Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best directory for live music in Sligo?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

...is there even one?

Ideally there'd be something updated by the venues themselves.

I'm just kinda lazy and I want to be able to google everything in life. Maybe the reason nobody goes to performances in Sligo (it's been mentioned here before) is because nobody finds out about them? I certainly don't seem to...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

What about the free newspaper "Scene It"? Google's not too handy sometimes when looking for events in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's NO online gig directory... and some of the venues don't even advertise on their own websites, which is just pathetic. I was at the Clarence last Friday & caught The Flaws, but only coz they were playing there (no knowledge of it beforehand - pity, coz they were ****e).

The Scene does do gig listings, but they'll only list what the bands / promoters send in.. so, if you've a band travelling to Sligo who don't know about the paper, they won't be listed. In some cases, the listings are wrong - David Kitt's gig was advertised for a Saturday night & he was playing to an empty room on the Friday.

You'd think Ireland's "premier" music magazine, Hot Press, would be better - but they're still listing "Strictly Handbag" in the Left Bank every fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I always forget to pick up Scene it. Especially since I've never seen it..

Xiney wrote: »
    I always forget to pick up Scene it. Especially since I've never seen it..

Ooooh.... what an awful pun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Theres a poster in the atm beside E.Js showing all the events in the Clarence for the next few weeks , thats probably as good as you're gonna get!

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote: »
    Theres a poster in the atm beside E.Js showing all the events in the Clarence for the next few weeks , thats probably as good as you're gonna get!

You mean I have to get out of my chair, walk down a flight of stairs, cross the road, walk halfway down Castle St., check out a poster then do a return journey. Not a chance. I'd rather sit here at my PC and complain. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

entertainment.ie do a bit but it is what the promoters/bands send in themselves i think

barrys put stuff up there and on there myspace (dont remember link)

Fiddlers have stuff in their doorway as do the pub on the corner by the old esb building

gigs are badly promoted, a certain arts centre that is currently getting some building work done have had some amazing acts over last couple of years with little or no promotion outside of there own coffee area
    U had to go in there and pick up leflets if u wanted to see if anything was on, u could miss a lot that way

Seeing as the promoters dont seem to send stuff in the newspapers could/should be chasing the promoters for news as it would be good for them to get a name for having all the gig/event info
    esp the free papers and NWR/atlantic?

maybe you could call nwr or whatever name they have this week and start a debate:D

I just did a google with 'sligo gig directory', top link was this page so Xiney i guess that means that you are now in charge of promoting events in Sligo, Good luck!

elshambo wrote: »

I just did a google with 'sligo gig directory', top link was this page so Xiney i guess that means that you are now in charge of promoting events in Sligo, Good luck!

:D:D:D

Xiney - please post this weeks gig listings ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

So The Flaws were ****e?
    Really? Do you like their album?
    ie Were they ****e live, or do you think they are just ****e?
    If so, glad I didn't get the chance to waste my money.

MikeySligo wrote: »
    So The Flaws were ****e?
    Really? Do you like their album?
    ie Were they ****e live, or do you think they are just ****e?
    If so, glad I didn't get the chance to waste my money.

They were just sh*te in general. I hadn't heard them before the gig, so I'd no pre-conceived notions of how they'd sound. First couple of tunes were your typical, generic, white boy guitar songs with a disco beat - ala Blondie - and totally over-used these days by every white boy guitar band from Franz Ferdinand to whoever's the "next big thing" this week. (Blondie on the other hand were a feckin great pop band). So, that part of the set was totally forgettable.

The singer then announced "this is the slow part of our set", which opened the doors for what only can be described as a sub-standard attempt to merge Jeff Buckley with Snow Patrol. That's when I went out to the smoking area till they finished up.

They DJ afterwards was, at least, half decent!

• Advertisement
Advertisement