Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! PC wont boot after bios update..

Options
  • 21-05-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

ok heres the problem,

Was running a dual core conroe e6600 on this morther board with bios 0701 which looks to be the oldest bios that would run a dual core, this was pre installed when bought. So i just got a quad core QX9650 and needed to update the bios as when i popped processor into the motherboard and tried to boot it. It would only get as far as the nram or vram calculating(cant remember which one). So i downloaded the latest firware from the asus website which is bios version 2704. I stuck the new bios onto a disc and let it boot with Use built-in EZ Flash on the asus motherboards. All went fine and completed, so it went to re-boot but the pc only booted as far as a blank black screen and thats it wont go any further.

I know what your going to say, did you back up my bios. No i forgot! How can i flash an older version of bios to this or is the motherboard for the bin?

So can anyone help, Please

thanks in advance

brophy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Try pressing ALT F2 during post to enable ez flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Try resetting the CMOS - there may be a jumper or button on the motherboard somewhere (I'm not familiar with Asus stuff), or take the battery out for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

No i cannot get to the bios setup at all, when i switch on the computer it starts, but thats it. I actually dont think that i am getting a black screen it seems that the monitor is not receiving a signal from the graphics card. I have an nvidia 7950gt connected to my monitor lg 22" lcd with a dvi-d cable. The monitor will come on when i switch on power but when pc is on the light on the front just goes to amber like the monitor is power saving or asleep. Also there is no power to the mouse or keyboard but there usually wouldn't be until the windows starting page appears.

I have just removed the cmos battery and reseated the graphics card but no joy. Still the same.

I have also stuck in the recovery cd that came with the motherboard but it wont boot from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

could be the power supply has gone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

put back in the e6600 and try to boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

I have the old CPU in and it is still the same. I have burned the old version of the bios i was using to a blank disc with nero's bootable image to see if it would boot from that but no joy still the same.

Could it be the power supply if both of the dvd drives and the fans for the cpu and case are working? I have stuck in my pendrive to see if the led on it comes on to determine if there is power going to the usb ports and it will not light. But this could be caused by the bios? I have contacted asus tech support team with an email but will call them after lunch today. In the mean time found a crowd in holland that sell the bios chips with the latest bios version on it and also the tool for removing your bios chip from the motherboard so going to order one of them in the mean time. When the bios chip comes is it just a matter of removing the old chip with the tool and sticking in the new one and booting up?

thanks for the help so far lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

brophy wrote: »
    I have the old CPU in and it is still the same. I have burned the old version of the bios i was using to a blank disc with nero's bootable image to see if it would boot from that but no joy still the same.
    AFAIK it won't be able to boot from anything else until after POST, and your PC is failing before or at POST as there's no video. Are there any diagnostic lights on the motherboard or on a blanking plate attachment thingy?
    Could it be the power supply if both of the dvd drives and the fans for the cpu and case are working? I have stuck in my pendrive to see if the led on it comes on to determine if there is power going to the usb ports and it will not light. But this could be caused by the bios?
    It's possible it won't give power to USB until it starts booting. Not really any way of knowing if the PSU is working OK unless you test it on another PC or with a voltmeter or PSU tester thing.
    When the bios chip comes is it just a matter of removing the old chip with the tool and sticking in the new one and booting up?
    Assuming it's a socketed chip and has been pre-programmed accordingly, yes.

Advertisement