Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a mortgage broker

Options
  • 22-05-2008 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Please recommend a good mortgage broker who will charge me little or no fee, and work hard for me to find the best mortgage deal possible, independently.

Please recommend someone you have personally used and found to be top class - not someone you heard on the radio/heard of through a friend of a friend etc. I want to get someone great first time round. No time to waste on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

Hi

I am using Irish Mortgage Corporation at the moment and found them friendly. If you want i can pm u his name but i don't get your idea of working hard. I am professional and my case was very simple. I think it matters for self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

m_stan wrote: »
    Please recommend a good mortgage broker who will charge me little or no fee, and work hard for me to find the best mortgage deal possible, independently.

Please recommend someone you have personally used and found to be top class - not someone you heard on the radio/heard of through a friend of a friend etc. I want to get someone great first time round. No time to waste on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Many, if not most, mortgage brokers do not charge a fee.

They receive their payment from the lender that advances you the loan, usually a percentage of the mortgage.

If a broker is charging a fee, they must tell you up front and they are likely to give you an estimate of their fee, which will often change if anything unusual turns up during application. A straightforward application should secure you the fee you were quoted, maybe lower if you ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I used these guys - http://www.hiney.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Rumour has it that Irish Mortgage Corporation are introducing a €500 fee for all applications dealt with as their remuneration from some lenders has decreased, as has the level of applications. This is their way of keeping money coming through the door....I believe many will follow suit.

When dealing with a broker, ask him/her what lenders they are authorised to deal with also, as some only deal with 1 or 2 mainly, and will have a tendancy to place business with those giving most commission. Also, if getting life cover through the broker for these loans, the same applies. Whilst the likes of Irish Mortgage Corporation have life insurance agencies, you will find that, officially or unofficially, a certain company will be used most of the time regardless of price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

HI, have a friend a mortgage broker in Clonee but I dont' think she'd want here number here so i'll PM it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You also have to realise that a broker will probably not be able to get you the best rate - especially if you are borrowing less that 75% of the value of the property. NIB have the lowest tracker rates for loans under 75% of the value of the house - and they don't deal through brokers - you have to go direct. Ulster don't go through brokers anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Ogham wrote: »
    You also have to realise that a broker will probably not be able to get you the best rate

That's what they are for!
    The good ones anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

egan007 wrote: »
    That's what they are for!
    The good ones anyway.....

Did you not read all of my post? :confused: Some lenders don't go through brokers - and some of those lenders have the lowest rates. You cannot rely on a broker to get you the lowest rate in all circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Ogham wrote: »
    Did you not read all of my post? :confused: Some lenders don't go through brokers - and some of those lenders have the lowest rates. You cannot rely on a broker to get you the lowest rate in all circumstances.

True.

Even though you use a broker, there is no harm in checking around yourself.

Advertisement