Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

• 22-05-2008 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Right,so here we are the 07/08 season is finished. We did the double,League and CL,have to be happy with that,if anyone isn't you have very high expectations:)

Going to be an interesting Summer to see who stays and who goes! For some reason I could see O'Shea and Saha leaving! Can't even predict wo might come in!

Can we top the season gone by with the treble next season?!

(and to those who are going to say this thread is too early,i'd like to point out how PHB started his thread in less time after last year's FA Cup Final,so if your going to start giving out go somewhere else!)

Anybody got predictions/transfer wishes for the season coming?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,439 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kmart6 wrote: »
    Right,so here we are the 07/08 season is finished. We did the double,League and CL,have to be happy with that,if anyone isn't you have very high expectations:)

Going to be an interesting Summer to see who stays and who goes! For some reason I could see O'Shea and Saha leaving! Can't even predict wo might come in!

Can we top the season gone by with the treble next season?!

(and to those who are going to say this thread is too early,i'd like to point out how PHB started his thread in less time after last year's FA Cup Final,so if your going to start giving out go somewhere else!)

Anybody got predictions/transfer wishes for the season coming?!

eh....bit soon imo, can we celebrate the current seasons achievements before opening a new thread! Monday would seem more suitable imo!

But if we are starting the thread now....

no chance O'Shea will leave, not with Pique being sold and Evans likely to be sold too. Saha is definitely gone though, and about time too. We need to bring someone in though - although I would like to see Campbel and Manucho given a chance...dunno really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

PHB shall lay the law on you for starting this :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Tauren wrote: »
    eh....bit soon imo, can we celebrate the current seasons achievements before opening a new thread! Monday would seem more suitable imo!

But if we are starting the thread now....

no chance O'Shea will leave, not with Pique being sold and Evans likely to be sold too. Saha is definitely gone though, and about time too. We need to bring someone in though - although I would like to see Campbel and Manucho given a chance...dunno really
    As I pointed out in the opening post this was thread was started a lot longer after this years CL final compared to last years's loss in the FA Cup final. Don't think it makes a difference really as this season is over,no matches left now,CL was the last one.

Back OT,I don't wanna see Pique leave,I think he's someone who could fit in nicely if either Rio or Vidic got injured! Wonder where Saha will end up,what team would take a chance on him after all the injuries in recent years?! But on the other hand Ferguson seems to love him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

No offense OP but PHB deserves to start the new thread. He held the fort together on the other thread almost single handedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

deise59 wrote: »
    No offense OP but PHB deserves to start the new thread. He held the fort together on the other thread almost single handedly.

what utter bollocks to be fair

no-one is entitled or not entitled to start a topic ffs :D:D

• Advertisement

Sorry,but in fairness anybody can start a thread here,previous posts on a thread don't affect a new one!

Look PHB can delete this thread himself if he wants to start his own one for the 08/09 seaon I don't mind,but it will make me wonder about the way boards is operated!

what a wonderful start to the thread :D

Unearthly wrote: »
    what utter bollocks to be fair

no-one is entitled or not entitled to start a topic ffs :D:D

I guess, I just thought it would be fair for him to kick us off into a new a season on boards. Twas just a suggestion :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Can I start a thread for every other team so?
    Deportivo?
    Levant etc.
    what is this?

Tauren wrote: »
    what a wonderful start to the thread :D
    Gone off topic already! Back OT....Am I right in thinking that Evra s out of contract after next season?! Shouldn't they try and wrap him up ASAP?!

• Advertisement

Moving on, I think it's fair to say a right back and stricker are the main priorities, but I don't think neither position are absolute necessities. I mean we managed fair enough this season! :D

Can I start a thread for every other team so?
    Deportivo?
    Levant etc.
    what is this?
    of course you can, doesn't mean anyone is going to post in it...

as for what this is.... its an attempt to start a new 'super thread' for the new season as there was for the season gone, and the one before that...like the liverpool, chelsea, arsenal and leeds threads.

finally, what the hell is your problem?

Which brings us back to Dani Alves and Luis Fabiano.

Moving on, I think it's fair to say a right back and stricker are the main priorities, but I don't think neither position are absolute necessities. I mean we managed fair enough this season! :D
    Wes had an amazing seaon it has to be said. I think Neville is finished in the sence of making 25-30 apperances a seaon,he could be a great back-up from now on. A striker would be great to see coming into the club,who though is the question?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ronaldo to Madrid :pac:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Xavi,I was actually waiting for you to pitch in with that!

Shur Ronaldinho to City as well ;)

Which brings us back to Dani Alves and Luis Fabiano.

not 100% on either.

Don't know if Alves is good enough defensively, but he is great going forward and would also provide another option on the wing.... probably off to Barca though.

As for Fabiano....another player i am not sure of. Never looks as good without Kanoute imo, and i don't know if he is a big game player. He has also had big problems settling in new areas during his career - England would be a massive change for him, don't know if he could do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Xavi,I was actually waiting for you to pitch in with that!

Shur Ronaldinho to City as well ;)

And don't forget Deco :D

Wes had an amazing seaon it has to be said. I think Neville is finished in the sence of making 25-30 apperances a seaon,he could be a great back-up from now on. A striker would be great to see coming into the club,who though is the question?!

Berbatov would be my number one (realistic) choice but I'd worry about his temperment. I mean they is already already moody enough when he's on the pitch, god knows what he'd be like on the bench when competing against Rooney, Tevez and the like.

Up until this season I'd always been a fan of buying players with Premiership experience, which Berb fits right into. But seeing how well players like Torres, Santa Cruz and Anderson have fitted into the league has swayed my mind a bit. Whats the deal with Huntalaar this year, is he up for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

With that injury of his? ;)

Would love to see Berbatov at Man Utd. I've been talking about it for months and hyping it up in my mind. Reckon Chelsea will be interested though which could be a problem.

• Advertisement

Berbatov would be my number one (realistic) choice but I'd worry about his temperment. I mean they is already already moody enough when he's on the pitch, god knows what he'd be like on the bench when competing against Rooney, Tevez and the like.

Up until this season I'd always been a fan of buying players with Premiership experience, which Berb fits right into. But seeing how well players like Torres, Santa Cruz and Anderson have fitted into the league has swayed my mind a bit. Whats the deal with Huntalaar this year, is he up for sale?

it looks like he'll be moving on, but wants to wait til his Euro Champs with Holland are over. I'd prefer to have dealings pretty much done before they even start.

Xavi6 wrote:
    And don't forget Deco

And Eto'o;)

Does Berbatov really fit in with United,I'd much prefer Tevez to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I want either Benzema or Eto'o at present. That is all. One or the other. If i could pick, because of mystery, I'd pick Benzema as he is younger and you don't know how good he can get.

However, I have a feeling it will be Huntellar. Or whatever his name is...

Is Eto'o really such a great player though? Granted im only going on reputation since I never watch La Liga but I wasnt really impressed with what I saw of him against us in the two semi final matches

yes he is an amazing player,

had a poor season lots of in fighting with ronaldinho and rijkard.

cheesedude wrote: »
    I want either Benzema or Eto'o at present. That is all. One or the other. If i could pick, because of mystery, I'd pick Benzema as he is younger and you don't know how good he can get.

However, I have a feeling it will be Huntellar. Or whatever his name is...
    Benzema signed an extension until 2013 didn't he?!

On a night of European glory, Cristiano Ronaldo gave Reds fans even more reason to celebrate when he quashed rumours that he could join Real Madrid this summer by pledging his future to United.

When asked by a TV reporter whether he would be leaving the club with which he has already achieved so much in his short career, Ronaldo gave the emphatic reply all Reds fans wanted to hear.

“No, no, no. I’m going to stay,” he said.

It was a fitting end to an emotional night for the Portuguese winger who opened the scoring in the 26th minute, but then missed his spot-kick in the dramatic penalty shoot-out.

“When I missed the penalty, I thought we were going to lose,” he said.

“I played well in the game and I scored a goal, but I missed the penalty. I thought it was going to be the worst day of my life.

“But the lads did their jobs. They believed they were going to score, and they scored. Penalties is a lottery, you never know who is going to win, but I think we deserve to win because we played better in the game.

“It means everything to me because we won both trophies, the Champions League and the League, so I feel very happy. It is one of the most happy days of my life. I feel very, very proud.”

http://www.manutd.com

Nice to put that to bed. What a great evening. :D

Have to say it woulda been hard to see him leaving after winning the league,but after winning the CL can't see it all,where would he go where he could do be guaranteed to do better next year than this year?!

Yeah I didn't think he'd leave and now that he's a European champion I'd be astonished if he left. I think he'll be here as long as Fergie is.

Shades of Ireland in 1990 with this pic. :)

GD7361879@Manchester-United's-g-3622.jpg

• Advertisement

I saw this on RedCafe and I think it's brilliant.

http://www.redcafe.net/f6/babes-ghosts-finally-laid-rest-203856/#post4654920

The Busby Babes were definitely looking on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Providing you keep hold of Ronaldo, you really only need three signings:

Right-back. Brown is solid, if unspectacular. Neville may never recover fitness and form. So, at the very least, backup/competition for Brown is needed. There doesn't seem to be many big-name right-backs left on the market. Alves apparently wants Barca, Lahm wants to stay at Bayern. Rafinha would be an option, but is he too lightweight?

Target man/Striker In Rooney and Tevez, Man Utd have no height up front. This was noticable again during the final. Hargreaves can ping crosses in all day, but Rooney and Tevez wont get on the end of them. With Saha presumably going, you'll need cover too. What's the story with Manucho? Is he going to stay in Greece or make the switch to Old Trafford? If not, the likes of Huntelaar or Berbatov would be ideal.

Central Defensive Cover If Pique is on his way, you'll need cover - especially if Brown is preferred at right-back. Perhaps someone from the youth system can step up. If not, Richard Dunne would be a nice option on the cheap. His team mate Richards would be a great buy, and would kill two positions with one stone - RB and CB.

Apart from that, there's not really a lot you can improve on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I would love to see United go all out and just buy one player during the summer.
    Messi

It would be an unbelievable signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

BFassassin wrote: »
    I would love to see United go all out and just buy one player during the summer.
    Messi

Not a hope but we can dream ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

no point in speculating about Messi even im afraid, isnt going to happen, dont think much of Alves defensively and unless we could mould him like evra i dont think he would be worth it, cant see him not going to Barca anyway to be honest

Fabiano has never overly impressed me, Kanoute makes a huge difference to him.

One thing about JT penalty last night, to me it looks like he slipped just after hitting the ball, so i dunno how much it affected the direction of the ball tbh, i could be wrong or just seeing what i want though!

Anyway, penos are a lottery and last night our number came up!

today my head hates me for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

We definatly need central midfield cover. This is the only area of the pitch were things are going to get a bit shakey. Scholes is not going to be as influential next season and Carrick IMHO is a liabilty. Carrick can be like a headless ckicken in midfield at times. Hopefully Karim Benzema comes in to bolster the attack and 2 central midfielders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I still dont get how people have CM as a problem area for us. Carrick has been one of best performers since Christmas, Hargreaves has done well over the last two months, Anderson will be a super player and I expect him to play alot next year, and we still have Scholes who can easily put in 90 mins against the lower teams and 60 mins agasint the bigger teams. Then we have Fletcher who can do a job there too.

RB needs dealing with Wes Brown has been solid this year but we want some one who offers more going forward. Basically a right footed Evra, does he exist and can we get him well who knows. Dont know who to pick here.

Striker - To go with Rooney/Tevez and Manucho. We survived this year we got lucky with neither of them being injured in the second half of the season for any long period. Benzema is my pick.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a one or two more youngish players come in like Anderson and Nani.

After that its a matter of replacements I think. With Pique, Evans, and Silvestre possible to leave. Saha is gone. Evra needs his contract sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

And Heargreaves will be great next season because he will have a full preseason and hopefully that helps his fitness and injury problems

Cristiano Ronaldo today refused to confirm whether he will still be a Manchester United player next season. After scoring a goal and missing a penalty in last night's dramatic Champions League win over Chelsea, the winger reignited speculation that he might be on the verge of joining Real Madrid. "I don't promise nothing, I don't promise nothing to my mum, I don't promise nothing to the supporters," he said. "I want to stay, but the future ... no one knows. I want to stay. We are going to see in the next two weeks, I don't say I make a decision."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,850 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I still dont get how people have CM as a problem area for us. Carrick has been one of best performers since Christmas.

He's been shocking the past 2 months though. March and Ferbruary was the hot time for him

I prefer to go with what I see rather than what the tabloids tell me

That says it all for me.

As for this thread, I dont care who starts it, why should that matter? I do agree about the timing though, technically with United players involved in Euro 2008 theres still football involving our players to be discussed this season.

A new physical striker and some cover on the wing and defence and Im a happy man! Id take Benzema and Benzema alone though if he were available (which he;s not!)

• Advertisement

Cristiano Ronaldo today refused to confirm whether he will still be a Manchester United player next season. After scoring a goal and missing a penalty in last night's dramatic Champions League win over Chelsea, the winger reignited speculation that he might be on the verge of joining Real Madrid. "I don't promise nothing, I don't promise nothing to my mum, I don't promise nothing to the supporters," he said. "I want to stay, but the future ... no one knows. I want to stay. We are going to see in the next two weeks, I don't say I make a decision."

He says he wants to stay, the club says he is going nowhere, and the manager says he would put a large bet on him staying. Cant see a problem to be honest.

I still dont get how people have CM as a problem area for us. Carrick has been one of best performers since Christmas, Hargreaves has done well over the last two months, Anderson will be a super player and I expect him to play alot next year, and we still have Scholes who can easily put in 90 mins against the lower teams and 60 mins agasint the bigger teams. Then we have Fletcher who can do a job there too.

The one thing about Carrick that drives me mad is for all the talk of him being an "intelligent passer" he's still liable to boot the ball away when under pressure and cheaply give away possession. he did it a few times last night along with viciously over hitting passes. Scholes is a different class and by far and away our best passer.

BFassassin wrote: »
    Messi

Would be great but last night again showed the need for a striker with some physical presence. if we had one of those we'd have run riot considering the amount of times we got good crosses in which were mopped up cos Tevez and Rooney werent tall enough.

Would be great but last night again showed the need for a striker with some physical presence. if we had one of those we'd have run riot considering the amount of times we got good crosses in which were mopped up cos Tevez and Rooney werent tall enough.

i wouldnt see messi as a huge physical threat.

he took growth hormones as a kid and suffers lots of injuries as a result.

Robinho was spotted in London so he's been linked to United,Arsenal and Spurs....maybe he just wanted to do some shopping:p

The one thing about Carrick that drives me mad is for all the talk of him being an "intelligent passer" he's still liable to boot the ball away when under pressure and cheaply give away possession. he did it a few times last night along with viciously over hitting passes. Scholes is a different class and by far and away our best passer.

Scholes is a different class no argument there. Though he cant play 90mins in the "big" games anymore where alot more energy is required just to find some space around the middle. Evident in the second half of the final when Ballack and Lamaprd started hounding them more.

However Carrick has still been immense since Christmas, yes his long range passing wasn't really there last night but it was against one of the best defences around with two smallish strikers who never got behind them. As for booting the ball away, when your short range options are limited you are better to concede possession in the opposition half rather then put a team mate in trouble on the half way line.

My point was I dont think we need to buy anyone for CM when RB and Strikers are the obvious things that need addressing first. I would be happy to see a CM come in, especially another young one if these areas are addressed as well.

Its not a problem area, but as a squad the club should always be looking to improve.

Thomas Ince has signed up with the Liverpool academy in the hope of becoming a real professional footballer like his dad. Now isn't that more interesting than a couple of teams staying up past midnight to play some match in a Moscow athletics stadium? I think we all know the answer to that one.

Robinho was spotted in London so he's been linked to United,Arsenal and Spurs....maybe he just wanted to do some shopping:p

He might be the first big signing for chelsea2.0 see this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055298568

Scholes is a different class no argument there. Though he cant play 90mins in the "big" games anymore where alot more energy is required just to find some space around the middle. Evident in the second half of the final when Ballack and Lamaprd started hounding them more.

However Carrick has still been immense since Christmas, yes his long range passing wasn't really there last night but it was against one of the best defences around with two smallish strikers who never got behind them. As for booting the ball away, when your short range options are limited you are better to concede possession in the opposition half rather then put a team mate in trouble on the half way line.

How come u never see Scholes booting the ball aimlessly and giving the ball away cheaply then? Im sorry but that booting away if nothing is on is wrong. U play it back to the defence and rebuild the attack. You dont just concede possession and hand the impetus to the opposition. Also, I agree that we dont need to sign anyone. What we need to do is improve what we have. IE get Carrick to realise that he needs to use the ball better.

Also as of last night, I have to say that Hargreaves reminds me so much of Beckham with his style of crossing. Also, what odds of Hargo being our number one penalty taker, that one last night was amazing any the times Ive seen him take them for England and Bayern he's been class.

How come u never see Scholes booting the ball aimlessly and giving the ball away cheaply then? Im sorry but that booting away if nothing is on is wrong. U play it back to the defence and rebuild the attack. You dont just concede possession and hand the impetus to the opposition. Also, I agree that we dont need to sign anyone. What we need to do is improve what we have. IE get Carrick to realise that he needs to use the ball better.

I already agreed Scholes is on a different planet. Unfortunately players like Scholes don’t come along to often. Carrick can improve his game, and hopefully he will but for me is a definite starter. We obviously have a difference in opinion here which I don’t think either of us will change from. I would be happy starting next year with the exact same CM we have now. With Anderson hopefully improving and Hargreaves getting his fitness right (hopefully) maybe Carrick will end up on the bench anyway.

Also as of last night, I have to say that Hargreaves reminds me so much of Beckham with his style of crossing. Also, what odds of Hargo being our number one penalty taker, that one last night was amazing any the times Ive seen him take them for England and Bayern he's been class.

He is a good crosser alre, but we dont have anyone to get on the end of them, and I dont want to see our style of play change back to what Beckham and Ruud had. He would make a good right back but I dont think he would be happy there. As for the penos I think Ronaldo will still be taking them, though Hargreaves are class.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement