Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Adult discussion is joking about Ian Harte singing for United?...

I cant wait to grow up:confused:

Im only 5 years older than u, lighten up.

Its an joke that started between Tauren, myself and ROCKMAN to do with Chelsea's habit of signing whoever we get linked with. Take ROCKMAN and lose the "CK" = ROMAN so myself and Tauren now feed him the latest info on who we'll be signing so that Chausea will buy them. Ian Harte is our number 1 prioriy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adult discussion is joking about Ian Harte singing for United?...

I cant wait to grow up:confused:

One day you will, and it will be a magic day for you:D

Only messin, obvioulsy, I think everyone is messin.

Im only 3 years older than u, lighten up.

Its an in joke between me, Tauren and ROCKMAN to do with Chelsea's habit of signing whoever we get linked with. Take ROCKMAN and lose the "CK" and myself and Tauren feed him the latest info on who we'll be signing so that Chausea will buy them. Ian Harte is our number 1 priority.
    and CK obviously (spelt correctly this time) stands for Chelski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Im only 3 years older than u, lighten up.

Its an joke that started between Tauren, myself and ROCKMAN to do with Chelsea's habit of signing whoever we get linked with. Take ROCKMAN and lose the "CK" and myself and Tauren feed him the latest info on who we'll be signing so that Chausea will buy them. Ian Harte is our number 1 priority.

Hey hey, come on, surley you knew i was taking the piss! I prob should have added this:p

My comments were totally light. And i read the previous posts so i knew what you were on about.

Tauren wrote: »
    and CK obviously (spelt correctly this time) stands for Chelski.

Their fans sing that "Chelsea, Chelsea" song and when they say it it sounds like Chausea (Ch-owwww-sy)

Chewsay, Chewsay, ChewSAY... Chewsayy.

That one? :p

Their fans sing that "Chelsea, Chelsea" song and when they say it it sounds like Chausea (Ch-owwww-sy)
    well they are famed for having a bit of a hooligan element...

Hey hey, come on, surley you knew i was taking the piss! I prob should have added this:p

My comments were totally light. And i read the previous posts so i knew what you were on about.

LOL no worries, these internets are hard to read without smileys, no tone of voice to go on!!

So u know then about United being on the verge of signing Danny Mills. I hear we face stiff competition from other clubs but I really think if we get him then we have the complete squad!

Chewsay, Chewsay, ChewSAY... Chewsayy.

That one? :p
    The very one....godawful!

well they are famed for having a bit of a hooligan element...

Remember that photo of yer man and his daughter at the Bridge doing facist salutes....

LOL no worries, these internets are hard to read without smileys, no tone of voice to go on!!

So u know then about United being on the verge of signing Danny Mills. I hear we face stiff competition from other clubs but I really think if we get him then we have the complete squad!

hear we are about to swap frazier campbel for dean windas. fingers crossed.

Don't think i have seen the pic of the people at the Bridge.

• Advertisement

hear we are about to swap frazier campbel for dean windas. fingers crossed.
    Hope so. campbell is crap and has no future in the game. he's very slow and has no ball control. Windass I think is the future. i think if we got him we'd have Windass and Rooney as our front 2 for many years to come. Here's hopin.

Tauren wrote:
    Don't think i have seen the pic of the people at the Bridge.

chelsea-racist.jpg

AFIK he got a lifetime ban in fairness. He looks like a real gent. Poor girl never stood a chance.

Hope so. campbell is crap and has no future in the game. he's very slow and has no ball control. Windass I think is the future. i think if we got him we'd have Windass and Rooney as our front 2 for many years to come. Here's hopin.

AFIK he got a lifetime ban in fairness. He looks like a real gent. Poor girl never stood a chance.

Joking aside.... Rooney and Windas up top would be a scary proposition...

Rumour is Glen Crowe is being tapped up by Carlos Quieroz in Temple Bar as we speak.

Apparently the Irish Daily Star are furious as United are notorious for this!

Rumour is Glen Crowe is being tapped up by Carlos Quieroz in Temple Bar as we speak.

Apparently the Irish Daily Star are furious as United are notorious for this!
    They met in Coppers as far as i know. CQ likes the nurses and bangarda it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sure you did Roman, we ain't buying it.

Anyway, anyone hear any news on United's bids for Robbie Savage and Marlon Harewood, I really hope we get them.

Savage I KNEW IT , class . Tried to tell jose and that grant lad :mad:
    I heard it Fergie was keen on signing Ian Harte :D:D:D

Thanks for head up ! That sum I owe you for that thing.. is on the way ;)
    I really hope Chausea sign Evra. He's so unbelievably sh1t. harte would make us dominant for at least the next 5 years.

Speaking of Chausea stealing our signings, why in Gods name would they sign a new right back before getting in a new manager who can build the team with his players? oh, I know, cos by all accounts, the manager doesnt pick the team!

You think I am not in postion hmmmm.

I thought i should add, latest is Ronaldo is keen on a switch to Wexford Youths as it is belived it was his mother's friends sisters boyfriend's dream for him to one day play there. Also when asked about it, he said, "I want to stay here." so it sounds to me like he is off.

Joking aside.... Rooney and Windas up top would be a scary proposition...

Throw Apache in there and defences would be terrorized! Fergie, Fergie, sign him up!!

Viva John Terry!! Haha, I didnt realise it actually got sung!! poor chap, thats gonna follow him for the rest of his career!

They met in Coppers as far as i know. CQ likes the nurses and bangarda it seems.

Hey! I drink in Coppers! im goin there this Friday actually, ill keep an eye out, Ill let roman know of more insider transfer info!

Anyway lads, who do u lads think will be the key players for us next season??

Personally I can see us looking for an even bigger return from Tevez who IMO had a fantastic season on "about 75-80%" of his ability (he reckons) so him rested and 100% is a great thought!

I expect more goals from Rooney next season. Lets hope to feck he gets an injury free run for a bit.

I also think that Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson will be key men next year.

thoughts?

Yeah thats pretty much spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I hope we do all our signings in the next few days/weeks

Much like last summer(bar Tevez but that was delayed for obvious reasons)

I like being comfortable knowing we have our players and watching other clubs scramble for the leftovers!:pac:

Hey! I drink in Coppers! im goin there this Friday actually, ill keep an eye out, Ill let roman know of more insider transfer info!

Anyway lads, who do u lads think will be the key players for us next season??

Personally I can see us looking for an even bigger return from Tevez who IMO had a fantastic season on "about 75-80%" of his ability (he reckons) so him rested and 100% is a great thought!

I expect more goals from Rooney next season. Lets hope to feck he gets an injury free run for a bit.

I also think that Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson will be key men next year.

thoughts?
    I'd like to see some improvement from Rooney - his work rate has been fantastic as always, but in front of goal he has been generally poor. His tally for the season isn't terrible, not in comparison to his own standards, but that was aided by a purple patch over 8 or 9 games where he got a good chunk of his goals. He needs to be better in front of goal, he has the ability and footballing brain to get into great goal-scoring positions, and the technique to finish it off, he just needs to put it all together with some consistency.

However, for the KEY players next season, i'm still going with Anderson and Hargreaves. If they get the chance, I reckon they could form an awesome midfield partnership and be the platform we build on.

Nani, i'm just not sure - he'd have to mature a massive amount over the summer.

Unearthly wrote: »
    I hope we do all our signings in the next few days/weeks

Much like last summer(bar Tevez but that was delayed for obvious reasons)

I like being comfortable knowing we have our players and watching other clubs scramble for the leftovers!:pac:

i'd love that too, but given the reported first choice targets, I can't see it happening.

I think we are going to have to wait for a big move to happen to kick the transfers off. Last summer we were able to get stuff done early cause we went for young emerging talents; this season I think we'll be going for more established stars which will draw the process out a bit longer. I would love to have things done before the Euro Champs kick off, but I can't see it happening. Hopefully we'll have our signings made by the time pre-season starts though, so the players we get have the best chance of being involved from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If Hargreaves can keep himself fit, he'll be a key player for Man Utd. He has struggled for fitness, and if he misses a patch of games here and there, it will disrupt his season greatly.

Fergie has says he expects Giggs, Scholes and Neville to each play about 20-25 games next season. This gives a huge chance for Nani, Anderson and potentially Brown to make a first-team position theirs.

Of the three, Anderson is most likely to succeed. Nani undoubtedly has the potential, but he's not yet the finished article and will need to step up a gear (as Ronaldo did after the World Cup). Based on performances from the last few months, I can see Park seriously pushing Nani for a regular starting place. I reckon Park is very under-rated, he was phenomenal at PSV and it'd be great* to see him recapture that form.

*As a football fan, not as a Liverpool fan, obviously!

If Hargreaves can keep himself fit, he'll be a key player for Man Utd. He has struggled for fitness, and if he misses a patch of games here and there, it will disrupt his season greatly.

Fergie has says he expects Giggs, Scholes and Neville to each play about 20-25 games next season. This gives a huge chance for Nani, Anderson and potentially Brown to make a first-team position theirs.

Of the three, Anderson is most likely to succeed. Nani undoubtedly has the potential, but he's not yet the finished article and will need to step up a gear (as Ronaldo did after the World Cup). Based on performances from the last few months, I can see Park seriously pushing Nani for a regular starting place. I reckon Park is very under-rated, he was phenomenal at PSV and it'd be great* to see him recapture that form.

*As a football fan, not as a Liverpool fan, obviously!

thought it was very harsh to see Park not even get a place on the bench for the CL Final - considering how important he had become in the previous rounds.

Good ol' Marca:

Cristiano Ronaldo could make a definitive step in forcing his exit from Manchester United by putting himself on the transfer list. (Spanish sports paper Marca, 0815 BST)

Regardless of whether Ronnie wants to leave this summer or not, and I personally don't think that he does, I honestly can't see him putting in a transfer request. I reckon it really is a "he could do this" rather than a "he plans to do this" story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Good ol' Marca:

Cristiano Ronaldo could make a definitive step in forcing his exit from Manchester United by putting himself on the transfer list. (Spanish sports paper Marca, 0815 BST)

Regardless of whether Ronnie wants to leave this summer or not, and I personally don't think that he does, I honestly can't see him putting in a transfer request. I reckon it really is a "he could do this" rather than a "he plans to do this" story.
    TO be fair like , until Sept 1st we are going to hear this every bloody day he is at United should he not leave.

Cruijff wrote: »
    TO be fair like , until Sept 1st we are going to hear this every bloody day he is at United should he not leave.

oh i agree - its a pain in the arse though!

oh i agree - its a pain in the arse though!
    Oh its a massive pain the arse, its like Beckham all over again.

The media make me sick, we buy in to the hype and speculation.

Oh yeah, the Giggs tribute show (Its a wonderful run by Giggs) is on tonight, on Sky Sports 1, at 7pm and 10pm.

Oh yeah, the Giggs tribute show (Its a wonderful run by Giggs) is on tonight, on Sky Sports 1, at 7pm and 10pm.
    Hopefully it wont be like the shameless promotion of Cesc Fabregas. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Hopefully it wont be like the shameless promotion of Cesc Fabregas. ;)

You've just been merced ;)

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=715173

The Frenchman’s contract at Old Trafford runs out next year, and talks over a new deal have not gone well despite both sides insisting that their ultimate goal is to renew.

Le Parisien says that Milan are ready to offer the 27-year-old a lucrative contract in the next few weeks, with Evra apparently asking for €2.75m per year.

The San Siro giants are not the only Italian club to have been linked with Evra, as Juventus and Inter are also said to be watching the player’s situation closely.

"A lot of people say I am the best left-back in the world," he said. "I know my capacity and if you work hard you can do well.

"My agent and United know my situation. I have one year left and I don't want to speak about my future."

Even though he is clearly playing hard-ball, Evra also acknowledged that United boss Sir Alex Ferguson had a great deal to do with his maturation as a player.

"French football is so different to the English, which is quicker and more physical," said the ex Monaco man.

"I just wanted to walk into the team and I did that. I was very confident with my capacity, but I was angry with myself for not showing my best.

"My first six months did not see the best of me, but he (Ferguson) said: `Pat, relax. Next year you'll do better.'"

SORT THIS OUT GILL! SORT THIS OUT!

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/article.html?in_article_id=155090&in_page_id=43

Liverpool fans created an Anfield shrine under Manchester United player Gary Neville's swimming pool during renovations.

Brothers Brian and Gary Greer were tiling the England full-back's pool when they came up with the idea, reports today's Sun.

The brothers claim they buried a copy of Kop magazine, a Liverpool scarf and match-day programme underneath the pool in his house near Bolton.

Neville already has history with Liverpool. United and the Anfield side are fierce rivals and the player was fined £5,000 for over-zealous celebrations when United beat the Merseyside team two years ago.

A Manchester United source said: 'He's aware of this. To say he is less than pleased is an understatement.'

Builder Brian said: 'We went to Neville-Neville land to tile his swimming pool.

'While we were there we created a Scouse time capsule and tiled over the top of it. When his house is dug up in the future, archaeologists will see what a passion he had for the Red men.'

Kinda funny, but if it was my pool i'd have it drained and the crap removed. It actually annoys me ho unprofessional this is, they were paid to do a job and screwed over the person who was paying them to do it. Not cool at all.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You've just been merced ;)
    I will be honest, I enjoyed Rio's Merced show I dont know why. I especially liked it when he Merced Beckham. You have been Merced mate , BRAAAP BRAAAAP!!!!!!

;)

It actually annoys me ho unprofessional this is, they were paid to do a job and screwed over the person who was paying them to do it. Not cool at all.

:pac:ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha:pac:
    I will be honest, I enjoyed Rio's Merced show I dont know why. I especially liked it when he Merced Beckham. You have been Merced mate , BRAAAP BRAAAAP!!!!!!

;)

i actually found that quite disturbing, a glimpse in Beckhams world and it wasnt pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kinda funny, but if it was my pool i'd have it drained and the crap removed. It actually annoys me ho unprofessional this is, they were paid to do a job and screwed over the person who was paying them to do it. Not cool at all.

Ah come on now, it's just a bit of a laugh!

The situation regarding Evra's contract is a bit of a worry. Full-backs of his quality are rarer than hen's teeth these days, and Man Utd would do well to hang on to him. He's just angling for a big-money deal, and if Man Utd have sense, they'll pay up!

Ah come on now, it's just a bit of a laugh!
    Well Neville didn't think it was funny, and considering he was the guy paying for it, that is all that matters. If you agree to do a job, it should be done professionally.
    The situation regarding Evra's contract is a bit of a worry. Full-backs of his quality are rarer than hen's teeth these days, and Man Utd would do well to hang on to him. He's just angling for a big-money deal, and if Man Utd have sense, they'll pay up!

I think i read Gill is metting Evra's agent today for further discussions, hopefully he'll get it sorted. I would hate to lose Evra, he is one of my favourite players at the club, and cult hero and possibly the best left back in the world.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=6610395
    United's Trinity tribute

A statue of United’s “Holy Trinity” – Sir Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law – will be unveiled at Old Trafford today.

Forty years to the day since the Reds lifted the European Cup for the first time, the statue, which will stand opposite the one of Sir Matt Busby at the front of the stadium, will be revealed in a ceremony beginning at 12pm (shown live on MUTV).

Most of the surviving members of the 1968 squad are expected to attend the event, which will honour their achievements during that memorable season and pay tribute to what was arguably the finest attacking trio to ever play together.

Charlton, Best and Law scored 665 goals between them for United, and, between 1964 and 1968, all won the coveted European Footballer of the Year award.

Now, thanks to award-winning sculptor Philip Jackson, their legacy will forever be remembered by fans who visit the home of Manchester United.

About bleedin time.

And another story:

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=715216

The 24-year-old Argentine, who is still officially only on loan at the club, fit in seamlessly in his first season at Old Trafford, having formed a formidable understanding with Rooney and Ronaldo, which only promises to get better.

"It is crucial to get him signed and I am sure that will happen," said Rooney.

"Carlos loves playing football here, he's enjoying it so I don't see why it will be a problem.

"We saw him at West Ham what a great player he was and how hard he works for the team," he added.

"I had no doubts that we could play together and from training with him when he first came you could immediately see the qualities he had. I couldn't wait to play with him.

"Towards the end of the season we didn't play together a lot, but when we did, we did really well.

"He's been brilliant. He's a battler, he works so hard and has scored 19 goals, which is brilliant."

Tevez is currently on loan from Media Sports Investments, a controversial situation that is usually forbidden due to the Premier League’s strict stance against third-party deals. Although the loan is technically just halfway through now, both he and the club are more than keen to extend his stay far beyond the two years initially agreed.

If you agree to do a job, it should be done professionally.

Unprofessional eh? Neville himself is partial to the odd unprofessional outburst if i'm not mistaken. Sometimes passion and love for ones team takes over from rational thinking and professionalism.

fair play to the lads. him hiring a bunch of scousers to do his pool was the only mistake in this story :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I would wait till after today before I get worried about the Evra situation. Both sides have said there is a contract meeting today. Although with Evra with the French squad he might not be in attendance so it could just be his agent. Hopefully we will here something today that has all of it cleared up, even an we have agreed in principal would do me. If we hear nothing then I would be worried.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=95415

Despite saving his spotkick in last week's Champions League final, Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech believes Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo should stick with his stop-start penalty-taking technique.

Cech said: "Ronaldo has always paused before taking his last few penalties.

"So I think he will take it the same way again in the future.

"He has no reason to change it. Moreover, he has scored most of them. He only missed the one against Barcelona and the one in the Moscow final."

Well done Cech, you have managed to understand what many people seemingly haven't. Ronnie's penalty in the CL final was just not good - but had nothing to do with his style of taking them. Infact, the one he missed against barcelona didn't have the pause in the middle as far as I remember. He also missed one at west ham.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=95410

Manchester United are confident of securing Patrice Evra to a new contract.

The Times says Evra hinted yesterday that he could leave Old Trafford unless the club doubles his £35,000-a-week wages amid interest from AC Milan.

Evra is in a strong bargaining position as United would be loath to lose the player for nothing when his contract expires next summer, but with more talks due to be held with the Frenchman's representatives today, the English and European champions are confident that an agreement over a new deal will be reached.

As we have already been saying today.

When the contract stories first broke the talk was of 120k p/w demands which worried me as I didn't think United would offer that. But if the demand is 70k (first teamer wages, less than 'top' players) then it is fair enough and should be met without too much bother.

EDIT:

VERY INTERESTING NEWS!!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/05/29/SOCCER_England_Snap.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Seven players involved in last week's Champions League final have been excused from England's trip to Trinidad and Tobago for the friendly international match on Sunday.

Coach Fabio Capello confirmed that of the men involved in Moscow last week, only Rio Ferdinand, who has links with the Caribbean, and Chelsea full-back Wayne Bridge, who did not get onto the pitch at the Luzhniki Stadium, will be part of his 20-man squad for the final game of the season.

Chelsea's John Terry, who opened the scoring in Wednesday night's 2-0 win over the United States at Wembley, is one of those given an early holiday along with Wayne Rooney, Owen Hargreaves, Wes Brown, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard and Joe Cole.

I wonder if this is a hint that Rio will be the new England captain. I would have thought Hargreaves and Bridge would be the players to stay with the England squad given their relative lack of football this season. But with Rio staying behind, I really do wonder if it means he will be the new England captain. I had said to a mate that if either Terry or Rio stayed with the squad it would probably mean they were the new captain.

• Advertisement

Off course Cech wants him to keep the same technique he knows he can save them

I would hope Evra is looking for parity with Wes/Vidic. Anything more and I think he would be pushing it. Still though what would be the cost of trying to replace him. Pay the man.

didn't Ronaldo score his penalty in the community shield shoot out, which means Ronnie can also score them against Cech.

didn't Ronaldo score his penalty in the community shield shoot out, which means Ronnie can also score them against Cech.

Nope Ferdinand, Carrick, Rooney scored while Pizarro, Lampard, and Wright-Phillps missed.

is Gerrard travelling to T&T? he'd be another good bet for the captaincy.

Nope Ferdinand, Carrick, Rooney scored while Pizarro, Lampard, and Wright-Phillps missed.

ah right so - clearly Carrick should be our penalty taker so!

Personally i'd still have confidence in Ronaldo to score a penalty as much as any other United player, more so actually.

Anyway, Rio for England captain? I think so, based on the story above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

is Gerrard travelling to T&T? he'd be another good bet for the captaincy.
    No he wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

He didn't get the chance to take one in the community shield as far as I remember. But I agree, his was a poor penalty but his technique generally works for him so that wasn't the problem.

Wouldn't mind letting Hargreaves take over penalty duties though - he's class at them!

DesF wrote: »
    No he wouldn't.

why so desmond?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

why so desmond?

I'm not saying he wouldn't make a good national team captain, I'm saying that I wouldn't call it a good bet that he will be.

Here, I'll give you odds if you want. :)

• Advertisement

I think he said he was going to spread the captaincy around until the Euro Qualifiers, so I wouldn't be surprised if we seen a "surprise" captain like David Beckham at the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement