Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty disasters.

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Was poor and couldn't afford to get my roots done so I decided to dye it brown myself and it turned green.
    Even after the hairdressers fixed it there were green tinges off it.
    I also let my sister cut it at one stage... I ended up with a mini afro.
    I also used a towel in a hotel and got impetigo on my face, still have the scars. I looked like a klingon for ages.

GinnyJo wrote: »
    I also used a towel in a hotel and got impetigo on my face, still have the scars. I looked like a klingon for ages.

:eek:

Never ever using a towel that isn't mine again.

Don't its reall really not worth it, I have the scars to prove it.
    I just air dry when away from my own towels now.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

What is impetigo?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

A sking thing.

/sorrt at crap explanation

But you catch it, very contagious, big horribel scabs are the result, with yellow pus:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Sounds gross!!! My worst beauty disaster was getting a bikini wax two days before my holiday and the beautician left me bruised and with a nasty rash, could wear any thing other than loose cotton pants for days!!! Ruined my holiday until it calmed down:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Was poor and couldn't afford to get my roots done so I decided to dye it brown myself and it turned green.
    Even after the hairdressers fixed it there were green tinges off it.
    I also let my sister cut it at one stage... I ended up with a mini afro.

:eek:Wasn't the towel washed???? Can it still be there after they wash it? A friend of mine got that on holidays years ago and she still gets outbreaks every now and again 9 years later, it's a horrible thing!

I'm assuming it was washed, its the only thing I can pinpoint that was different that might have given me it, but I've heard of someone else getting it from a mosquito bite as well.
    It is horrible, looks awful, thankfully I didn't get any repeat infections but it was around where I pluck my eyebrows. so thats caused tiny scars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

1. Some things are best left to professionals - sister did 'home' waxing. Picture bleeding and brusing - whilst John Wayne pose. Quite a funny story
    2. Do not dry shave. It might feel smooth for abit - then comes the pain
    3. The spray tan in a can is crap - it was like dirty rain running down leg
    4. Some things are best left to professionals (part 2) - put down the tweezers. Get your first eyebrow shape done by someone else. I still wear eyebrow pencil when going out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Years ago when my friend was training to be hairdresser, she had to do a test and I was her model. She did my hair and when she went to the loo I was bored so applied some colour that was lying around to my fringe, (I wasnt having colour). Then I went out for a sneaky fag and lighting the ciggie up I burnt all the fringe.

Anyway the teacher examined me and told my poor pal that my hair was a disgrace and that she had failed:mad:.

She didn't talk to me for ages after that.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Beauty disasters, good grief where do i begin.

1.Using unknown foreign looking moisturiser i found in bag of bathroom press that i figured would still be ok. Had two Aunt Sally red cheeks for weeks.

2.Plucking my eyebrows until they were non-existent. They looked like this. ^^^ on each side! Crocodile teeth jobs. EXCEPT I thought they were lovely and continued to do so until the time i got sight of myself in a photo and half died with the horror. Didnt go near them for a year afterwards.

3.Being a poor student I decided to dye my lovely darkest brown hair blonde. I looked like a ginger fox. and not in a good way. We're talking road kill.

4.Again being a poor student, I went for the home waxing kit and decided to do my bikini line. My flatmates could hear me screeching from outside and came running into the house thinking i'd been murdered only to find me half naked, effing and blinding and waving a wax strip in the air.

5.Saving my pennies and going to proper professional for a bikini wax. Sadistic b1tch tortured me. Savlon she recommended for the "slight burning sensation". Shove your savlon up your backside love. I sat with an ice pack on my bits for the night. I walked like John Wayne for days and then developed the most unsightly rash. Like a leper.

6.Letting my flatmate cut my hair one night when we were all at home bored. She said she'd done an apprenticeship. Maybe for the Oompa Loompas at Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I had a STEP in the back of my hair. The hairdresser the next day half murdered me. She cut it so high at the back of my hair it took 18 months to grow out.

The list is endless. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Most of us have screwed up our hair at some point or other.

I've been green too. That one was an effort to go brown from blonde. But what we fail to realise is your hair has to be re-pigmented first.

Dye red first, then put in your brown. When you go the other way about, you can see it in reverse - you get the copper head first.

If you've been a brunette for a long time you tend to panic when you see it lightening up, then rinse it out too early.

In my teens I plucked the bejaysus out of my brows. Thankfully they look normal now..

One thing I hate is the anyone wearing the wrong foundation for their skin. It.Looks.Disasterous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

Dying my own hair coal black (naturally quite fair) and then being too lazy/embarrassed of the sooty black haystack on my head to go to the hairdressers to get it fixed. I kept up the blackness for about a year and was very very lax about doing my roots. Black hair + light brown roots = appearance of someone with a hole in their head :) And don't talk to me about the bits round the back of my head that I missed. When I did eventually go to a hairdressers 2 of them stood around me with their hands clapped over their mouths going 'Mother of divine......and you did this on purpose?' I was in the hairdressers for nearly 6 hours that time and nearly a year later am only just getting back to a colour that doesn't make me look like I'm wearing some kind of misguided wig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 moonglow

Abigayle wrote: »
    Most of us have screwed up our hair at some point or other.

I've been green too. That one was an effort to go brown from blonde. But what we fail to realise is your hair has to be re-pigmented first.

Dye red first, then put in your brown. When you go the other way about, you can see it in reverse - you get the copper head first.

If you've been a brunette for a long time you tend to panic when you see it lightening up, then rinse it out too early.

In my teens I plucked the bejaysus out of my brows. Thankfully they look normal now..

One thing I hate is the anyone wearing the wrong foundation for their skin. It.Looks.Disasterous.
    I have to agree with the foundation thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

So many!
    Plucking my eyebrows into oblivion when i was about 14. My mam would give out to me, tell me to leave them alone, that they looked like something you'd see on a hooker, and just to piss her off i kept doing it. :/

Dying my hair blue.

Dying my hair african green (again to piss the ma off)

Letting my brother "trim" my hair with a crayola scissors. I had really long hair, he promised he'd only cut a little off the bottom. Next thing, whoosh, I feel a breeze of air at my ear. F|_|cker was after scalping me. To make matters worse, the hairdresser had to cut even more off it to even it up ( what makes it worse is i shoulda had more sense, i was 13/14.

That veet stuff you wash off with the sponge thing? Yeah, I use this over in L.A, and it burned thru my skin. Then me, the brightspark i am, scrubs it with the sponge thing too, que my leg being cut and the cream getting into it.

Veet tonight too, also burned me. :(

Hot waxing my underarms. All going good, apply the wax, drop my arm down by my side, que me being literally stuck together. Oh the pain of that was unnatural.

fake tan for my debs, ya'd swear she was after taking after me with that ronseal spray thing. Oh lord. Patches wasnt even a word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I put what I thought was intensive moisturiser on my face, and I wondered why it wasn't rubbing in properly...

Next day I had red burn marks on my cheeks and forehead that didn't heal for about 10 days. :eek:

It was travel sized moisturising shower gel :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Oh and the day i mistook a tube of seaweed facemask for toothpaste... never realised til i had the green slime all over my teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Was looking at pics of myself when I was about 14, my eyebrows are tiny. It looked awful.
    Generally been ok other than that, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

MzFusspot wrote: »
    Dying my own hair coal black (naturally quite fair) and then being too lazy/embarrassed of the sooty black haystack on my head to go to the hairdressers to get it fixed. I kept up the blackness for about a year and was very very lax about doing my roots. Black hair + light brown roots = appearance of someone with a hole in their head :) And don't talk to me about the bits round the back of my head that I missed. When I did eventually go to a hairdressers 2 of them stood around me with their hands clapped over their mouths going 'Mother of divine......and you did this on purpose?' I was in the hairdressers for nearly 6 hours that time and nearly a year later am only just getting back to a colour that doesn't make me look like I'm wearing some kind of misguided wig.

Oh God, I'm actually crying with laughter at this one! I think it's the hairdressers going "Mother of divine....." - it's so Irish :D

Crap, no, it's no good, I'm broken. I've gone hysterical. I don't think it's just the story anymore. The cat's looking at me in terror.

I've no real disaster stories myself, just the seemingly standard self-bleach job that went daffodil yellow. Except I quite liked it like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Two disasters - 1) Growing my hair, I used to have really long hair which I loved. Having it really short (think Sinead O Connor) looked great but then when it grew a bit more it looked terrible...it is getting a bit better now but I still miss my long hair.
    2) Getting my makeup done at a counter and them putting on foundation - it looked and felt terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

a few years ago i got one of those "facial Hair Bleaching kits" coz i honestly thought it was the only thing that would do my roots. (Times must have been tough that month!!) lookes in the mirror after about ten mins ans it was Orange, so i decided to leave it on coz if it was Orange it'd obviously go lighter. It Didnt. Bit Orange Stripe down the middle of my scalp!! think i ended up dying a temporary darker colour over it!! dunno what the hell iwas thinking... :o
    i probably have loads actually...i may be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Home waxing. Apply wax strips to both sides of bikini line. Pull first strip off.

...go and make coffee and have a lie down to recover.

...watch a few episodes of Buffy on the telly.

...phone around for car insurance quotes.

Eventually realise people will be home in half an hour, and you can't still be half naked with a wax strip stuck on you.

Spend 15 minutes going "one two three NOW" only to have your fingers release the strip on the word 'NOW'.

Spend 10 minutes swearing and wondering 'How the fcuk...'

Have your eye light upon 'Tom Sawyer' on the bookcase.

Tie one end of a piece of string to wax strip and another to door handle.

...slam door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

i was asked to do hair modelling. they said they'd only trim my hair.

well oh well.
    i ended up with about of 1/5 of the hair i started out with. they told me it was very depeche mode.....i was 18 and hadnt a clue who depeche mode were, but ill tell you this....id say they were definately MEN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

In primary school I accidentally used shower gel as soap to wash my face for a couple of nights. I ended up with all the skin on my face going dry and peeling, so I basically looked like a leper. The skin was even falling off my ear.
    I think the worst thing about it was that I had to act in a school play like that, and no, I didn't have the luck to be playing the part of a zombie.

I've accidentally brushed my teeth with veet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Moonbaby wrote: »

Does it taste as bad as it smells?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Moonbaby wrote: »

Oh lord. You know the main ingredient in that stuff is Urea, right?

cuckoo wrote: »

Does it taste as bad as it smells?

It wasn't that bad until the burning sensation.

Weidii wrote: »
    Oh lord. You know the main ingredient in that stuff is Urea, right?

Thats doesn't bother me. It isn't like the source urea from urine.
    Water is an ingredient of urine too.
    Besides if you put it on your skin it can be absorbed into your bloodstream, just as if you had eaten it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Home waxing. Apply wax strips to both sides of bikini line. Pull first strip off.

...go and make coffee and have a lie down to recover.

...watch a few episodes of Buffy on the telly.

...phone around for car insurance quotes.

Eventually realise people will be home in half an hour, and you can't still be half naked with a wax strip stuck on you.

Spend 15 minutes going "one two three NOW" only to have your fingers release the strip on the word 'NOW'.

Spend 10 minutes swearing and wondering 'How the fcuk...'

Have your eye light upon 'Tom Sawyer' on the bookcase.

Tie one end of a piece of string to wax strip and another to door handle.

...slam door.

oh the home waxing.....yeah. tried that once. ended up with a load of tiny little PUrple Bruises on one side. nice.

Advertisement