Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Tauren wrote: »
    you mean the two kids we signed 3 years ago, that have never played competitive club football because we banned them from it, and who have never played in Europe, let alone England? Yep, i'm banking on them to settle straight in and be ready to go.
    Wow, you had me thinking I missed a few years there Tauren....
    Rafael's Profile

Football career

A right-back, he was awarded a three-year contract with Fluminense in July 2006, a maximum length for players under 18.

Without playing in the first team, he signed for Manchester United in February 2007 from Fluminense. He will remain at Fluminense until he turns 18, due to FIFA restricted international transfer for U18, when he and his twin brother, Fábio, will move to Manchester. It was reported January 17th that Rafael and his brother Fábio will make a move to Manchester United with the rest of their family. This is the result of a series of trips taken every three months to Old Trafford. However, neither will be able to legally play until reaching the age of 18 this summer.
    Published: 28 Feb 2007

MANCHESTER UNITED have signed identical Brazilian twins as their future full-backs.

Fabio and Rafael Silva put pen to paper on pre-contract agreements from Brazilian side Fluminese.

The youth internationals will join up with United on July 9, when they turn 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Both of those are inaccurate, but so am I. We signed them 2 years ago, May 2006.

http://www.fansfc.com/manchesterunitedfootballclub/news.asp?newsid=152551

15:47 10/05/2006

Manchester United Football Club have raided the Brazilian market.

The Reds have sealed a deal for 15-year-old twins Rafael and Fabio from Fluminense, after the pair spent time in Manchester speaking Portuguese with United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, according to Sky.

"He (Ronaldo) said to go there, that it would be good for us," Rafael, a right wing-back, told Terra. "We met him in Manchester and he responded by giving us advice."

Both players will arrive at Old Trafford in 2008 after starring for the Brazilian Under-15’s during a youth tournament in Hong King, and left wing-back Fabio cannot wait.

"Until then, we will wait to participate in the South American and World Under 17 Championships with Brazil," Fabio said. "We are very motivated. It is a great possibility to give a better life for our family."

Saw that one too but the other 2 tallied. There's a surprising lack of info on the 2 of them.

sprinkles wrote: »
    Saw that one too but the other 2 tallied. There's a surprising lack of info on the 2 of them.

i found a load of other articles, one from the MEN, from around the same time, so they were certainly signed around May 10th.

As for info regarding the two lads - they are two guys from Brazil that have hardly kicked a competitive football in 2 years; where were the stories going to build up from? They can't really do anything news-worthy with regards football cause they have barely had the chance to play in games people would report on. Unless we see reporters compiling match reports based on training games.

I'm worried the club may have stunted their development by not allowing them to play for 2 years, it is something that i don't understand, were United that worried about them getting injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm worried the club may have stunted their development by not allowing them to play for 2 years, it is something that i don't understand, were United that worried about them getting injured?

same story with Pato iirc. while i don't think it was as long as two years he didn't play for ages before he turned 18...

• Advertisement

I thought he was playing for Sao Paolo until he moved to Milan. I do think he moved to Milan last summer, but wasn't available to play until January, or something like that.

from the source I quoted above:

Without playing in the first team, he signed for Manchester United in February 2007 from Fluminense. He will remain at Fluminense until he turns 18, due to FIFA restricted international transfer for U18, when he and his twin brother, Fábio, will move to Manchester.

Not sure how accurate it is but it would make sense. So maybe he's getting ocmpetitive football in Brazil - albeit probably for their reserve team.

sprinkles wrote: »
    from the source I quoted above:

Without playing in the first team, he signed for Manchester United in February 2007 from Fluminense. He will remain at Fluminense until he turns 18, due to FIFA restricted international transfer for U18, when he and his twin brother, Fábio, will move to Manchester.

Not sure how accurate it is but it would make sense. So maybe he's getting ocmpetitive football in Brazil - albeit probably for their reserve team.
    I probably won't be able to find it now, but i remember reading quotes from the two lads saying that they had not been able to play for the first team because of a stipulation in the deal with United.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3054547,00.html

Brazilian twins Fabio and Rafael Silva arrive in England on Monday to begin their careers with Manchester United - but they cannot play for The Red Devils until the summer.

United spotted the talented Fluminese pair - both full-backs - playing in a youth tournament in Hong Kong two-years ago.

After a trial in 2006, Sir Alex Ferguson wasted little time in landing the duo - but he has to wait to get his hands on the highly-rated players.

Now after two years jetting to England for brief stints - the 17-year-old pair have been given the green-light to complete their switch to United and they will arrive on Monday with their famiy.

"After eight visits to Manchester United, we will travel to live in England," said Rafael who is a right-back, whilst his brother Fabio is a left-back.

"In the last two years we went there about every three months, we stayed for ten days and then returned to Fluminese.

"This time we will have the whole family, father, mother and my older brother's wife with him."

Rafael revealed that the duo cannot wait to move to Europe and they are buoyed by the recent impact of Alexandre Pato at Milan - who scored on his debut last weekend.

"We know there are Brazilians of our age doing well, Anderson, who is our friend, at Manchester United and we talk to [Liverpool's] Lucas who used to be at Gremio by MSN," he continued.

"But the greatest example for us is Alexandre Pato, who knows perhaps we can follow the same path as The Duck?"

Neither player has been able to feature for Fluminese's first-team as United have been keen for them to look after themselves.

"The club feared that we could be hurt," said Fabio.

"We would have preferred to play, but there was also the fear that the fans would have wanted us to stay.

"We have just continued to train - but it is a pity we have not had the chance to play in Rio as a professional."

The duo will not officially be able to play for United until they turn 18 in July but Fabio - Brazil's Under-17 captain - has some hope that he could yet play in the Olympics.

"I will of only been in training for six months, without a game, at Manchester United and at the most I will have played a few friendlies," he said.

"This will probably remove me from the Brazilian team, although Dunga has praised me and Jorginho [Dunga's assistant] has already talked to me about the Olympics."

Story is no longer on F365 - i got the article (and link) from another site I use.

Fabio must be pretty good, if Brazil are keen on taking him to the Olympics without any first team exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So they havn't played a match between them in how long? That can't be good for their development?

• Advertisement

Tauren, that reflects what i've read elsewhere. the deal wasn't completed until January, so any absence from competitive football prior to that was voluntary. So in a sense they've ended up with the same 6 months of training that Pato had. I wouldn't be too concerned, the club clearly know what they were doing when bringing them over.

Tauren, that reflects what i've read elsewhere. the deal wasn't completed until January, so any absence from competitive football prior to that was voluntary. So in a sense they've ended up with the same 6 months of training that Pato had. I wouldn't be too concerned, the club clearly know what they were doing when bringing them over.
    'Voluntary' or not, it can't be all that good for them.

On another note, does anyone know, for certain, if United are keeping the same home kit for next season?

meh, plenty of youngsters have had their careers cut short by being overplayed. and i think Anderson breaking a leg would have been very much on the forefront of their thinking here, United had been tracking him for ages. it's not like they haven't played a game. from what i can see they've still been involved in the Brazilian youth teams and a few United youth tournaments apparently... they just never played for the Fluminese professional team.

nothing to be lost by bringing them over anyway. if they are good enough there is still plenty of time for them to develop. i don't think they have even turned 18 yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

On another note, does anyone know, for certain, if United are keeping the same home kit for next season?

Dont they have to keep it for two years unless the get special permission from the FA/Premierleague which there isn't a reason for next year.

As far as I know the home kit is staying the same but the away kit will be changing.

Think I'm going to go retro and get this one.

found a site selling longsleve versions at a very good price, with names. gonna get an Anderson one. :D

I'd love to go retro, but i want to get either the 94 one, the one with the red/black/white collar and the faded pic of OT or the 95/96 one (the on with the kinda diamond pattern on the sleves and the round crest) can't find them anywhere. I had my eye on one on ebay a few weeks back but missed out when the bidding went to 20GBP. The arse that won decided not to buy, so it came back online. I forgot about it on the day the auction ended and it went for £2!! was fumming!

Dont they have to keep it for two years unless the get special permission from the FA/Premierleague which there isn't a reason for next year.

As far as I know the home kit is staying the same but the away kit will be changing.

Think I'm going to go retro and get this one.

Bring back the yellow and Green! and make it the home kit like in the days of old. best jersey ever.

found a site selling longsleve versions at a very good price, with names. gonna get an Anderson one. :D

I'd love to go retro, but i want to get either the 94 one, the one with the red/black/white collar and the faded pic of OT or the 95/96 one (the on with the kinda diamond pattern on the sleves and the round crest) can't find them anywhere. I had my eye on one on ebay a few weeks back but missed out when the bidding went to 20GBP. The arse that won decided not to buy, so it came back online. I forgot about it on the day the auction ended and it went for £2!! was fumming!

Hmm might keep an eye on ebay so. Sure its something to do in work. The one I linked to is the 94 one (remade by nike), would love to get the one with faded old trafford on it too.

...i may have to kill you if you 'nick' that jersey on me!

TRANSFER GOSSIP!!

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorksport/display.var.2300827.0.man_u_eye_city_star.php

Manchester United have lined up York City teenager Adam Boyes as a possible transfer target.

Boyes, 17, has just completed a two-week trial with the Old Trafford giants and is also believed to be interesting fellow Premier League big guns Middlesbrough and Tottenham.

The Lingdale-based forward scored for the Red Devils in a youth tournament that also featured hosts Spurs, Boro, Hibernian and a touring Russian side.

United are yet to follow up their interest with an approach for the City striker, but KitKat Crescent chief Colin Walker confirmed that Boyes had visited the Premier League champions for two weeks' work experience.

Walker said: "There were a couple of times last season when Manchester United scouts watched our youth team as well as the other sides we were playing. In the end, Adam Boyes was invited on a week's experience at Manchester United.

"That turned into two weeks and the second was a tournament which he asked my permission to play in and I gave that. The feedback and vibes have all been very positive but, as it stands, Adam is still a York City player and it's been a fantastic experience for the boy. It's all about an experience for the boy at the moment and hopefully he will still be in my squad next season because you can't buy the experience he's just had."
    advertisement

Boyes is yet to make his full City debut but made four substitute appearances last season with his debut coming in March's FA Trophy semi-final, second leg tie with Torquay.

He also scored a hat-trick for the reserves against Barnsley last month and Walker feels United's tracking of Boyes illustrates the importance of maintaining the club's existing youth structure, with Sir Alex Ferguson having already signed Minstermites Jonathan Greening and Nick Culkin in the past.

An appeal was launched last month by first-team coach driver Colin Swann to meet a £10,000 shortfall in funding and guarantee the continuation of under-18 football at KitKat Crescent next season.

Walker has recruited donations towards that target himself and said: "I set Neil Redfearn on as youth team coach because, like Eric Winstanley and myself, he is a massive believer in youth development and our youth system.

"We saw its success last season in the FA Youth Cup run, some consistent performances in the reserves, the appearances of Andy McWilliams, Liam Shepherd and Adam Boyes in the first team and now the fact that Manchester United are showing an interest in the policy, which they have always kept an eye on."

Some more news...

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1022389/Exclusive-Fletcher-duty-despite-Uniteds-cash-claims-SFA.html?ITO=1490

Darren Fletcher reported for duty with Scotland yesterday - despite Manchester United making two cash claims against the SFA following injuries to the midfielder.

The Old Trafford giants lodged a first compensation bill with the Hampden hierarchy's insurers after the 24-yearold was injured in Paris back in September.

And they posted a second significant claim when Fletcher damaged his knee against Croatia in George Burley's first match in charge - an incident that left Sir Alex Ferguson furious.

The United claims will reach around £400,000 for the two spells of inactivity suffered by Fletcher over the course of last season as they demanded his wages be paid while in rehabilitation.

But Ferguson's spat with Burley - he complained that the United star played the whole game against Croatia before suffering a last-minute injury - appears to have been papered over.

The SFA pay heavy insurance premiums to cover players while on duty for the national team and the more claims are made, the higher the bill for the Hampden hierarchy.

"We made a claim to the SFA to cover Darren Fletcher's wages when he was injured in the Euro 2008 qualifying tie against France in Paris earlier in the season," said a United spokesman.

"Darren was hurt again in the friendly against Croatia and we made a second compensation claim to cover the wages during his absence."

Sir Alex hit out forcibly after that Hampden fixture in March, claiming that international friendlies were a waste of time for all concerned.

With Fletcher believed to earn in excess of £20,000 per week, the bill to the SFA's insurers for the two injuries could run to around £400,000 following the player's extended absence from the Manchester United team.

I can understand why United would do something like this, anything to help pay the interest(!!) but i'm not a fan of these things - I can't help but feel actions like this could result in the death of international football.

I can understand why United would do something like this, anything to help pay the interest(!!) but i'm not a fan of these things - I can't help but feel actions like this could result in the death of international football.

Bad for international football yes. But you can see why clubs are doing it. I doubt its just Utd. They first of all pay for these players in transfer fees, or youth development, they then pay there wages, they then pay for the medical expenses when they are injuried. All the time though they then have to hand over their "employees" to what is effectively another "company" who make money off them while the clubs get didly squat apart from "employees" returning unfit to work.

Its about time football associations start taking some responsability for the players they are using.

• Advertisement

Bad for international football yes. But you can see why clubs are doing it. I doubt its just Utd. They first of all pay for these players in transfer fees, or youth development, they then pay there wages, they then pay for the medical expenses when they are injuried. All the time though they then have to hand over their "employees" to what is effectively another "company" who make money off them while the clubs get didly squat apart from "employees" returning unfit to work.

Its about time football associations start taking some responsability for the players they are using.

as i say, i can understand why clubs would do it. Its all well and good putting these claims against fairly big and well off FA's (not saying the SFA is) but what happens to the small countries?

Say Manucho turns out to be a massive success, and in two years time he is the worlds best striker, on over 100k per week. Could Angola afford the insurance premiums to cover him playing for them? How about someone like George Weah and Liberia? Could this type of thing turn international football into a game played only between the FA's of the biggest leagues? Could it mean talented players don't get to represent their countries because their country can't afford them?

I think international football is entering a very important period in its evolution, that could end up being the death of it.

as i say, i can understand why clubs would do it. Its all well and good putting these claims against fairly big and well off FA's (not saying the SFA is) but what happens to the small countries?

Say Manucho turns out to be a massive success, and in two years time he is the worlds best striker, on over 100k per week. Could Angola afford the insurance premiums to cover him playing for them? How about someone like George Weah and Liberia? Could this type of thing turn international football into a game played only between the FA's of the biggest leagues? Could it mean talented players don't get to represent their countries because their country can't afford them?

I think international football is entering a very important period in its evolution, that could end up being the death of it.

Thats is a good point. No way Angola would be able to afford it, but would FIFA. Maybe something along the lines of the FA's pay FIFA to insure players with the larger FA's contributing more, and the smaller FA's contributing less. Then all compensation claims go through FIFA. All though you can see the larger FA's not exactly liking that solution, and also the added problems of what games would FIFA cover, would they cover friendlies or just qualifying games and tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Tauren, at around X-Mas i got that "diamond" sleeced United jersey for 4.99 inc postage on ebay. Same jersey, 20mins later and one went for £18, i even saw one with CANTONA 7 on it go for £35 before.

ALSO, My mate got BOTH the green/yellow away and faded OT pic jerseys for €8 in a charity shop in Bray! Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Thats weird coz they are the exact same 2 jerseys i want (no i wasnt the guy who bought it dont worry) i found a site a while ago sellin them, not cheap tho....but now i cant find it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Good site for Retro Tops, a little dear tho.

http://footballshirts.dk/group.asp?group=1074&sub=1062

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Bring back the yellow and Green! and make it the home kit like in the days of old. best jersey ever.

Used to love that Jersey, it always reminds me of Eric.

Had one until it was thrown off a balcony in Torremolinos by a bitter scouser!:mad:

Cruijff wrote: »
    Good site for Retro Tops, a little dear tho.

http://footballshirts.dk/group.asp?group=1074&sub=1062

:eek: €134 for the diamond jersey?!?! thats f*ckin rediculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They grey one is €93 :eek: wtf?

I have one at home, button is missing, but other than that, it's ok.

anyone want?

DesF wrote: »

anyone want?

Is that the one that thay wore at Southampton for a half?!!

• Advertisement

anyone want?

We never had a grey one!

sssshh dont you know we aren't supposed to talk about as we are trying to delete it from the clubs history.

My bro had that with Cantona on the back.

DesF your an Arsenal fan though right?

I take it aint your jersey.

Yes, that's the one
    DesF your an Arsenal fan though right?

I take it aint your jersey.

What? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I have the grey one to :D

Not sure where it is in the house, irrelevant anyway as I wouldn't be able to see it!

I get the GF to weaar my grey one, out of sight out of mind.

• Advertisement

I have this one too

mufc6a.gif

:D

It's in Size Small though. Doesn't fit me anymore.

I dont wear jerseys unless I go to matches really, the odd time. if I owned the green and gold one Id wear it tho!! retro!

I have this one too

mufc6a.gif

:D

It's in Size Small though. Doesn't fit me anymore.

:(:(

Giggsys maiden season

Yes, that's the one

What? :confused:
    Wait are you a United fan, I always thought you were an Arsenal fan.

Giggsys maiden season
    You sure about that?

That's the jersey from before the PL was formed, iirc.

They beat Oldham in that in the semi final they year before they won the CWC, I think.

When Hughes scored that volley at the end
    Neither tbh.

Look in my sig for a hint.

• Advertisement

He's a former United fan turned (puts neck on the line here) Shels (?) fan?!

He's a former United fan turned (puts neck on the line here) Shels (?) fan?!

I'm going to kill you.

I'm going to kill you.

Rovers fan, right?:D

You sure about that?

That's the jersey from before the PL was formed, iirc.

They beat Oldham in that in the semi final they year before they won the CWC, I think.

When Hughes scored that volley at the end
    Positive. Giggs broke through the year Leeds won the last of what was the old division 1. That was the first year I ever watched football. Remember it well.

I'm going to kill you.
    :D:D:pac::pac::pac:

Positive. Giggs broke through the year Leeds won the last of what was the old division 1. That was the first year I ever watched football. Remember it well.

Is it the same year I'm on about?

Heh, I started watching football in 84, I remember the Euros in France.

Is it the same year I'm on about?

Heh, I started watching football in 84, I remember the Euros in France.

I think the Oldham year was later, when Butt and Scholes came through...94. Is this the goal?

I was born in 84, my dad was always tryin to get me into united but until that season all i watches was international football! Funny that!! Now he's kinda gone off the football a bit!!

That Panathinaikos vid in your sig is epic btw!!

I think the Oldham year was later, when Butt and Scholes came through...94. Is this the goal?
    :eek:

Yeah, that's the goal.

Jaysis, I could have sworn it was earlier. Ah well, the aul brain ain't what it used to be :D

Anyway, I do have that old adidas jersey, it's a classic.
    That Panathinaikos vid in your sig is epic btw!!
    Yeah, pity it's poxy basketball.

damnit all this talk about retro jerseys makes me really want that red diamond one! urgh why did i have to grow out of my old ones! :(

damnit all this talk about retro jerseys makes me really want that red diamond one! urgh why did i have to grow out of my old ones! :(

I know. I even went shopping today to try find the one I want.

:eek:

Yeah, that's the goal.

Jaysis, I could have sworn it was earlier. Ah well, the aul brain ain't what it used to be :D

Anyway, I do have that old adidas jersey, it's a classic.

Yea its mad the way time goes. Mad to think that when West feckin Ham stopped United winnin the League was 13 years ago!!:eek::eek::eek:

DesF wrote:
    Yeah, pity it's poxy basketball.
    In fairness though, there are vids for the soccer matches too, but that ones the best quality. Id go to a game just to see that!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement