Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Boggles wrote: »

IMO I would prefer to see his assists tally go up more than his goal tally, which it will if we get in the right type of striker to take some of the pressure, off himself, Rooney and Tevez.

I think SAF knows he needs a striker for next season, we need another plan to mix it up front. I disappointmented with Rooneys performance last Wednesday night but if you all remember at the of season, he was acutally started playing well and that was because he a had proper pre-season until he go injured.

I think the pressure will be on next season for him to perform at a more consistent level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

How would he be seen as first choice?

He has been injured.

Brown has gone out there and done it, there is a huge gap between that and sitting in a physios room injured and having the percieved potential to do it.

i would say he could be seen as first choice as when he is fit, he is a lot more attacking than brown. Also, while he has had a good season for united, he hasnt been all that great for england under capello
    I don't know the definition of World Class, but Brown must be near it this season.

Offensively he has achieved more than Vidic, Ferdinand & Evra, Defensively he has played more that 3 of them.

he has played more than them as there isnt really another right back ready to step in.

and i would hardly compare him to centre back offensively, they dont get up teh pitch as much

and its not as if he has massively performed them offensively in the PL:

Vidic: 1 goal, 1 assist
    Rio: 2 goals, 1 assist
    Evra: 0 goals, 1 assist
    Brown: 1 goal, 2 assists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Have ye seen this:

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6610221

I assume that ye have and I'm very happy that they (Man U) have issued this warning. I cannot stand it when clubs use the media to unsettle a player's morale at a club in an attempt to sign him. It's time that this crap stopped. A contract means a contract and 'not for sale' means not for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Why can't you get a cup of tea at the Bridge? All the mugs are on the field and all the cups are at Old Trafford.

Frank Lampard and Joe Cole were allegedly spotted out in Red Square last night, having clearly had one or two drinks. They were reportedly singing: "We're forever blowing Doubles."

John Terry used to be Mister Chelsea now he's Mister penalty

I always knew Drogba was a tart, but now it turns out he's a slapper as well.

When John Terry's missus is not in the mood, she makes him wear a Chelsea shirt to bed; no chance of him scoring.

Good news and bad news
    Good news is Josep Fritzel is suffering the death penalty
    bad news is John Terry is taking it

Whats big and blue and goes beep, beep beep?
    The Chelsea open top bus reversing back into the garage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Browns positional sense ain't good enough, he's had a great season, take nothing away from it and was one of our best players last wed. However there is always room for improvement and RB in my opinion is a priority...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

United don't go around spouting off about it so publically like Real do though.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Of course not, but there is no guarantee that he will not go on and score 50 goals either, you can only really gauge the future by looking at the past.

IMO I would prefer to see his assists tally go up more than his goal tally, which it will if we get in the right type of striker to take some of the pressure, off himself, Rooney and Tevez.
    There's a lot more chance of him getting injured than there is of him ever scoring 50 though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kmart6 wrote: »
    There's a lot more chance of him getting injured than there is of him ever scoring 50 though!

given the standards he maintained for the majority of the season, he actually had a poor start to the season and it was a decent amount of games into the season before he got his first league goal. at least the 6th game, if he scored in his first game back from the suspension he picked up at pompey.

Though I do agree, i don't expect him to hit 50 in a season, i'd be delighted if he managed over 30 again.

• Advertisement

Every club does it while it still doesn't make it right Real are the only one who do it so publically and yet get away with it all the time.:rolleyes:

Tauren wrote: »
    given the standards he maintained for the majority of the season, he actually had a poor start to the season and it was a decent amount of games into the season before he got his first league goal. at least the 6th game, if he scored in his first game back from the suspension he picked up at pompey.

Though I do agree, i don't expect him to hit 50 in a season, i'd be delighted if he managed over 30 again.

In fairness we scored 1 goal in the first 3 games. We murdered Reading but couldnt unlock the door.

Its easy to forget just how bad a start to the season we had. Amazing to come back and win it.

I watched the Reading game in Ios and my God Ive never seen a bar full of people nearly celebrate so many times! Was very frustrating

Every club does it while it still doesn't make it right Real are the only one who do it so publically and yet get away with it all the time.:rolleyes:

Yea, now Rafa has been doing it for Barry, Fergie did it for Hargreaves, Wenger for Walcott etc etc.

But Real Madrid are slimy and the sheer number of stories about Ronaldo shows that they are way OTT. Nothing subtle about what theyre doing.

When has SAF ever come out and made stupid comments on a player still in contract or David Gill? I'm not saying united are saints but most clubs do it, but Real take the biscuit and they should be reported.

Don't be daft Ziggy, Real are notorious for this behaviour.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Browns positional sense ain't good enough, he's had a great season, take nothing away from it and was one of our best players last wed. However there is always room for improvement and RB in my opinion is a priority...

I disagree. Brown was a key figure in all of our best defensive performances of the season. Most notably Roma and the 2 Barcelona games where Vidic was on and got injured or just didnt play. He was mammoth in all 3. To drop a guy after having a season like that would send a negative message to the rest of the squad IMO. Leavin him in says "if u play well you'll be rewarded" and will motivate the guys to do their best.

I'm guessing from your signature your an EL fan which would explain a lot of things.*

*Not an attack on all EL fans just the minority who seem to have a bee in their bonnet.

What United do is slightly more moral.

UInited didnt release any stories initially about Saha or Hargo. What they did was put in a bid, which was rejected, then news of the bids were leaked by Bayern and Fulham. Then once it was in the open it was easier for the media to be used to our advantage.

Rooney wasnt unsettled by United at all. Please get your facts in order. NEWCASTLE put a bid in for him, which was the first anyone heard of him possibly leaving, then United came in and outbid Newcastle. Very little of it was done through the media. Rooney said in his book he left cos of Moyes (which later caused Moyes to sue him for libel)

• Advertisement

As I've pointed a number of times. I don't deny United don't do it but they have NEVER done it to the level that Real do.

No. United dont relaease 1 or 2 stories a day about a player they want. If the club reject their offer they move on (Di Canio, Hargreaves the first time, Essien etc)

U would never hear Gill, Fergie or anyone else at United talking about a player they havent signed the way Real have about Ronaldo.

United said they wont sell and Real came out with "slavery is over" which is basically saying "f*ck what u think, we're takin him anyway"

We had permission to speak to the players we have 'toured' round our training ground - so there is nothing wrong there.

Come off it your just wumming now.

• Advertisement

Every single clubs tabs up players, but Real seem to release statements and interviews trying to unsettle players.

Id suggest you get your facts right and stop trolling.

Wumming=Trolling

Ziggy is right - ALL tapping up is wrong, cause it is against the rules, but i have no doubt every club does it. I have no doubt Ronaldo's agent has heard from Inter, Barca etc. However, publically announcing you want a player, and that they WILL sign for you is an entirely different ball-park imo. Real Madrid have succeeded in turning some of Ronaldo's own supporters against him - which is what they want.

• Advertisement

So, with all this talk of positions we think need to be strengthened and which don't, who do people think we should be going for?

I'd love Richards and, obviously, Benzema. That would sort out right back, centre back and centre forward. I'd kinda like a left back too, a young lad, but then I suppose Evans can play there, and we'd have lads from the reserves too.

I'd also say neither player is a real possibility - Richards crossing the city...nah. Benzema, staying at Lyon or off to Spain.

Not sure who we could go for as backups.

Not convinced about Fabianho, but he has a decent record and would probably provide a pretty good rotational front line policy. David Villa has been making noises about moving on, and that he likes us (along with every other big team looking for a striker...) and while I think he is a great player, I'm not sure if he is different enough to what we have. Fergie has implied he wants a big lad up front. Huntelar is obviously another option, but he has said he won't be looking to move on until after the Euro Champs are done which means waiting til July.

For defensive backups... no idea at all.

On Sky Sports News about Reals response to the United statement... should be interesting.

I am guessing: "We have never done anything wrong, we just think Ronaldo would be a great signing, we'd love to have him and we'll pay him 200k per week. Whats the problem?"

EDIT:

And their response:

"We haven't done, nor will we do anything against the wishes of a club that we consider a friend like Manchester United.

Our relationship with Manchester is magnificent and we will not do anything that will violate the will of a team, just as we would not like that done to us

We know Manchester doesn't want to sell and we have nothing to say. It's a problem between the player and his team"

Translated as.... "Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies stoke them fires"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I'd kinda like a left back too, a young lad, but then I suppose Evans can play there, and we'd have lads from the reserves too.

Are you not forgetting the identical brazillian full-back twins.

Rafael and Fabio.

On Sky Sports News about Reals response to the United statement... should be interesting.

I am guessing: "We have never done anything wrong, we just think Ronaldo would be a great signing, we'd love to have him and we'll pay him 200k per week. Whats the problem?"

EDIT:

And their response:

"We haven't done, nor will we do anything against the wishes of a club that we consider a friend like Manchester United.

Our relationship with Manchester is magnificent and we will not do anything that will violate the will of a team, just as we would not like that done to us

We know Manchester doesn't want to sell and we have nothing to say. It's a problem between the player and his team"

Translated as.... "Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies stoke them fires"

Wow, even their defence statement seeks to unsettle Ronaldo. Id love to talk to their PR guy, he's very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

The defense is as strong as its weakest link - no probs there then.

What right backs that you have your eye on will improve United significantly and will not cost the wrong side of 18-20 million?? Realistic targets, someone who we will knock 50+ games out of.
    Million dollar question. I reckon Fergie will pull another Vidic on us :)

I really do think we'll see a RB coming in this summer though. And hopefully a striker. I really don't see were else he'll strengthen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It's a problem between the player and his team

In fairness Tauren, there is obviously something of a problem with Ronaldo refusing to thoroughly pledge his immediate future to Utd and being so strange when answering the questions regarding his future.

maybe he is just angling for a better contract, maybe he is trying to orchestrate a move, but my reading of ronaldos statements is;

"i am happy at Utd, i would be happy to stay for a couple more years, but its always been my dream to play in Spain, if they wanna come and get me now, go for it"

as opposed to very simply saying.....

"i am happy at utd, one day i would like to play in Spain, but not yet, my immediate future is with Utd and i will definately be here next season"

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness Tauren, there is obviously something of a problem with Ronaldo refusing to thoroughly pledge his immediate future to Utd and being so strange when answering the questions regarding his future.

maybe he is just angling for a better contract, maybe he is trying to orchestrate a move, but my reading of ronaldos statements is;

"i am happy at Utd, i would be happy to stay for a couple more years, but its always been my dream to play in Spain, if they wanna come and get me now, go for it"

as opposed to very simply saying.....

"i am happy at utd, one day i would like to play in Spain, but not yet, my immediate future is with Utd and i will definately be here next season"

I agree, his non commital answers have pizzed me off recently. However that line in Madrids statement is nasty and frankly, out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Em, Robinho, Ramos, Diarra and 50 million... What the f*ck is going through Madrids mind... If they sell Ramos, poof, this current era of the team will collapse... I rate that kid so so so so highly.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Em, Robinho, Ramos, Diarra and 50 million... What the f*ck is going through Madrids mind... If they sell Ramos, poof, this current era of the team will collapse... I rate that kid so so so so highly.

So do I, he;d fit right into the United style of play too, the more I think about it the more Id actually take that deal in a heartbeat. Though they can keep Diarra and give us Casillas :pac::pac:

Stupido Madrid!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Exactly, Madrid should really be focusing on defensive minded players.

They should be throwing some of their crazy millions after the likes of Vidic.

From what I have seen they have no real problems scoring goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Exactly, Madrid should really be focusing on defensive minded players.

They should be throwing some of their crazy millions after the likes of Vidic.

From what I have seen they have no real problems scoring goals.

Dead right sir... Dead right... Robinho, Robben, Higuain, Raul, RVN, Sneijder, Guti, Baptista, and now De La Red coming back... Even if they got Ronaldo, they'd still probably buy one more attack minded player like Villa...

Sher they signed the promising CB Garay from Racing for 10million, and the first thing they did was loan him back to the club for a year! Lets hope they get a CB crisis next season... :D

Sher they signed the promising CB Garay from Racing for 10million, and the first thing they did was loan him back to the club for a year! Lets hope they get relegated next season... :D

Fixed for you!

Something a bit different to the Ronaldo speculation. Not gonna really be cause for much chat but its interesting for any United fan who's a bit more than casual.

I have had this linked on my bebo for a long time now, somehow never pointed out to you United boardsies before, this is the organisation responsible for organising the mosaics and all the banners flags in the Stretty. Personally I though organising a mosaic for the Champions League Final was a wonderful achievement and they have done some great work in this regard. Anyway, here's the link, check it out.

http://www.stretfordendflags.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Rafael and Fabio.

yeah the identical brazillian full-back twins.

Does no-one think they have a chance of becoming fringe players next year?:confused:

Robinho, Ramos, Diarra and 50 million

Wasn't that the back of the Mirror?!....say's it all!

Anyone else notice the rating on this thread?!

Me thinks jealousy is afoot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wasn't that the back of the Mirror?!....say's it all!

It originated in Marca, the Spanish newspaper with close ties to Madrid. According to them, that is the deal that Manchester United would demand for Ronaldo, as opposed to what Madrid were offering.

you mean the two kids we signed 3 years ago, that have never played competitive club football because we banned them from it, and who have never played in Europe, let alone England? Yep, i'm banking on them to settle straight in and be ready to go.

• Advertisement

No transfer gossip for us this morning, so far anyway, we'll have to make do with another Ronaldo story...:D

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=95190

Cristiano Ronaldo won't skip out on Manchester United this summer, it has been revealed.

It is understood that Ronaldo still feels he owes United manager Sir Alex Ferguson for the education he has received at Old Trafford and, in particular, for the manner in which Ferguson helped him recover from his own personal nadir of the 2006 World Cup.

Ronaldo returned to England as a hate figure after playing a part in Wayne Rooney's sending-off in the Portugal versus England quarterfinal and was on the point of leaving until Ferguson talked him round.

"Cristiano does feel that he owes Sir Alex very much," said a source close to the player yesterday. "He loves the club but in particular he feels he owes so much to the manager."

Damn freaking straight you do, Ronnie!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ ___________________ _ _ _ _ _ _

We do also get a story regarding Evra's contract talks.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=95147

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is set for contract talks with Patrice Evra.

Ferguson and chief executive David Gill will concentrate their efforts on persuading Evra to sign a new contract when they meet the French defender's representatives tomorrow, says the Daily Mail.

Evra has so far been unimpressed by the £50,000-a-week deal offered him by United and remains adamant he will allow the last year of his contract to run down rather than compromise significantly.

With Italian clubs AC Milan and Juventus both interested in signing the left-back, United know they face a struggle to hold on to him if they cannot reach some kind of agreement this week.

Hopefully, as has been said many times, we can get this sorted quickly. I'd have thought he'd be offered the same basic deal as Vidic, which is about 70k as far as I know. Get it sorted Gill!:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement