Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

chelsea without a manager makes life alot easier for utd to get their targets

so this story about fergie wanting 3 players within 2 weeks could be true
    It would be the same as we did last summer.

the three mentioned targets just don't make sense to me.

Alves and Richards would be great signings individually (though i have concerns about Alves' defensive ability) but i don't get why we would sign both.

Rio and Vidic should not be split up, so that would mean the bought player has to play right back, or sit on the bench - I don't see how you could play Alves AND Richards enough given their talent and price tag.

Fabiano is a lot more understandable, but I still have question marks over his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,712 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Alves - Not good enough defensively to play behind Ronaldo

Richards - Overpriced due to being English, New manager due, City Look likely to lose their best defender soon, when was the last time United bought a player directly from City????

Fabiano - We have to be aiming higher than this fella.

What United need is a different option stiker and a young talented centre back. 30 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

sprinkles wrote: »
    I wish this Ronaldo to madrid story would ever go away. United have said the lad isn't leaving and Ronaldo himself said he wants to be at OT next year. Surely Fifa need to step in and do something.

If that rumoured deal is in anyway true they should also demand that madrid buy Messi and throw him in for good measure.

It's also part of Ronaldo's ego that he continually courts this. Imagine if every summer all the other players did this, deliberately stoked up the media, wouldn't commit, made ambiguous comments.

The more it goes on the more tempted I am for United to tell Ronaldo to go f**k himself. He is a player of absolutely undoubted talent. But his attitude in regards to this is dismal and surely must damage team spirit on some level if this Real rubbish goes on and on and on.

I would be genuinely saddened to see a player like Rooney or Evra leave. But Ronaldo? I'd be sorry to lose his talent and abilities. But the player himself? Not likely. He's a spoilt prick.

And that WILL count against him when we all look back on his career. He has none of the dignity that Kaka and Messi have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Agree with you there,don't think there's a need to sign the two of them!

quad_red wrote: »
    He's a spoilt prick.

And that WILL count against him when we all look back on his career. He has none of the dignity that Kaka and Messi have.

Wooh, hold on there - that is way over the top.

I wouldn't put it past Ferguson if he was pulling the strings on this one, to expose Madrid for what there are.

• Advertisement

He has none of the dignity that Kaka and Messi have.

What dignity is that?!

Boggles wrote: »
    Richards - Overpriced due to being English, New manager due, City Look likely to lose their best defender soon, when was the last time United bought a player directly from City????

Dead right. I dunno how some of these stories get oxygen. City will NEVER sell Richards to United. Full stop.
    What United need is a different option stiker and a young talented centre back. 30 million.

And a right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Johnny is staying according to slysports

Linky

Alves - Not good enough defensively to play behind Ronaldo

Fabiano - We have to be aiming higher than this fella.

Playing Devil's Advocate for the moment - Ronaldo is awesome down the left too, cutting in on to his right, and his link up play with Evra is fantastic. Hargreaves could be deployed right side with Alves, meaning Alves gets defensive back up and Hargreaves is also probably the best crosser of the ball at United. Would mean we could switch from 442 to 433(451) quite easily with Hargreaves moving more centrally. This would mean we could play Carrick, Hargreaves and either Scholes or Anderson in midfield too. Basically the CL final formation with a more adventurous right back.

Also, Alves could double as a right sided midfielder (i think he has turned out for Seville there on occasion) which gives us another option on the right side of midfield.

kmart6 wrote: »
    What dignity is that?!

In the run up to the Champions League final, with the stakes as high as they'll ever be, with so little separating the two finalists, Ronaldo courts more attention and stokes the press up by not being able to confirm his future blah blah blah.

Can you imagine Kaka or Messi doing such a thing?

• Advertisement

And a right back.

I don't see the need for a right back to be honest, Brown, Neville, Hargreaves., O'Shea. We are well covered there.

Not brilliant, possibly finished, decent option but wouldn't be my first choice, generally poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Pique is going to Barca.

Tauren wrote: »
    Playing Devil's Advocate for the moment - Ronaldo is awesome down the left too, cutting in on to his right, and his link up play with Evra is fantastic. Hargreaves could be deployed right side with Alves, meaning Alves gets defensive back up and Hargreaves is also probably the best crosser of the ball at United. Would mean we could switch from 442 to 433(451) quite easily with Hargreaves moving more centrally. This would mean we could play Carrick, Hargreaves and either Scholes or Anderson in midfield too. Basically the CL final formation with a more adventurous right back.

Also, Alves could double as a right sided midfielder (i think he has turned out for Seville there on occasion) which gives us another option on the right side of midfield.

Good point - but Brown proved in the final with Hargreaves ahead of him he is all the adventorous right back we need.

I mentioned it 6 months ago, but with Brown given time on the ball, he can produce a good cross. Of course I was pointed and laughed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I would like M Richards. I think 20m is too much though.

I dont think City would have any problem selling to Utd, especially considering the players that have played for both clubs, obviously they will want to keep him. He is afterall on the their best defenders and an England international but the meddling by the owner will unsettle their best players.

hunter164 wrote: »
    Pique is going to Barca.
    Not in the least bit surprised. This was his make or brake season at United in my opinion; if he was going to make it here he would have played in a lot more games. It was clear he wasn't going to get much of a chance, so he is right to move on.

In the run up to the Champions League final, with the stakes as high as they'll ever be, with so little separating the two finalists, Ronaldo courts more attention and stokes the press up by not being able to confirm his future blah blah blah.

Can you imagine Kaka or Messi doing such a thing?
    Shur what's that matter,did it affect the out come of the game?...no! Would it affect te players areound him?...no! If anything it just got the hopes of Madrid up!
    hunter164 wrote:
    Pique is going to Barca.

That's been none for a while...link?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Not in the least bit surprised. This was his make or brake season at United in my opinion; if he was going to make it here he would have played in a lot more games. It was clear he wasn't going to get much of a chance, so he is right to move on.

Agreed, I just dont think he has progressed the way we all thought he would. Evans is a better defender anyway, so its no big loss.

Not brilliant, possibly finished, decent option but wouldn't be my first choice, generally poor.

Brown - No defender had a better season than him this year.

Neville - Only 33, apartently looks after himself, next season will tell.

Hargreaves - Was solid when called on to play right back

O'Shea - good at cards. :D

It's just been said on Sky Sports News,check the United website.

• Advertisement

Torres, who has been linked with Chelsea, just recently said this:

"This is my team, my city and Anfield is my pitch. I can't tell you how good I feel about playing for Liverpool.

"It is so important to me that the fans think so highly of me. It is fantastic to see my name on the shirts of our fans.

"This was only my first season for Liverpool, and I can say without contradiction I want to play better here for many more yet."

Tell me why the f*ck our Ronaldo cant do the same. Sensational player, but he's really dissapointing me lately.

It's just been said on Sky Sports News,check the United website.
    Wouldn't kill you to find a link since you posted about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well the other 3 werent half bad but Brown was fantastic yeah.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Tell me why the f*ck our Ronaldo cant do the same. Sensational player, but he's really dissapointing me lately.

I'd be least surprised if Torres moved to Chelsea TBH.

Boggles wrote:

I'd say no defender had a more improved season than Brown! I'd have Vidic ahead of him as best defender!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Im pretty sure he's said "Im staying." and "I love the fans here and the people here" about 20,000 times. He just says he wants to play in Real someday aswell, that should not be news to anyone, but media blah blah blah.

Actually this is my last post on Ronaldo till Euro 2008, you can be dissappointed or dislike him or setup a Get Ronaldo Out website the way they did after WC2006... Fact is, its going to be DAMN HARD to dislike Ronaldo when he hits 50 goals for us next season.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    when he hits 50 goals for us next season.

Someone's getting a bit carried away!

I'd be least surprised if Torres moved to Chelsea TBH.

You'd be less surprised if Torres moved to Chelsea than if Ronaldo moved to Real?

Are you being serious? I think Torres has pretty much nailed his colours to the mast there. He doesn't want a move. Benitez won't want to sell him and what the yanks are up to, they're not stupid enough to sell a player who is the main reason Liverpool will be in the Champions League honey pot next year.

You'd be less surprised if Torres moved to Chelsea than if Ronaldo moved to Real?

Are you being serious? I think Torres has pretty much nailed his colours to the mast there. He doesn't want a move. Benitez won't want to sell him and what the yanks are up to, they're not stupid enough to sell a player who is the main reason Liverpool will be in the Champions League honey pot next year.

A Torres can be replaced and improved on easier than a Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't kill you to find a link since you posted about it!

I'm not a United fan so I done you a favour just telling you about it.

I'm not a United fan so I done you a favour just telling you about it.
    Not really when there's all ready been talk about the possibility of a move here,which had links,so if it's been completed links would be helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

A Torres can be replaced and improved on easier than a Ronaldo.

Torres has stated clearly that he is going nowhere. He is happy and settled.

Ronaldo says something different everyday and can't make any promises to Manchester or to his mother. United will do absolutely everything possible to keep him. But if he comes out and publicly says 'I want to go to Real Madrid. My heart is in Real blah blah blah' and he starts acting like a smacked arse if he doesn't get his way then I think it would leave United with no option but to cash in.

But Real will have to stump up big time. And offering those bunch of misfits plus the tea lady ain't gonna cut it.

Funnily enough, if Ronaldo has a poor tournament this summer, I'd say there'll be less pressure from him for a move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Is history repeating itself?

Man Utd win European Cup

Real are coveting their most famous player

Ferguson announces when he is going to step down.

On that last point Ferguson was foolish to announce the 3 year thing. All it takes is a run of bad results for that to be thrown back in his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Someone's getting a bit carried away!

Why?

I would hope Ronaldo can manage to get 8 more than he did last season... Especially should we go further in the FA and Carling cup as well as the 2 international cups.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo says something different everyday

No he doesn't he has said basically the same thing from the start, "I'm not promising anything."

Again, I would not be surprised if Ferguson was behind this.
    Funnily enough, if Ronaldo has a poor tournament this summer, I'd say there'll be less pressure from him for a move.

Football fans have poor memories, but 5 or 6 games this summer won't make a blind bit of difference to what Ronaldo has achieved.

Because look at RVN,the season after he scored 44 he only got 30! The chances of him haveing a better goal scoring season than this year are very slim,especially if there's a goal scoring striker brought in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

But Real will have to stump up big time. And offering those bunch of misfits plus the tea lady ain't gonna cut it.

By misfits and tea-ladies, do you mean the Ramos, Robinho and 50 million that's been quoted?

As good as Ronaldo is, if Man Utd got that deal, they'd have a better chance of retaining the CL next year. A back-four of Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic and Ramos is arguably the four best defenders in their positions in the entire world. Robinho has the talent and showed good form for Real this year, and between him, a more developed Nani & Anderson, and 50 million worth of new players, the squad would be in a much better position!

Just read that we are competing for 7 pieces of silverware next season! Anything less than 6 is failure :D

Community Shield
    European Super Cup
    World Club Championship
    Premier League
    Champions League
    FA Cup
    Carling Cup

Also, it was announced this morning that United Arab Emirates won the bid to host the World Club Championship. Good for us, its the closest of the 3 possible choices.

By misfits and tea-ladies, do you mean the Ramos, Robinho and 50 million that's been quoted?

Id take that in a heartbeat tbh.

• Advertisement

Because look at RVN,the season after he scored 44 he only got 30! The chances of him haveing a better goal scoring season than this year are very slim,especially if there's a goal scoring striker brought in!

He played 9 or 10 less games.

Robinho would not be physically strong enough for the prem league, small wingers the past couple of seasons are not getting a look in, e.g Lennon, SWP.

You are looking at it the wrong way, keep Robinho and the 50 million and just buy Ramos and Huntaleer.

There you have the best squad in the world right there.

Ronaldo was tiny when he signed for Man Utd. Robinho is much more bulked up than Ronaldo was.

Just read that we are competing for 7 pieces of silverware next season! Anything less than 6 is failure :D

Community Shield
    European Super Cup
    World Club Championship
    Premier League
    Champions League
    FA Cup
    Carling Cup

Also, it was announced this morning that United Arab Emirates won the bid to host the World Club Championship. Good for us, its the closest of the 3 possible choices.

I would settle for winning the Premiership and the Champions league again but winning the league to equal Liverpools record is definitely the priority.

I would also like to see the reserves have a good run in the Carling and FA cups.

The Community Shield, European Super Cup and World Club Championship mean **** all to me.

Robinho would not be physically strong enough for the prem league, small wingers the past couple of seasons are not getting a look in, e.g Lennon, SWP.

You are looking at it the wrong way, keep Robinho and the 50 million and just buy Ramos and Huntaleer.

There you have the best squad in the world right there.

Lennon is very good and will get better.

Chelsea have made a balls of SWP, he is still a very good player and would do really well in a Liverpool team.

+1 on the Hunter

Ronaldo was tiny when he signed for Man Utd. Robinho is much more bulked up than Ronaldo was.

Ronaldo was 19-20 and 6-1.

Robinho is 5-7 and 24.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Lennon is very good and will get better.

Chelsea have made a balls of SWP, he is still a very good player and would do really well in a Liverpool team.

+1 on the Hunter

Lennon very poor this season, was marginally better the year before.

How have Chelsea made of balls of SWP, if he was good enough he'd play.

The traditional wing back/full back is gone, the new breed are just as fast and skillful as the traditional small pacy/ skillful winger.

Ronaldo was 20 and 6-1.

Robinho is 5-7 and 24.

Height and strength are two different things, and height isnt an important attribute in a winger, regardless of the league.

When Ronaldo came to Man Utd, he wasn't very strong. It took him a good 18 months to bulk up his frame. Now, he's built like a brick ****house. As you say, he was 20 when he arrived, so we can agree that this was down to hours in the gym rather than natural development.

Robinho, like most players coming from La Liga, and just like Ronaldo, would need to spend some time building muscle in order to adapt to the Premiership.

To return to my original point: Manchester United would be better off with Sergio Ramos, Robinho and an extra 50 million in their transfer kitty than as they are now. Robinho may not have the impact that Ronaldo did this season, but their overall squad would be hugely improved. Ramos would sort out their problem position (RB) brilliantly, Robinho would be an able replacement for Ronaldo, and 50 million (plus whatever your current transfer budget is) could bring in, for example, Huntelaar, Werder Bremen's Diego and Valencia's Silva and/or Villa.

It's all a bit arbitrary though, as it's all just paper talk at this stage.

To return to my original point: Manchester United would be better off with Sergio Ramos, Robinho and an extra 50 million in their transfer kitty than as they are now. Robinho may not have the impact that Ronaldo did this season, but their overall squad would be hugely improved. Ramos would sort out their problem position (RB) brilliantly, Robinho would be an able replacement for Ronaldo,

Robinho would never be able to replace Ronaldo, even if he did bulk up and grow 3 inches.

Would it not be better if United added Ramos and a striker, instead of getting rid of one of there best proven players and buying what are ultimately gambles??

I agree that Robinho could never replace Ronaldo. Then again, he doesn't have to. An attack of Rooney, Tevez, Robinho, Nani, Anderson, Scholes plus whoever Man Utd can bring in over the summer is still ridiculously strong, and more than capable of repeating this season's successes. Overall, their squad would be better if the above deal were to happen - in my opinion.

Obviously, it would be better if United added Ramos and a striker, as well as hanging on to Ronaldo. It would also be better if they added Messi, Kaka and Essien - but neither situation is likely to happen.

For me, Sergio Ramos is one of the best defenders in the world - at RB or CB. As others have noted, he could be this generation's Maldini. I can't see Madrid wanting to sell him, and I cant particularly see him wanting to leave Madrid. As such, if Madrid were to offer him as a makeweight in a Ronaldo deal, I think United should bite their hand off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement