Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Vista run my old games?

Options
  • 21-05-2008 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have some old games that I am worried will not work on my new laptop

will Vista support old games written for Windows, or XP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

A significant number of games written for Windows XP either crash or creep along slowly on Vista, Most of the problems have been found in popular first-person shooter games such as CounterStrike, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and F.E.A.R.

It's the current drivers which are not that good and they are causing the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I have vista on my machine and HL2 and FEAR run fine. What games are talking about thirdmantackle? Maybe someone who has tried those games will leave more detailed feedback.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hello

I have some old games that I am worried will not work on my new laptop

will Vista support old games written for Windows, or XP?

no offence man but its not windows or Xpm theres Windows XP and different versions of windows 2000 etc.

try and be more specific about what games in particular?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Creature wrote: »
    I have vista on my machine and HL2 and FEAR run fine. What games are talking about thirdmantackle? Maybe someone who has tried those games will leave more detailed feedback.

I can vouch for those too, plus CS.

I think when Vista came out first there were huge problems with it vis-a-vis games, probably due to drivers and what not. I had stuff crash etc. all the time but they have fixed that from what I can see.

I have probably about 20-30 games installed on my PC at home, running Vista, some of them quite old and I can honestly say I have had no problems running any of them. For example, Thief 3 recently, Planescape Torment a while before (4th time playing that!).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

very mixed bag, ive had a fair amount of probs running oldish games in vista

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Try googling ""Game Name" Vista Patch", some games have patches to work on vista, you might get lucky.
    Also some games look for directx9 files (dx3dx9.dll or something similar) that don't come with Vista (well mine didn't have them), but this can be remedied by installing dx9 from microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    A significant number of games written for Windows XP either crash or creep along slowly on Vista, Most of the problems have been found in popular first-person shooter games such as CounterStrike, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and F.E.A.R.

It's the current drivers which are not that good and they are causing the problems.
    every single game you mentioned there i have and play fine and dandy on vista 64-bit.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Cremo wrote: »
    every single game you mentioned there i have and play fine and dandy on vista 64-bit.

Cremo, out of interest how does Vista 64 run vis-a-vis ganes generally. I shied away from it for fear of having problems with games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Ross_Mahon wrote: »

No they don't. Every one of those games has played on my Vista (Home Premium 32bit) machine perfectly (except CS, which I don't play, but if HL2 works it works). I have lots of old games and none of them have had a problem running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Maximilian wrote: »
    Cremo, out of interest how does Vista 64 run vis-a-vis ganes generally. I shied away from it for fear of having problems with games.

I've actually never had any problems with Vista 64. Haven't really tried any ancient games or anything, but it works perfectly for me on games from the last year or so. Of course, unless a game is written with 64 bit architecture in mind, it won't get any performance increases or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Cremo wrote: »

Same here, no problems running any of my games on Vista 64

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

excuse my complete ignorance but what are vis-a-vis games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

its a figure of speech but its missing an accent whihc may have thrown you off the scent..
    rough translation "how does vista run in relation to games generally"

Vis-à-vis, from the French language (literally "face to face")
    The most common use of the phrase in English means 'with regard to' or 'in relation to'.
    The earliest known uses of the phrase in English date from 1750, at which time it already meant three things depending on context. This is unusual for a new entry into the language.

Advertisement