Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

DesF wrote: »
    No he wouldn't.

I think you're right - it's between Rio and Terry I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    is Gerrard travelling to T&T? he'd be another good bet for the captaincy.

Yeah he is - I don't think he'll get it though, I reckon it is between Rio and Terry, and I think Rio staying with the team and Terry not might be an indication Rio has got it. My own personal opinion based on what has happened, have not seen any kind of reports about it so I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see who is named captain for the T&T game anyway - can't see it being anyone other than Gerrard or Rio (rooney might have been given a 'turn' but he isn't going)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Think its between the three of them myself, Fabio saying he'll spread the captaincy around before deciding on a permanent captain for the quals.

gerrard was captain first, then Rio, now Terry.

wat odds we talking Des?:)

I think he said he was going to spread the captaincy around until the Euro Qualifiers, so I wouldn't be surprised if we seen a "surprise" captain like David Beckham at the weekend.

i was under the impression it was to be spread around actual candidates, which would only be Rio, Terry and Gerrard. Maybe he will spring a surprise though, but I still think it would need to be given to someone who is likely to play in most of Englands games and is a senior figure among the squad. Would only leave James imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

wat odds we talking Des?:)

Well, there's three of them, so 3/1?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Tauren wrote: »
    i was under the impression it was to be spread around actual candidates, which would only be Rio, Terry and Gerrard. Maybe he will spring a surprise though, but I still think it would need to be given to someone who is likely to play in most of Englands games and is a senior figure among the squad. Would only leave James imo.

Maybe Beckham is a candidate, he seems to have a future in the squad, Capello likes him, and he is a previous Englad captain.

I do think it will end up on Rio's arm though. I say Capello wants a winner to be his captain, not second best.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/article.html?in_article_id=155090&in_page_id=43

Liverpool fans created an Anfield shrine under Manchester United player Gary Neville's swimming pool during renovations.

A similar thing happened in the states, where a red sox fan who was building the new yankee stadium buried a red sox jersey in the foundations.
    The yankees took it so seriously that they halted a couple of days building to dig it back up.

Well, there's three of them, so 3/1?

€10?

Maybe Beckham is a candidate, he seems to have a future in the squad, Capello likes him, and he is a previous Englad captain.

I do think it will end up on Rio's arm though. I say Capello wants a winner to be his captain, not second best.:)

I was keeping an eye on Rio and Terry last night - and both of them were very very talkative to the team, and to each other (as players should be, I personally don't believe captaincy should make a difference to a player, though it does). I was wondering would Rio kinda fade back and let terry do all the talking last night, but he seemed to step up and play his role regardless

€10?
    Done, now don't forget this time, will you? :D

OK, here's the terms of the bet.

When Fabio Capello announces the new permanent captain of the England Team, you say it will be Steven Gerrard, I say it won't.

The Bet is Ten Euros, and I'm giving odds of 3/1.

Deal?

• Advertisement

deal

handshake.jpg

i may be a gambla-holic....i dont even really think Gerrard will be captain!:p

i may be a gambla-holic....i dont even really think Gerrard will be captain!:p

:eek:

Any chance I can have that tenner today then? I have some cash issues at the minute :D

i'll send my butler around with it ;)

Converstion with scoredraw reagrding the retro jersey's.

Hi,

I have been looking and discussing retro shirts all day and came across your company. I was wondering if you have any future plans to the following jerseys

Manchester United - Home 1996 with the diamond sleeves.

Manchester United - Home 93-94 with the old trafford imprint.

See photos attached.

Regards,
    Alan Murphy

Dear Alan

Thank you for your interest, At Score Draw we only work officially that means we always pay the football club a royalty no matter what, we also pride ourselves on making sure everything we manufacture is ethically compliant. We have been working with Manchester United for about 3 years through their website and mega-store. The shirts you have suggested are very interesting especially the 1993-96 shirt as they won the double in this shirt and may well be in a range being developed in the next couple of years, but unfortunately not at the moment. Please look out for us in the coming future.

Many thanks
    Alex Broughton

Dunno which one he means by the 93-96 shirt as there were two shirts during that time and we won the double in both (94 and 96).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Wouldn't mind letting Hargreaves take over penalty duties though - he's class at them!

you're right, he took an amazing peno in the final but i think id give the duty to tevez if ronnie didnt want them-his was amazing, the long looping run up completely threw cech off!
    Converstion with scoredraw reagrding the retro jersey's.

Thank you for your interest, At Score Draw we only work officially that means we always pay the football club a royalty no matter what, we also pride ourselves on making sure everything we manufacture is ethically compliant. We have been working with Manchester United for about 3 years through their website and mega-store. The shirts you have suggested are very interesting especially the 1993-96 shirt as they won the double in this shirt and may well be in a range being developed in the next couple of years, but unfortunately not at the moment. Please look out for us in the coming future.

Many thanks
    Alex Broughton

couple of years? they know now there is a demand for them they should go for it......simple supply and demand economics-if people want it-produce it and you will make money!

couple of years? they know now there is a demand for them they should go for it......simple supply and demand economics-if people want it-produce it and you will make money!

You would think but they obviously have to get endorsed by the club and all first which would be where the dealy is I imagine.

You would think but they obviously have to get endorsed by the club and all first which would be where the dealy is I imagine.

ah ye you're probably right, will just have to settle for champions sports for the moment i guess!

To th epeople that said they would sell their tops, or had them in a bag in the attic (LittleDevil!), you selling? I'd seriously love the diamond sleved one or the old trafford imprint one!

To th epeople that said they would sell their tops, or had them in a bag in the attic (LittleDevil!), you selling? I'd seriously love the diamond sleved one or the old trafford imprint one!

me too! any updates?! they were my 2 favourite jerseys when i was younger (i had alot of utd jerseys) but i grew out of them, damn growing!)

Back Off! I Call Dibs!

• Advertisement

Just to be fair - I have the home jersey from the Ronaldo debut season, and the Blue/Red away jersey from the same season (i think) at home if anyone wants them.

if you have the one with the faded Old Trafford on it I WANT IT BAD! Would love the home one with the diamond design on the sleves and the round crest in the middle. Faded OT one would be the preference. Would be interested in the blue and white away one with the names on it...

Blue and white with names.

EDIT: I think he was gonna dig them out and throw them on adverts so it will prob be a case of highest bidder lads.

Got all excited there, and even clicked 'Buy Now' - then realised its XS size! I want to wear it myself, not give it to my little bro! :D

Damn it... i have seen a few of the retro tops on ebay, have them watched for the moment - all auctions and not ending for a good few days so there is no point bidding on them now.

Buy Now FTW!

Back Off! I Call Dibs!

which one would be your preference coz if he has both of them we dont want a death match, we wont need one if we are lookin for the other ones.

which one would be your preference coz if he has both of them we dont want a death match, we wont need one if we are lookin for the other ones.
    Faded OT would be my preference

Blue and white with names.

EDIT: I think he was gonna dig them out and throw them on adverts so it will prob be a case of highest bidder lads.
    that won't be the case on adverts - auctioning is not allowed. You have to supply a buy price, and the first person to offer it should get it. i think.

Faded OT would be my preference

fair enough, (i love that one too) but if it comes down to it ill take the diamond one!

that won't be the case on adverts - auctioning is not allowed. You have to supply a buy price, and the first person to offer it should get it. i think.

Ah right. I have never used adverts myself so I wouldn't know. We are all going to be sitting around our desks constantly refreshing adverts.

Ah right. I have never used adverts myself so I wouldn't know. We are all going to be sitting around our desks constantly refreshing adverts.
    No need for that.

i called dibs!

• Advertisement

No need for that.

i called dibs!

Sorry I dont live by dibs, I live by the bagsy and only the bagsy.

Bagsy the old trafford one. Yeah. :cool:

damn you and your legal mumbo-jumbo!

seein as we all have the old trafford one as our top priority, ill step down and opt for (dibs, bagsy etc) the diamond one (if there even is one)

FA ponder United appeal
    The Football Association is considering whether to appeal against the decision to clear Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz of improper conduct.

The Manchester United manager and his assistant were charged over their criticism of referee Martin Atkinson and Professional Game Match Officials (PGMO) general manager Keith Hackett after the 1-0 defeat to Portsmouth in the FA Cup.

They were found not guilty by an independent commission but reports later emerged that the main reason for them escaping action was a transcription error by the FA.

Queiroz had been transcribed as saying of Atkinson "that is my opinion of this robber today", when in fact he is believed to have said, "that is my opinion of his job today."

An FA spokesman has refuted suggestions that there was any such error, and confirmed that an appeal may be lodged.

However, the governing body will await receipt of the full judgement and 'written reasons' before considering further action.

"The charges were brought on more than just the issue of the word 'robber'," said an FA spokesman.

"At any disciplinary hearing the FA, as the prosecutor, argues its case, as does the defence.

Probability

"The fact that the commission found the charge was not proved does not mean that the FA made any errors in putting the case together.

"The commission has to make a decision based on the applicable standards of proof, which is balance of probability."

United had a claim for a penalty turned down in the clash with Pompey, before Atkinson awarded Harry Redknapp's side a spot-kick and sent off goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak after he had brought down Milan Baros.

Ferguson was furious after the game, saying: "Managers get sacked because of things like that and he's going to referee a game next week.

"He [Hackett] is not doing his job properly and he needs to be assessed.

"I'm assessed as a manager, players are assessed, referees should be assessed properly by the right people. That performance should not be accepted by our game."

Never knew the FA could appeal.

Real accept Ronaldo defeat
    Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon appears to be resigned to missing out on Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Manchester United winger has been strongly linked with a move to Real Madrid despite the Premier League club's insistence that he will not be sold.

United threatened to report Real to Fifa earlier this week over their public pursuit of Ronaldo and Calderon now seems to have accepted defeat.

Calderon attempted to cool the row on Wednesday by stressing that Real would not try to sweet-talk Ronaldo into leaving Old Trafford.

He has reiterated that Real do not want to damage their relationship with United and admitted there is little point in tracking Ronaldo further.

"You can't buy what the owner does not want to sell," Calderon said on Sky Sports News.

"Real Madrid are friends with Manchester United and we do not want to fall out with them."

Hopefully Real and the stories f*ck off now but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Meh there's always a summer transfer saga with Real - Vieira, Anelka etc...I wouldn't pay much attention, it's characteristic of the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Meh there's always a summer transfer saga with Real - Vieira, Anelka etc...I wouldn't pay much attention, it's characteristic of the club

True, but Ronaldo himself certainly didn't help matters either. Looks like he's staying now anyway, who knows for how long though.

• Advertisement

Yeah but tbh I think a lot of that could be down to his inarticulateness, or maybe he IS that cunning and mischievous...

in interviews in portugeese he was just as shady about his future and wanting to go to spain one day so language is no excuse.

lost in translation perhaps? It could be a case of either tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Trinity Tribute picture for those who might not have seen it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

lost in translation perhaps? It could be a case of either tbh

It's nothing to do with his language skills. He was just playing mind games, why I'm not sure. He should have come right out and committed himself to United straight up, and stop playing silly beggars. He wants to go to Madrid some day and that's fair enough, but he can spend another couple of seasons at United knowing that the Madrid option will be there in the future. It's said he doesn't like the Manchester weather, lifestyle etc so I've a feeling it won't be long until he ups and leaves.

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »

Best and Charlton look ok, but it's nothing like Denis Law, imo.

It's not great,but I think it does look somewhat like him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Best and Charlton look ok, but it's nothing like Denis Law, imo.

When did Hansen play for United???

Real accept Ronaldo defeat

Hopefully Real and the stories f*ck off now but I doubt it.

we'll hear yet another story from them tomorrow or over the weekend. Don't believe anything they say, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with his language skills. He was just playing mind games, why I'm not sure. He should have come right out and committed himself to United straight up, and stop playing silly beggars. He wants to go to Madrid some day and that's fair enough, but he can spend another couple of seasons at United knowing that the Madrid option will be there in the future. It's said he doesn't like the Manchester weather, lifestyle etc so I've a feeling it won't be long until he ups and leaves.

i reckon he is chancing for another renegotiation of the contract. there's one certainty about him, he's vain. i think he may well want to be the best paid footballer in the world after this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

We're suffering from Englands lack of qualification, instead of reading about Terry/Lampard/Rio saying it's their year, it's ronaldo speculation :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Unearthly wrote: »
    We're suffering from Englands lack of qualification, instead of reading about Terry/Lampard/Rio saying it's their year, it's ronaldo speculation :(
    Thank god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

i reckon he is chancing for another renegotiation of the contract. there's one certainty about him, he's vain. i think he may well want to be the best paid footballer in the world after this season.

Hard not to be vain. And would you say he doesn't deserve to be the highest paid footballer at the moment. After a season like that he deserves it.

It's a wonderful run by Giggs!!

Right now!!!!

SKY SPORTS 1

kmart6 wrote: »

Who wears short shorts!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement