Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

For me, Sergio Ramos is one of the best defenders in the world - at RB or CB. As others have noted, he could be this generation's Maldini. I can't see Madrid wanting to sell him, and I cant particularly see him wanting to leave Madrid. As such, if Madrid were to offer him as a makeweight in a Ronaldo deal, I think United should bite their hand off.

United have the best defense and offense in the world.

What you are suggesting would/could not add to the defense significantly but would greatly reduce our attack, thus overall not improving the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

United have the best defense and offense in the world.

What you are suggesting would/could not add to the defense significantly but would greatly reduce our attack, thus overall not improving the team.

United certainly have one of the best defences in the world, and probably the best attack in the world, so we largely agree.

I guess our opinions differ on two points: the impact Ramos would have on the team, and the impact on Ronaldo not being on the team.

Right-back is United's weak link at the moment. Wes Brown had a solid season, but he was rarely spectacular. He contrasted greatly with Evra on the left-flank. Ramos is a cracking right-back. He is a real footballer, he links up with the midfield superbly and he loves to get forward and he's even scored a couple of 40-yard screamers when at Sevilla. He also offers cover/competition to Ferdinand and Vidic, which is something else that needs to be sorted out in the summer.

Ronaldo has had an amazing season. In truth, his last 18 months have been absolutely spectacular. However, Manchester United are not a one man team. Ronaldo may lead the scoring charts, but a huge slice of credit must go to the likes of Rooney, Tevez and Anderson - who provide the tackles, passes, movement and who drag the defence around to allow Ronaldo to score. So much of Man Utd's play goes through Ronaldo that it's inevitable he's going to be top scorer.

This isn't an attack on Ronaldo - he is arguably the best player in the world. However, such is the strength of Man Utd's forward options that while Ronaldo may be missed, the players are there to pick up the slack in terms of goals and assists.

There's also the question of consistency. Will Ronaldo maintain his form for another season? Will the European Championship take its toll? Manchester United have a lot of games next year - including a trip to the United Arab Emirates, and the European Super Cup. Will all these games burn him out? Will his media-baiting damage moral? Will he do his cruciates in a pre-season game?

I'm by no means writing Ronaldo off. He is a terrific player. However, he is by no means priceless - no player is - and the quoted deal would represent great value for Man Utd... in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

€40 million buy-out clause in Pique's contract according to SSN!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

kmart6 wrote: »

Isn't that because all Spanish teams have to put one on their players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Sounds crazy doesn't it. No mention of how much the have shelled out to get him though. What would be considered a decent price?

I guess our opinions differ on two points: the impact Ramos would have on the team, and the impact on Ronaldo not being on the team.

I think the impact of not having Ronaldo in the team would be pretty obvious, Ramos is a fantastic talent, but remember he been part of a defense that have conceded nearly a 100 goals in the last 2 seasons.

I know the full back has changed somewhat in the past few years, but I still prefer my backs defending instead of banging in the odd 40 yard screamer.
    Right-back is United's weak link at the moment. Wes Brown had a solid season, but he was rarely spectacular. He contrasted greatly with Evra on the left-flank. Ramos is a cracking right-back. He is a real footballer, he links up with the midfield superbly and he loves to get forward and he's even scored a couple of 40-yard screamers when at Sevilla. He also offers cover/competition to Ferdinand and Vidic, which is something else that needs to be sorted out in the summer.

What do you mean by spectacular?

Brown has played more games than Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand. Has more goals and assists, and has made less mistakes than Ferdinand argueably our most accomplished defender.

Brown when called upon to play cb this season has been a rock.

I never liked Brown as a player, but this season he sure proved me and many others wrong, Capello sees him as Englands first choice full back, all deserved.
    There's also the question of consistency. Will Ronaldo maintain his form for another season? Will the European Championship take its toll? Manchester United have a lot of games next year - including a trip to the United Arab Emirates, and the European Super Cup. Will all these games burn him out? Will his media-baiting damage moral? Will he do his cruciates in a pre-season game?

I'm by no means writing Ronaldo off. He is a terrific player. However, he is by no means priceless - no player is - and the quoted deal would represent great value for Man Utd... in my opinion.

You want to replace him with Robinho, someone who is proven inconsistant and has had his fair share of injuries.

There is a reason the likes of Messi, Robinho, Lennon, SWP will never emulate Ronaldo's prolific streak, there are not physically up for the job for the demands of modern day football, too small, therefore too injury prone.

Ronaldo of course could do his cruciate, a piano could also fall on him. But more likely he will keep doing what he has been doing the past few years and that is getting expotantially better.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

BBC's website was quoting a figure of £6M STG the other day if memory serves me correctly.

Smegball wrote: »
    Isn't that because all Spanish teams have to put one on their players?
    Have to say I didn't know!
    Sounds crazy doesn't it. No mention of how much the have shelled out to get him though. What would be considered a decent price?

Crazy is right! Suppose they must want him for the long haul! Woulda been hoping for atleast €10million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Archimedes wrote: »

Also, it was announced this morning that United Arab Emirates won the bid to host the World Club Championship. Good for us, its the closest of the 3 possible choices.

thats for 2009 and 2010. Japan beckons in December for us though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Come on, Boogles are you really saying that it would not improve the team if Brown was replaced with Ramos? Basically Ronaldo is not worth 50m + Robinho + Ramos. He's just not that good. No one is.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see him leave but if we're talking that kind of money/value then United would be stupid not to accept it.

The defense would be complete - currently it's not now with issues at RB.
    Granted our attacking lineup would be weaker with Ronaldo missing but with Robinho we have an able replacement and with Anderson and Nani coming on another year I really think it would only be a minor drop. Also you would have this years budget plus the extra cash to spend on a striker - or heaven knows MESSI!!!!

evad_lhorg wrote: »

Road trip!! :D:D:D

Found this on Redcafe lads.

TV interview with BBC after the match and celebrations on the pitch
    BBC TV presenter : Are you going to stay at Man United or are the rumours about you going to Real Madrid, are they true?
    CR : I stay.

Radio interview with BBC after the match and celebrations on the pitch but before the TV interview

BBC Radio interviewer: Winning the Champions league..(muttering...).
    CR : Of course, you know, this club has the opportunity to win everything. We show this season we are a great team, we are the best team in Europe, in the Premier league and next season we try to do the same again

Interviewer: Can you assure Manchester United supporters that you will be here next season?
    CR : Say again?

Interviewer: Can you assure...you know, can you promise Manchester United supporters that you will be with them next season?

CR (laughing): I never promise nothing. I dont promise nothing to my mum...I dont promise nothing to the supporters

Interviewer: But, but, when you say I want...
    CR (cutting off the interviewer): I want to stay, i want to stay, really...Its OK, i want to stay. But the future no one knows, but I want to stay.

Interviewer : But does there have to be a new contract or something like that?
    CR : I dont know nothing..Nobody speak with me...eh...We are going to see next two weeks, OK?

Interviewer: But when you say, "I will make a decision"....i mean...that means that?
    CR (cutting off the interviewer): I dont say " I will make a decision..I dont say...I dont say that...Its the the club take the decision... I dont know...I think...I dont know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Road trip!! :D:D:D

Found this on Redcafe lads.

TV interview with BBC after the match and celebrations on the pitch
    BBC TV presenter : Are you going to stay at Man United or are the rumours about you going to Real Madrid, are they true?
    CR : I stay.

Radio interview with BBC after the match and celebrations on the pitch but before the TV interview

BBC Radio interviewer: Winning the Champions league..(muttering...).
    CR : Of course, you know, this club has the opportunity to win everything. We show this season we are a great team, we are the best team in Europe, in the Premier league and next season we try to do the same again

Interviewer: Can you assure Manchester United supporters that you will be here next season?
    CR : Say again?

Interviewer: Can you assure...you know, can you promise Manchester United supporters that you will be with them next season?

CR (laughing): I never promise nothing. I dont promise nothing to my mum...I dont promise nothing to the supporters

Interviewer: But, but, when you say I want...
    CR (cutting off the interviewer): I want to stay, i want to stay, really...Its OK, i want to stay. But the future no one knows, but I want to stay.

Interviewer : But does there have to be a new contract or something like that?
    CR : I dont know nothing..Nobody speak with me...eh...We are going to see next two weeks, OK?

Interviewer: But when you say, "I will make a decision"....i mean...that means that?
    CR (cutting off the interviewer): I dont say " I will make a decision..I dont say...I dont say that...Its the the club take the decision... I dont know...I think...I dont know...

Says it all really! Can these silly rumours end now please:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

evad_lhorg wrote: »

I was talking about when we win it again next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Smegball wrote: »
    Says it all really! Can these silly rumours end now please:)

not while there is a Summer of newspapers to sell unfortunately. Ronaldo rumours sells papers so they will run and run no matter what he says.tedious beyond belief at this stage though. hopefully quieten down during euro 08. Also hopefully all the Utd lads get knocked out early to get a bit of a rest before next season. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

why do people keep saying Ronaldo was 20 when he came? are they having memory loss? he ws 18 ffs!!!! and his development was natural as well as time in the gym, he has worked hard but he has been blessed with very good physical attributes for the game also.

he wont be going anywhere this summer, and Robinho, for all the promise he had shown, is still showing in glimpses maybe, wouldnt be the right player to replace him imo.he could have been so good its not funny, but he isnt, and i think that may be down to off field stuff as well as some silly injuries.

Ramos would be great on the other hand but does anyone alctually believe Madrid would part with these players? its not their style really is it!

I dont think Ronaldo will score as much next season, but i hope his overall contribution increases. I would bet my life on him being in Manchester next season, simply because he has said he wants to stay, and Fergie wont sell him. so the papers can say what they want. just dont feed into it

And try to remember the lad is 23 and was signed when he was 18 for future debates when mentioning his age!i know its a small thing, but it irritates me to read "facts" that start off on a totally wrong premise!

• Advertisement

Was just about to post about that kryogen....bravo son!!

How can anyone forget the stoopid hairdo he had!!

Cristiano_Ronaldo_108351a.jpg

Advice, remember to turn safe search filter on next time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

that interview would mean quite a bit more if he wasnt being so cagey every time asked about it since imo.

although that said, i dont think he'll leave.

kryogen wrote: »
    why do people keep saying Ronaldo was 20 when he came? are they having memory loss? he ws 17 ffs!!!!

And try to remember the lad is 23 and was signed when he was 17 for future debates when mentioning his age!i know its a small thing, but it irritates me to read "facts" that start off on a totally wrong premise!

My maths isn't great but if he was born feb 85 and joined Aug 2003 that would make him 18 when he joined. I'm not generally picky but you seemed concerned that we get this one right :D

Sorry can't resist ;)

ugh, your right J, i hold my hands up to it. but its slightly more accurate then saying an 18 year old was 20 when he joined :o

dammit i hate when that happens!!:mad:

shhhh, gonna edit my post now, and pretend you didnt quote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Boggles wrote: »

I never liked Brown as a player, but this season he sure proved me and many others wrong, Capello sees him as Englands first choice full back, all deserved.

thats debatable

richards has been injured for a lot of the time and would probably be first choice there

• Advertisement

On form it should be Brown but that doesnt mean he owns the jersey. Another season like this seasons one would go a long way though. He really was superb. Although, and Im being serious, Hargreaves is excellent at RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hargreaves is excellent at RB.

He's ended up my favourite player. When fit he's just class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hargreaves and Anderson in the centre is the future.

sprinkles wrote: »
    Come on, Boogles are you really saying that it would not improve the team if Brown was replaced with Ramos? Basically Ronaldo is not worth 50m + Robinho + Ramos. He's just not that good. No one is.

No I never said that our team would not improve if Ramos replaced Brown.

No one knows what. What we do know is.

Brown has been a majority constant in the best defense in the world, which won the prem and champions league.

Ramos is 22 years of age and part of a defense that has leaked nearly 100 goals in 2 seasons.

I'm sure Ramos is probably a better footballer than Brown, but defensively not a patch. And to accommadate Ronaldo, we need a right full that will compensate.
    The defense would be complete - currently it's not now with issues at RB.

I'm I the only one that sees that Right back is our most covered position, I'd me more worried about left back if Evra gets injured and Silvestre is aparantley on his way.
    Granted our attacking lineup would be weaker with Ronaldo missing but with Robinho we have an able replacement

Robinho is a talented footballer but he is very very inconsistent.

Added to the fact that wingers in the prem league especially Ronaldo spend 80% of the game getting kicked, a 5foot 7 Brazillian won't come close to filling any sort of void left by Ronaldo.
    Also you would have this years budget plus the extra cash to spend on a striker - or heaven knows MESSI!!!!

We have the money by all accounts for a striker and to strengthen the defense.

Messi, not a hope in hell would United even consider him. He would cost what Ronaldo would and you would only get a third a season every season judging by his history. That would be a waste of money.

event wrote: »
    thats debatable

richards has been injured for a lot of the time and would probably be first choice there

How would he be seen as first choice?

He has been injured.

Brown has gone out there and done it, there is a huge gap between that and sitting in a physios room injured and having the percieved potential to do it.

BBC are giving the price for Pique at 5m. Not bad really considering he was going into the last year of his contract and could have left for nought at the end of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7422152.stm

Barcelona have re-signed Manchester United defender Gerard Pique on a four-year deal for a fee of around £5m, four years after he left the Nou Camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I dont see where the perceived problem is at right back, Brown was superb there this year and Heargreaves is more than capable of filling in there.

I dont see where the perceived problem is at right back, Brown was superb there this year and Heargreaves is more than capable of filling in there.

Neither do I, add into the mix Gary Neville who will be raring to go next season by all accounts, we are nearly as covered there as "4 right backs Chelsea". :D

personally i don't think Brown offers enough going forward, his contribution down the right throughout games is limited as he doesn't really have the pace or trickery to take a man on. I also don't think he is brilliant defensively. He is a very solid player, and did well this season, but of our 4 defenders he is the weakest (considering the other 3 are world class its not that bad) and is the most replacable.

As a team we have to be constantly moving forward, so we have to look at where we can improve the team or squad. Right back and up front are the two places we can improve most readily, then I would say it would be the wing (Not sure of Giggs, Nani or Park)

Tauren wrote: »
    personally i don't think Brown offers enough going forward, his contribution down the right throughout games is limited as he doesn't really have the pace or trickery to take a man on. I also don't think he is brilliant defensively. He is a very solid player, and did well this season, but of our 4 defenders he is the weakest (considering the other 3 are world class its not that bad) and is the most replacable.

I don't know the definition of World Class, but Brown must be near it this season.

Offensively he has achieved more than Vidic, Ferdinand & Evra, Defensively he has played more that 3 of them.

When he was clucking about a contract last year, I said he should go. Now I'm damn glad he didn't. You could spend 20-25-30 million on a right back in the summer and there is no guarantee you would get a fraction of what Brown as achieved this year.

We are hell bent in replacing a part of our team where we are strongest in.

As someone said yesterday Gill should give Evra a big fat contract, something I agree on. He needs to improve his final ball thou, he is great at going past people and has a great engine but some of his decsion making when he has been forward is border line daft, this is reflected on his showing of one assist.

Also your back 5 should be a constant, it has been the corner stone of many a successful team, the way forward is to add to the team, but add to the team so it makes it stronger, not because a player is the new "best" thing and can volley a ball from 40 yards.

We need a young Centre Back with patience and we need a striker, that is all.

• Advertisement

i disagree - but we know that - we have discussed it regularly. Personally I think Rio and Vidic being so got damn awesome is a big part of Brown not looking like a horrible liability most of the time. they cover for him and his positioning.

i disagree - but we know that - we have discussed it regularly. Personally I think Rio and Vidic being so got damn awesome is a big part of Brown not looking like a horrible liability most of the time. they cover for him and his positioning.

And Vice Versa. Defenders will be caught out, it is a fact. The 4 of them have been this season. But as a unit they have simply been the best.

Priority for me is a striker, Bolton, Reading, Pompey City x 2, etc games would testify to this.

United getting serious.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6610221

Manchester United has watched with growing irritation the comments attributed to Real Madrid over their alleged desire to sign Cristiano Ronaldo. The facts are:

The player is on a long-term contract and his registration is held by Manchester United
    The player is not for sale

The Club will have no alternative but to report Real Madrid to the world governing body, FIFA, if it continues to behave in this totally unacceptable fashion. These public attempts to unsettle the player are completely against the regulations and the Club will not tolerate them any longer.

In addition, the Club is certain that they are a distraction for the Portuguese national squad as they prepare for the European Championships. No-one should be in any doubt that Manchester United will do everything in its power to keep its best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Have Real Madrid said anything about Ronaldo?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Have Real Madrid said anything about Ronaldo?

are you kidding me?

practically ever player has had something to say.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3616992,00.html

Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster does not believe signing Cristiano Ronaldo would cause a problem for the club.

The Manchester United winger has been linked with a move to the Bernabeu but Schuster has previously played down the speculation.

He admits the 'media explosion' would be a big test for Ronaldo but feels the Portuguese superstar would be able to settle into the team.

Asked by Spanish newspaper AS if signing Ronaldo would cause problems in the team, Schuster replied: "Not at all.

"Here he'd line up alongside world champions like (Fabio) Cannavaro, important players like Raul, Guti, (Ruud) Van Nistelrooy, Pepe, (Gabriel) Heinze.

"In this Madrid side the kid wouldn't create any problems. I only see it causing a problem for him.

"The media explosion (would be a problem). For the fans this signing would be an amazing explosion similar to what happened here when (David) Beckham arrived.

"This isn't England, and that change will affect him. We have to be clever about this and sort this problem out for the kid."

Exceptional

While he believes that Ronaldo might struggle with the press following his time in England, Schuster accepts that playing in the Premier League has helped him to improve.

"He's a player who enjoys his football with the group," said Schuster. "The English way has been a perfect education for a player with such exceptional individual talent.

"There he has learned to enjoy his football as a complete professional. This means we would get a Cristiano who would arrive here with his lessons learned."

Real have expressed an interest in a number of other players including Arsenal midfidler Alexander Hleb but Schuster concedes that Ronaldo is the name at the top of his wish-list.

"Cristiano would help us in a lot of ways, without a doubt, but we can't stop with just him," explained Schuster.

"He'll be expensive and we'll have to pay a lot of money, but we need more players because he won't be enough.

"There are other players we have been looking at, but everything has slowed down a little due to all this Cristiano Ronaldo business, seeing as he is the big priority for the club."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

"The media explosion (would be a problem). For the fans this signing would be an amazing explosion similar to what happened here when (David) Beckham arrived.

"This isn't England, and that change will affect him. We have to be clever about this and sort this problem out for the kid."

"He'll be expensive and we'll have to pay a lot of money, but we need more players because he won't be enough.

"There are other players we have been looking at, but everything has slowed down a little due to all this Cristiano Ronaldo business, seeing as he is the big priority for the club."

Seen this earlier and it disgusted me. This is coming from a man who said he couldn't understand why Ferguson was annoyed with Real Madrid.
    I wish to god there was finally a statement from Ronaldo saying he is not going anywhere and end these crazy statements from Schuster. Real madrid are by far the worst club for this type of approach.

The way he talks there as well..."he will be" and "we will"...****in prat. I hope United do report them.

There have been statements from Ronaldo, saying he doesnt want to leave, he is happy in Manchester, it is his club etc. etc. he is asked about the future and he says noone knows, where is the confusion? ease up and look at the case on its facts, he said he wants to stay, the club have said he will be staying. end of

Madrid are prats. they deserve to be reprimanded for how they go about their business but it wont happen. Just ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Messi, not a hope in hell would United even consider him. He would cost what Ronaldo would and you would only get a third a season every season judging by his history. That would be a waste of money.
    My Messi comment was in jest.
    I'm I the only one that sees that Right back is our most covered position, I'd me more worried about left back if Evra gets injured and Silvestre is aparantley on his way.

Hargreaves is not a RB. Every time he got the ball in that position when pressured he conceeded a lot of ground. He's doesn't look comfortable there imo..

Then you have brown and Neville. I will agree that WB had a great season but he is the weak link in defense. There are better RB's out there that I would like to see at United with WB as cover.

Neville, if he comes back, will do a job but for how long? He's been out of the game over a year and will struggle next season. I can see it being the last for him. Then we've O'Shea.

I see the RB position as one of the weakest in terms of cover. I really can't see how you manage to think it's our strongest!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Doesnt Ronaldo hate RVN anyway.

I agree that Brown is the worst of the back 4 but he is good enough and I dont think spending 20mill on a player that might give a slight improvement is worth it. I used to think he was dreadfully negative and lacking going forward as well but this season Ive been really surprised at the ammount of times he gets on the end of things in the box and his delivery is better than Evras he just cant beat anyone, but who cares about that really when he is playing behind Ronnie.

Has it ever occured to anyone on this site that maybe Wes Brown, in having Ronaldo in front of him, is the perfect man for our right side? I mean seriously, we have enough attacking threat as it is, so it shouldnt be an issue, and yet Brown has more goals AND assists this season than Paddy. Paddy is a helluva lot more skillful and graceful to watch but give Brown some due credit and stop yer moanin FFS will ya. Best defence we've probably ever had and people are nitpicking. How many "Gary Neville at Maine Road" has Wes had this season? Off the top of my head I can think of none. Sure he USED to have his dozy moments but so did Rio, and both have got that out of their game. Itd be fierce unfair to drop him after the season he's had. If he goes back to dodgy city next season then by all means we should buy a new RB but cut the lad some damn slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Has it ever occured to anyone on this site that maybe Wes Brown, in having Ronaldo in front of him, is the perfect man for our right side? I mean seriously, we have enough attacking threat as it is, so it shouldnt be an issue, and yet Brown has more goals AND assists this season than Paddy. Paddy is a helluva lot more skillful and graceful to watch but give Brown some due credit and stop yer moanin FFS will ya. Best defence we've probably ever had and people are nitpicking. How many "Gary Neville at Maine Road" has Wes had this season? Off the top of my head I can think of none.

+1

I think he came on leaps and bounds this year and I think Alan Hansen even named him in his team of the season. It wouldn't worry me if he was first choice right-back next season as he has earned the right in my view. In terms of strengthening, I think up front is where we need to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Heres a thought...

Ronaldo contemplates going to Madrid now, he asks the man he describes as "like a father to him", Carlos Quieroz, about the club and Carlos says "Its ****." *Based on his experiences.

Then he goes, "ok, who do i know at the club?", Ruud Van Nistelrooy... Great.

And Neil, 1 moment that Brown had this season was when he Ball watched and let Fabregas free in the Emirates. But for a whole season thats very good. I agree with you, Brown first choice. It would be very harsh on him not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

If you look at the squad in detail you can see where needs strengthening.

GK: VDS, Foster and Kusczak - No need for any movement here, would expect Foster to seriously challange VDS next season.

RB: G Nev, Brown and Simpson - Think i read somewhere that Ferguson would start G Nev here next season which would be tough on Brown. Simpson looks to have potential and appears to love attacking unlike Brown. O Shea can cover here too.

CB: Vidic, Rio, Evans, Brown - Pique gone, Silvestre going and O Shea is not really considered here. Defo need cover here. Just wonder will Evans end up doing a Pique next summer

LB: Evra and O Shea - Silvestre going to Bordeaux I hear. Cover needed here too as if anything happens Evra, Sheasy aint up to it.

RM: Ronnie, Park, Eagles - We are lucky in that Ronnie doesnt really pick up injuries, so Park can provide temp cover here when Ronnie is rested. Eagles aint going to make it at this stage.

CM: Scholes, Carrick, Anderson, Hargreaves, Fletcher - ample talent and cover here.

LM: Giggs, Nani, Park - Giggs on wind down here so Nani will play more of a role here next season. Park floating provides good cover

CF: Rooney, Tevez, Saha, Manucho, Wellbeck, Dong (chortle) - I expect Saha to be booted out this season and with Manucho and Wellbeck being unproven in this league, I expect some activity here.

So in summary it would appear priorities are:

CB
    LB
    CF

Although Ferguson loves surprises so expect him to probably sign 4 GK and another 2 CM!

Reserves capable of stepping up to senior squad are probably just Possebon the brazilian.

He played 9 or 10 less games.
    Yeah and there is no guarentee that Ronaldo won't get injured next year and miss games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Ronaldo also knows Heinze at Madrid, who was his closest friend while he was in Manchester (may have changed since the arrival of Nani and Anderson though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Any chance that the two young brazilian brothers that are coming in August might be the two providing cover at right back and left back? I think we need players in both positions (don't believe Neville will make it back), cover for left back and a challenge for Wes at right back.

Also agree that we have no idea who Ferguson will be after? Especially with Queiroz seemingly having a large hand in talent spotting and transfers (Nani/Anderson/Manucho) all supposed to be Queiroz picks.

I think we can be sure that some kind of striking option will come in, wether it be someone young along the Anderson/Nani line or somebody established who knows.

The good thing is though that Ferguson likes to try get everything done quickly (I know Hargreaves and Tevez) dragged on but at least we knew they were confirmed targets and we had already wrapped up Nani and Anderson at that stage. So hopefully we will have a nice quick summer silly season and have everything out of the way beofore the Euro championship starts.

Secondly we will be subjected to more rumors then the normal this year as with England not making it to the Euro's then the papers need something to make them sell apart from the exclusive update on Rooneys/Beckhams foot.

I will agree that WB had a great season but he is the weak link in defense...There are better RB's out there that I would like to see at United with WB as cover.

The defense is as strong as its weakest link - no probs there then.

What right backs that you have your eye on will improve United significantly and will not cost the wrong side of 18-20 million?? Realistic targets, someone who we will knock 50+ games out of.

Yeah and there is no guarentee that Ronaldo won't get injured next year and miss games!

Of course not, but there is no guarantee that he will not go on and score 50 goals either, you can only really gauge the future by looking at the past.

IMO I would prefer to see his assists tally go up more than his goal tally, which it will if we get in the right type of striker to take some of the pressure, off himself, Rooney and Tevez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Has it ever occured to anyone on this site that maybe Wes Brown, in having Ronaldo in front of him, is the perfect man for our right side? I mean seriously, we have enough attacking threat as it is, so it shouldnt be an issue, and yet Brown has more goals AND assists this season than Paddy. Paddy is a helluva lot more skillful and graceful to watch but give Brown some due credit and stop yer moanin FFS will ya. Best defence we've probably ever had and people are nitpicking. How many "Gary Neville at Maine Road" has Wes had this season? Off the top of my head I can think of none. Sure he USED to have his dozy moments but so did Rio, and both have got that out of their game. Itd be fierce unfair to drop him after the season he's had. If he goes back to dodgy city next season then by all means we should buy a new RB but cut the lad some damn slack.

+2, I agree with you Neil 100%. I have always said if Brown got a good run in the team he prove doubters wrong and i think this season he has improved his game so much. I think like Rio he did lack that bit of concentration at times, but this we have probably the defence in England & Europe, plus i think Brown has played every League game for United this season.

I read as well that SAF has already said that Neville will be the first choice RB next season, but i honestly think that is very harsh, but will wait and see.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement