Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing data into DB on shared hosting every evening

Options
  • 21-05-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

For a future project, i need to call a webservice at midnight, every night to import up to date data into a MS SQL DB.

The DB is on a shared hosting box, so im wondering what options i would have to call the code automatically that would call the web service that would import the data into the db.

edit, im using C# and ASP.NET

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

windows task scheduler ?

I'm not sure of the kinda of access you're allowed on the system though ...

I know I set this up on XP before .. (but it was a local machine) on linux I'd just say use cron ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Could you schedule this from within SQL Server itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

SQL 2005 supports CLR functions which you could have set to run using the SQL Agent as a job..

This post does a walkthrough of creating a CLR function to call an external web service.

You can then schedule the SP to run at midnight every day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You could also just write an app that will run on a local PC/server that calls the webservice, gets the data and writes it to your remote SQL server. And schedule it with the windows scheduler mentioned above

Advertisement