

does hall still lecture maths?, whos the applied mech guy... the 'none of us would be here if it wasnt for friction' guy?:D

ok cool so there would be good career options and would they be well paied sorry for all the questions lol :pac:

ugh bracken...<shudder>

corrigan has the final say on issues tho as i recall. think he's head of transport dept, and brcken course head.

does hall still lecture maths?, whos the applied mech guy... the 'none of us would be here if it wasnt for friction' guy?:D

Yeah, he thoght me maths last year!

I've had two applied mechanics guys so far. One is Jim Long and the other Brunton(baldy guy) can't remember if either of them ever said that!hahahaha

To Adam. Yeah the career options can be pretty decent, when you finish DT007 you can transfer into third year of the transport course and do that too.

The jobs would be paid well enough at the start and then should increase with experience etc.

well lads you have been a great help ! thanks very much any more info would be appreciated if anyone feals it is necessary thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Im a big Petrol Head and i have Transport as choice one
    and Automotive for choice 1 in level 6/7
    want the transport one really, if i didnt get it i would be devasted and will repeat!

• Advertisement

gaz d wrote: »
    Im a big Petrol Head and i have Transport as choice one
    and Automotive for choice 1 in level 6/7
    want the transport one really, if i didnt get it i would be devasted and will repeat!

what do u know about the transport one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seataltea

Hey AdamIRL343. Have you decided on the course yet? Are you looking at a full time time course? Have any opinions on DT069? Anybody ever do this?

jasus this course is popular... I kinds wish i stuck with it now :(

seataltea wrote: »
    Hey AdamIRL343. Have you decided on the course yet? Are you looking at a full time time course? Have any opinions on DT069? Anybody ever do this?

well i have them on my CAO anyways

yes i am now in DToo7 and love it !

twas ft007 in my day :o

Advertisement