Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online games have completely changed me. *A long random rant*

Options
  • 21-05-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

I like all of you grew up playing mario, battle city, .....

Played, NES, Sega, PSX... many single player games.

Moved to a PC, played games there, THEN I found out about online, Call of Duty, BF2, CS... ever since, I can't play a single player game.

The only 2 games I've played were, HL2 and Doom3, and both of them I used cheats at the end. I didn't even bother with bioshock, I just watched a walkthrough on youtube.

I don't know for some reason I've lost patience for single player games, when with online games, you can just jump into the middle of the action and the essence of the game, immediately.

I feel locked out when playing alone, online, it's with other people, you know when you kill them it makes a difference to them.

I sort of had a "gamer's life crisis", bought a PS2, thought I'd play it, I didn't touch that thing, I'm thinking of buying 360 + forza, I'm kinda interested in the game, and it's online(I don't know how many people play it though), but I don't know.... it's the only game that interests me in 360, PS3, it's well, interesting, Tekken 6(online hopefully), Gran Turismo 5(online), other than that......

When playing a single player game, I feel like a mouse in a labyrinth that the game devs have set for me, and I think "screw them, why bother with this crap!? when I can get instant action in say BF2"

I've noticed that I have more of a crave to want to play a game, not actually wanting to play it through, I've collected(I'm a collector at heart) some PSX games, PS2 games, I have them as a collection, but I don't ever play them :confused:

Anybody else like me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

When I'm playing a single player game on my xbox I usually start a private chat with one of my friends while I play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

I'd have to say im in a similar position to the OP. I haven't played games in months as I dont have the patience to play. In the last few days i've started playing Halo 3 and COD 4 online. Thank god for xbox Live , its getting me back into games. Playing singleplayer now makes me feel isolated in a way as opposed to communicating with people over the headset which is more social ( allthough this could be considered stupid as your still on your own).

I also have a huge collection of games that i've bought becasue the general concensus is that they're great games , yet I cant be bothered playing them. I've also bought games after playing the demo and enjoyed it, yet when I get the retail game I just dont make the effort.

So at the moment its just online games for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, I'm totally the opposite. Much prefer a great single player experience than an online multiplayer one. I usually play a few games of any online game I get but quickly get bored of it. I find killing faceless annoying teens gets boring and once the community gets filled with people who take the game too seriously it loses the fun value. I much prefer lans when you are killing people you know and the playing field is a lot more level. Haven't got any form 'real life tm' so that probably reduces the experience somewhat although the odd boards online nights have been good fun.

I think that you just can't make a good story based game in an online environment and these tend to be the games I would go for. It's probably the reason I'd play something like Bioshock or Metroid Prime well before I'd jump into another online game of CoD4.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

I never thought I'd get into online games. Halo 2 changed all that. Nothing like taking on real opponents. Its infinitely more satisfying when a tactic comes off against a person than some AI. And team games... Just brilliant! Nothing like coming back to win a Team Slayer match 50-49.

Thankfully though it hasn't ruined me for the offline experience. Still love the likes of Half Life 2 and I can't wait to get my teeth into GTA4 (when my broken 360 gets returned :mad:)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think that you just can't make a good story based game in an online environment...

I'd agree with Retr0 here. I doubt we'll ever get anything the the quality of (my fave) Baldur's Gate 2 online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I would never play Split Screen with friends anymore unless we are with each other. A simple way around screen looking is to get system links, There's nothing better than playing with 6 Xbox 360's hooked up together and having a few beers...:D

Online is just as fun, but is way more competitive, because you understand that its about being better than other people/teams. I think Xbox live is much easier than Pc gaming online, on xbox live you can simply join into your friends games and its much quicker to play. Pc gaming kind of divides the players and you are required to download teamspeak/xfire just to have a good game.

I would still play single player in games, but its more just for a break away from the competition and seriousness of online gaming. Bots are great target practice...Online gaming has certainly changed the way i game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I play both and prefer neither really. Both have their good sides.

I think rarely will the multiplayer aspect have the cinematic scripted brilliance of some single player moments whereas singleplayer often lacks the unexpected intelligence of your opponents or the adreneline rush you can also get.

Having said that my computer will never say something like "J00 kill3d m3 j00 fagg0t hax0r!!!!1111" and then start to make noise down the mic/play a crappy song for 10 minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm with Retro here, and think that a good single player game is far better then any online games. I love online games, but i prefer actually feeling (one way or another) about what happens in games. A good game is like a good book...its escapism. I like to feel, one way or another, abot the characters in a game. Online games cant do that imo.

Warcraft for example....i've played my main character for over 25 days (/played) and i dont care at all about him. He is basically just a faceless, emotionless character. Give me Ryo Hazuki, Gordon Freeman (with Alex :D), Cloud Strife, Cmdr Sheppard, the protaginist from Baldurs Gate, (i'll think of more in a few minutes) anyday. Give me party members that i will actually go out of my way to help, like Wrex, HK47, Minsc, Alex. Give me bad guys that i genuinly dislike (not for being crap characters, but for being proper bad guys), like Fontaine, GlaDoS, Shodan, Kefka, Saren, Irenicus. Basically...

GIVE ME A STORY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I say "put the hands together"

I'm still waiting for some truly great multiplayer games that will allow for coop on the main storyline. Like having the option of playing through Half life, with one of your mates controlling Dog or Alyx as they fight alongside you. having a layout somewhat like "Time Crisis" where you's have to split off from each some times and then meet up again at a later point in the game.

I still like single player games, but thats mainly because I can't stand playing online against kids who haven't slept in days and who have perfected bunny hopping while getting headshots with a sniper rifle.

Once strict ranked online play takes off for all multiplayer games i'll probably get more into it though, at least then i'll be playing against people at the same level as me.

L31mr0d wrote: »

I'm still waiting for some truly great multiplayer games that will allow for coop on the main storyline. Like having the option of playing through Half life, with one of your mates controlling Dog or Alyx as they fight alongside you. having a layout somewhat like "Time Crisis" where you's have to split off from each some times and then meet up again at a later point in the game.

I still like single player games, but thats mainly because I can't stand playing online against kids who haven't slept in days and who have perfected bunny hopping while getting headshots with a sniper rifle.

Once strict ranked online play takes off for all multiplayer games i'll probably get more into it though, at least then i'll be playing against people at the same level as me.

I thought Army Of Two Would have been the best Co-op game, i played two levels with my mate and i didn't find it that great. Maybe you have to get into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I thought Army Of Two Would have been the best Co-op game, i played two levels with my mate and i didn't find it that great. Maybe you have to get into it...

I played through all the coop missions in Burnout Paradise City with a friend and found that pretty good. But I'd like a whole storyline based around your characters and their cooperation with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

One of the biggest problems I have with playing online is the fact that you have to deal with other people, and I have never had an online session of anything that didn't have some pathetic cretin trying to make things less enjoyable for everyone else, whether it's a griefer in Eve or some tit in COD 4 who teamkills over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of good times playing against other humans since my days of Jedi Knight and 56k dialup. But it's not exactly deep and immersive when the team you just killed congratulates you, gets back up and switches sides. I love the sense of immersion a good single player game will bring. A world that draws you in until you almost feel part of it is a rare and wonderful creation, like Okami, Half-Life, Thief, and so on. Feeling part of the story, letting it carry you along its twists and turns through to a satisfying conclusion is what I think gaming is really all about. You just don't get that with online play, for the most part (although I think Eve online is close to getting it right).

One thing I have never understood is why people rarely if ever play an online RPG the way they're supposed to be played. The whole point of a role-playing game is role-playing. It's hard to enjoy an RPG experience when Groktar the mighty orc warlord is just a thin paper mask that badly hides Colin the 13 year old social retard with Tourette's Syndrome. I don't recall any fantasy literature that ever depicted a bunch of f*ckheads running around nude, stabbing peasents and begging for gold so they could buy a bigger sword. No, instead of a living breathing fantasy world you have a a sprawling, tree-and-monster-filled Counterstrike chat channel because nobody's willing to play a role. And because of that, everyone you meet in such a game is lifeless, and the game as a whole is dead inside because of it.

With a single player RPG I get to immerse myself in the story properly, there are no morons trying to sell me crap I don't want, nobody questions my sexual orientation unless it's part of the plot, and I can rely on the NPCs not to scream leeroy jenkins and get everyone killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Leeeeeeroy JEEEEENKINS!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Offline, playing Crysis and Hitman2. Fun, and also a challenge at times (have played some levels just creeping around, trying not to be seen.

Online, the enemy would be a mix, between easy, and god-like. Playing some games can be great fun, but when some ****er shoots you in the back before taking the plane that you were going towards... is sh|te (Esp in Flaming Dart, in BFV). Saying that, it's great fun going against someone else, when sniping. A 1-v-1 fight, amidst 30 other people, great fun, be it sniping, or dog-fighting in BF1942. CoD4 is fun, but very close quarters. Good for being an infantry, but not great for sniping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

L31mr0d wrote: »

I'de like to see this too, hopefully Left 4 Dead will deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i find its in waves, there are some periods where online games really pull me in and I go on a mad online gaming spree (most recent was with company of heroes and command and conquer 3) and then suddenly I would loose interest in online games (despite being fantastic online, neither UT3 or Team Fortress 2 held my interest for too long) and go on a single player bender (Bioshock, Crysis.)

Now its coming around again, I'm loosing interest in single player games and am having the urge to go back to some online goodness (might be Conan tomorrow.)

and so on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm hoping left 4 dead doesn't have any ridiculous rewards, accomplishments or rankings since these always lead to people being selfish just to extend their e-penis in even the most miniscule way. When co-op games don't reward team work they degenerate into a complete mess with a load of me feiners looking out only for themselves and giving out to anyone that doesn't keep up instead of trying to help everyone get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    i find its in waves, there are some periods where online games really pull me in and I go on a mad online gaming spree (most recent was with company of heroes and command and conquer 3) and then suddenly I would loose interest in online games (despite being fantastic online, neither UT3 or Team Fortress 2 held my interest for too long) and go on a single player bender (Bioshock, Crysis.)

Now its coming around again, I'm loosing interest in single player games and am having the urge to go back to some online goodness (might be Conan tomorrow.)

and so on.

^^^ this is me... am i... blitzkrieg?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

DotA for warcraft 3 has stolen my gaming life :(

its just too good.
    only problems are annoying teens who leave half way through and f-up the balance.
    there is nothing like a game with 9 other ppl you know tho who dont leave. an absolute blast at LAN parties. has a bit of a learning curve tho

Jazzy wrote: »
    DotA for warcraft 3 has stolen my gaming life :(

its just too good.
    only problems are annoying teens who leave half way through and f-up the balance.
    there is nothing like a game with 9 other ppl you know tho who dont leave. an absolute blast at LAN parties. has a bit of a learning curve tho

I only found out that basshunters song 'DotA' is about the Warcraft III Custom Map Defense of the Ancients, And its became so popular, especially among the scangers....and they don't know what it is about! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Sarky wrote: »
    One thing I have never understood is why people rarely if ever play an online RPG the way they're supposed to be played. The whole point of a role-playing game is role-playing. It's hard to enjoy an RPG experience when Groktar the mighty orc warlord is just a thin paper mask that badly hides Colin the 13 year old social retard with Tourette's Syndrome.

Maybe someone should make an MMORPG where you don't pick your own character, one where you do a personality test and you are given a character based on your personality and you have to live up to that personality to make it work, eg if you get the big strong epic hero, you have to do all the good quests, and help anyone that needs help, doing otherwise will make you weaker over time and to tie it into what Kiith said:
    Kiith wrote:
    Give me bad guys that i genuinly dislike (not for being crap characters, but for being proper bad guys)
    whoever, according to the personality test, is the biggest sociopathic jerk gets to be the boss:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Screw DOTA, Footman frenzy is the best! :)

Advertisement