Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car would you buy?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi guys, wanna change my car, I have been thinking in the last couple of months what car make should I get, if should be on petrol or a diesel one, if it should be a sport car :rolleyes: I would like a sport one...I really can't make my mind.
    I am waiting for good suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You'll have to give us some details about yourself your ecpected driving habits and what you require from your car ...narrow it down at least a bit.

thread moved from classic cars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You're not giving us a whole lot of information to go on here...

What's your budget? Have you a family? Do you play golf, surf, tow a horsebox, etc? Do you do mainly urban driving, commute or do long distance? What do you currently drive? What did you like and dislike about it? Do you place a premium on style or are you a practical type?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If it's going to be your first car, get something practical that you can pass your driving test in, if you have not yet done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

fricatus wrote: »
    You're not giving us a whole lot of information to go on here...
    What's your budget? Have you a family? Do you play golf, surf, tow a horsebox, etc? Do you do mainly urban driving, commute or do long distance? What do you currently drive? What did you like and dislike about it? Do you place a premium on style or are you a practical type?

I am getting it for myself, I don't play any of those things....I am working 3 kms away from home, I am stuck sometimes in traffic.
    Most of the driving is in town and I like the speed. I like to see the others behind me just taking the start when me I am already further...
    I don't want to spend too much, there's useless...the value of the car gets smaller the moment that the car leaves the factory. Anyway I keep a car only the first 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

non comprendre compadre

• Advertisement

If it's going to be your first car, get something practical that you can pass your driving test in, if you have not yet done it.
    It is not my first car and I definitely love the driving and the speed..but what I like it is too expensive and it is not worth the price for a few thousands kilometers per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ballpark figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

ClioV6 wrote: »
    ballpark figure?
    The car's or her's?:eek::p

dianaangeleyes, dont bother with a car....seriously. If you are only going to be driving it to work ,3km away, in heavy traffic you'll a)ruin your engine and b) ruin your purse by shelling out on something that you don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

not the most productive comment, Nforce.
    My suggestion would be a MAzda Mx-5.

Reasons:
    1. They're around nearly 20 years so one for EVERY budget
    2. most are 1.6 so cheap to tax, run and insure (esp. for female)
    3. Rear wheel drive so handling is fantastic
    4. Convertable, so great coming into the summer and weekends
    5. Suprisingly practical
    6. Cool to look at.

Look them up on the web and see if you like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

I don't want to spend too much, there's useless...the value of the car gets smaller the moment that the car leaves the factory. Anyway I keep a car only the first 3 years.

So by the sounds of it you're looking at something new or Ex-demo, budget of 30-50k? Are you talking Evo, Imprezza fast? Civic type r,Clio cup? If it's a petrol guzzler/Co2 fountain and you want new, time getting tight to have it here before July and €2K Tax.......

Any more info for us??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

not the most productive comment, Nforce.
    I dunno, i'd say Nforce's has been the most productive comment so far.

Nforce wrote: »
    The car's or her's?:eek::p
    dianaangeleyes, dont bother with a car....seriously. If you are only going to be driving it to work ,3km away, in heavy traffic you'll a)ruin your engine and b) ruin your purse by shelling out on something that you don't need.

I am driving 3kms every day to work and another 3 back but in the evenings the traffic is quite good for a nice driving. And the mountains and the sea are at 200 kms away. I could really use a nice powerful engine to make it there in less than 2 hours. The highway is really good till the sea.
    If you wake up at 6 in the weekend you can be on the beach already at 8 having a cold beer. Nice sun...summer is great.
    So I was thinking if I should get a powerful one or maybe it is too expensive. I tried my boss car, a really nice white BMW series 1, was gorgeous and it had everything on it.
    But I was thinking of a normal cheaper car too..don't know. I liked the Golf V too but they didn't change too much, I would have liked a newer design.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

How about a 1.9L Seat Leon diesel? Not too different from a Golf in some respects and cheaper too.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    How about a 1.9L Seat Leon diesel? Not too different from a Golf in some respects and cheaper too.

Do you know someone having it? I have some friends and they had some problems and they wait a lot for the pieces to come to the service..maybe the service is not that great.
    Though I must say it is a nice one. The 1.9 is around 100CP right? One thing I know for sure, the care that you suggested looks very good on the street, something is special about it.
    Hm, I may have a look again over the Seat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭positron

...And the mountains and the sea are at 200 kms away.

200kms from Galway? :D

positron wrote: »
    200kms from Galway? :D

not for this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭positron

not for this year :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics

Its going to be a loooong wait... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

r3nu4l wrote: »

+1
    The diesel version of this one ;)
    CB4_1057257_2_315499.jpg
    CLICK HERE FOR THE ABOVE SEAT LEON :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I could really use a nice powerful engine to make it there in less than 2 hours.

Im not sure exactly what you are saying here. A ford Fiesta will do nearly 100mph. I dont see why a particulaly powerful engine is important, seeing as there the speed limits & traffic to deal with, so whether you have a Fiesta or a Ferrari it probably wont make a hugh difference in time.

Thus, id agree that a 2nd hand MX 5, 1.8L would be a nice car to get if it meets your other criteria.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Im not sure exactly what you are saying here. A ford Fiesta will do nearly 100mph. I dont see why a particulaly powerful engine is important, seeing as there the speed limits & traffic to deal with, so whether you have a Fiesta or a Ferrari it probably wont make a hugh difference in time.

Thus, id agree that a 2nd hand MX 5, 1.8L would be a nice car to get if it meets your other criteria.

lol, Fiesta and Ferrari starts both with F, they have something in common
    I don't want a second car, I am not keeping a car more than the first 3 years.
    To be honest what I like is to expensive but I had a look at: Golf V, Toyota Auris, Citroen C4, Renault Megane Bicorp. But I don't wanna rush because I want to do the testing and see what I like more and offers me a better price quality, comfort, option packages and price.
    But now that they remind it me about Leon, I may go to see it too. I have a friend that had one, a yellow one 2.0 / 147 kW / 200 CP, was a great car, he actually did Europe with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Dg_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

vectra wrote: »
    +1
    The diesel version of this one ;)
    CB4_1057257_2_315499.jpg
    CLICK HERE FOR THE ABOVE SEAT LEON :cool:

I really like this car, but would probably go for Red or Black. Anyone have a price range on what to expect to pay? I was thinking of trading in my current VW Golf and getting the GTI, no sure what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I really like this car, but would probably go for Red or Black. Anyone have a price range on what to expect to pay? I was thinking of trading in my current VW Golf and getting the GTI, no sure what to do.

They do look nice. Big change for Seat. Still cant help wonder what the resale would be like in a couple of years. Until now Seat have had a poor resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Still cant help wonder what the resale would be like in a couple of years. Until now Seat have had a poor resale value.

Those blasted stupid comments drive me nutz :mad:

WAKE UP TO THE REAL WORLD...!!

That car cost a good few grand less than a gold equivelent so would you rewally expect to get golf trade in price when the time comes ?

@ Little-Devil.
    Click the link for a price.
    Also check prices here >> LEON's <<

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Alfa GT

That car cost a good few grand less than a gold equivelent so would you rewally expect to get golf trade in price when the time comes ?

@ Little-Devil.
    Jeez. It was just a question :rolleyes:

;)

@ Little-Devil.
    Jeez. It was just a question :rolleyes:

;)

By the way, I'm sure it would cost less than the equivalent in GOLD alright.

They do look nice. Big change for Seat. Still cant help wonder what the resale would be like in a couple of years. Until now Seat have had a poor resale value.

Actually you are right. I bought some magazines at the weekend and I've read about that. Was a top of the cars that kept their price in time.
    It's a good thing to take into consideration this too, especially when I don't want to keep a car more than 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭BSPOKE20

• Advertisement

BSPOKE20 wrote: »

lol, interesting collection car, but no thanks
    I think I have decided my mind, I wanna go to try a green diesel Citroen C4 coupe. I like the shapes and it is a good car for long drives.

Advertisement