Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Fresh fruit & Berries

• 21-05-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I love this time of the year especially when is comes to fruit!
    There is an excellent selection of naturally ripened Strawberries, Blueberries, Galia Melons available.

I'm currently enjoying them in my home made smoothies, 1 a day with 12 strawberries, a handfull of Blueberries, half a galia melon, 1 banana, some Mango pieces & applejuice (a tasty way to get 5 portions of fruit in one go!)

My question I suppose is: Is there a way to freeze these berries so that they retain their freshness & sweet ripeness?
    I'd like to have a supply available for later in the year, when naturally ripened fruit becomes scarce (esp Strawberries)

Would it be adviseable to freeze the smoothie mixture & how long do you think it would keep in the freezer ?

Look forward to any suggestions people may have.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've prepared mixes for smoothies before and frozen them. Fruit has a high water content so it should be just fine. I put them into individual freezer bags and sealed them. They'll last a few months anyway, like most frozen food. Freeze them while they're fresh though!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

From freezing just fruit with my mum, the best way to go if you want to do that is to freeze the pieces individually first on a baking tray. Then move them into a bag. They freeze much better that way.

Plus marble like gooseberries are really amusing.

Advertisement