Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messhugah

• 21-05-2008 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭

This band perplexes me. The vocals are a bit much, too extreme and not melodic at all, just monotonal wailing. However the polyrhythms and odd time sigs are brilliant. The riffs churn like a machine, I guess their not aiming for melodic. The solos are cool too, they sound mysterious. Also their new video is quite cool, like the ghostbusters esque aspect to it at the end. The dude who sits on a weird pan dimensional platform with his slaves who look similar to the dogs and gozer.
    They are way too heavy for me though, just in terms of the vocals and too dark/disturbing. I could imagine their music being the soundtrack to a gore dungeon film like Hellraiser.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I love the band, but it did take me a long time to get into them. The singer wouldn't be my favourite, but I can't think of much else that would suit the music so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Tried getting into them, and couldn't. I think the vocalist is pretty good, and his high screams really add to the coldness of the music. Unfortunately, any time I put one of their albums on, I have to turn it off halfway through due to it absolutely wrecking my head. Dunno if its the constant polyrhythms or the lack of variation on the *chug chug chug* style of riffage (except chug riff A being a completely different time sig to chug riff B), but I can't really see the appeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The "I" ep is a great place to start with them. It's chuffing great too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GrewSome

Not a great fan of Meshuggah, a bit too heavy for me, but absolutely accomplished musicians and thats what i like to hear in music.I do think that Fredrik Thordenal is an amazing guitarist tho. See also, Sol Niger Within to hear him play his solo release.

see also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GrewSome

ok, i know ive posted this clip before but (thanks everyone that helped) i think its relevant at this time. bye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I love the band, can't get enough of them, shall be seeing them at hellfest in about 31 days :D. People always get confused with polyrhythms though, since meshuggah mostly play in syncopated 4/4 (as claimed by themselves), not to meantion the fact that 99% of what people hear in meshuggah songs are actually polymeters (see my explanation video here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6rUE5Px8pw )

It took me a while to get into them, but after I did they became one of my most favourite bands ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Being a drummer I find this band fascinating, Tomas Haake does very well in keeping those fantastical rhythms in check!

I first got in to these when I happened across "I" an EP with just one track that goes on for about 20 minutes. Mesmerizing.

Advertisement