Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

Sevilla - 3 Offers Lodged for Daniel Alves

"Sevilla claim they have received three unacceptable offers for reported Man Utd, Chelsea and Barcelona target Daniel Alves"

The Brazil international's future will be the subject of intense speculation again this summer but his Spanish club are known to be tough negotiators in the transfer market.

Spurs will also be interested in the 25-year-old given Juande Ramos connections with the Andalucian outfit, although Alves would be unlikely to give up Champions League football.

Sevilla president told Sky Sports: "We have received three offers but not one is close (to our valuation) and for that reason I haven't even entered into negotiations.

"Until a deal is reached, the player will see out his contract."

Alves has four years to run on his deal and was reportedly a £26m Barca target 12 months ago.

source: Link

Dunno if this was posted yet, but dont Chawsey already have like 6 right backs!?! Eh Tauren...trend continuing?! RO(CK)MAN...show your face!!

Unearthly wrote: »
    We're suffering from Englands lack of qualification, instead of reading about Terry/Lampard/Rio saying it's their year, it's ronaldo speculation :(

Dont worry, you'll still get to read plenty of quotes from Gerrard about Next Season being "their year"!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Dont worry, you'll still get to read plenty of quotes from Gerrard about Next Season being "their year"!! :D:D

:D

''This year will be our year''Tm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Who wears short shorts!
    Every player back then;)

Gary Neville being given added incentive to come around and accept Scousers!!

I'm suprised he let them into his house in the first place knowing him!!

He'll prob rip it up now saying it's cursed!

kmart6 wrote: »
    He'll prob rip it up now saing it's cursed!

Wouldnt suprise me! Itll eat away at him from the inside otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Ha Ha did anyone else see on the Gary Neville link, on the right hand side it has another link for Phils house been put up for sale, apparently he has the letters P and J engraved onto the gates and doors:D

selling for around 4 million too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gary Neville being given added incentive to come around and accept Scousers!!

I'm suprised he let them into his house in the first place knowing him!!

reposting things I have already posted just to get your post count up Neil...tut tut tut.

• Advertisement

God I didn't realise,I retract my previous post in response to Neil's article and give it to you Tauren....lol!

Tauren wrote: »
    reposting things I have already posted just to get your post count up Neil...tut tut tut.

Didnt see it, havent read this thread today, busy studyin :(, I just added the things Ive stumbled on over the last few mins.

I would apologise too except for the post count remark...post counts are for sissies!! I dont take me e-persona seriosuly enough to worry about post counts!!!

Runs off to search for other articles that will help increase my post count so I can boost my e-persona and make my e-penis bigger!!:cool::pac:

Didnt see it, havent read this thread today, just added the things Ive stumpbled on over the last few mins.

I would apologise too except for the post count remark...post counts are for sissies!! I dont take me e-persona seriosuly enough to worry about post counts!!!

Runs off to search for other articles that will help increase my post count so I can boost my e-persona and make my e-penis bigger!!:cool::pac:

the mere fact you acknowledge you have an e-persona is enough!:D

(PC+1!)

God I didn't realise,I retract my previous post in response to Neil's article and give it to you Tauren....lol!

good stuff - I like it

(PC+2!!)

(PC+1!)

Postwhore!!

+ 1:p

What's (PC+2)?!

PC+1:D

• Advertisement

Thats unfair cos u didnt see his link first u saw mine, so thank the man that brought it to your attention!!

+ 2, keeps up with e-Tauren!!:eek:

What's (PC+2)?!

PC+1:D

Polictically correct by 1 or 2, or in this case 3.........:pac::pac:

PostCount FTW!:cool:

The fact that you noticed the fact that I acknowledged it says it all, think about that!! :pac::pac:4:pac::pac:

Back to the point of this thread, all things Man Red :D

Saha on the move?

Only a rumour but has to be bullsh1t! Ten million, you're havin a laugh!! However, it is West Ham.....Lucas Neill will tell u, they can be taken for a ride! :D:pac:

But afaik you may just have copied Tauren's in the hope that nobody would notice cause it was a few pages back!

But afaik you may just have copied Tauren's in the hope that nobody would notice cause it was a few pages back!

Actually no Im not that sad thanks.....Im going to weep!! I found it on redcafe and posted it here.

• Advertisement

Ah so just did what I said just from a different site;)

Ah so just did what I said just from a different site;)

Exactly! Thats fair game, red cafe is as good a source of Man Red info as you will find in fairness. As long as u can get used to the word "dipper"!!!

PS anyone know where the hell PHB is?! He hasnt been on in an age, and he wasnt around here for the biggest week for United in some time!! I miss PHB!!

Noticed that as well,especially after someone was b1tching at the start of this thread bout how he should start it!

I wasnt. Who gives a toss who starts it? Only some geek who would thinks that starting a thread that gets a high reply rate on the internet is something of consequence (even in this case its not particularly hard either when its the Man Red superthread - oh yea, it rhymes!!) would worry about such things. E-persona FTW!

He was the most regular contributor last season, always kept the thread interesting with his insights etc. Yo PHB, if you're lurkin, get back here and start your "potential starting 11 and formations for next season" debates again!

lets all calm down and take a step back here...

Man Red superthread - oh yea, it rhymes!!

Oh god Neil don't try that again!

Oh, and PHB is doing exams, according to DesF

Well fair f*cks to him keeping off this! It was a safe haven for me during mine:)

Oh, and PHB is doing exams, according to DesF

Meh, softcore!! Im doin exams, have been all week! But then again, I havent been doin very well in them...self owned!

Stupid timing of the end of a dramatic season fallin in with my exams :(

Luckily I planned on a repeat in September, literally wrote one exam off cos its too long and wasnt gonna get through the stuff. means a summer of study though which is poxy but I dont have United to distract me....until August!

• Advertisement

What the hell is with SS?!

Highlight clip after CL final-Song=Take That-Rule The World

Highlight clip after Giggs Tribute-Song=Take That-Rule The World

Me thinks they got a special offer on the rights,lol! Or else United have adopted it as the new club song:eek:

Well, with this 6+5 rule looking a little more likely, I would imagine Micah Richards has just become a much bigger target for United. I wonder will it have an effect on who else we might go for, will we be looking to over-priced Englishmen now instead of the 'first choice' players we had been looking at?

Having a look round the league I don't think there are really many player we actually would go for.

Richards in defence, covering both right back and centre back places is an obvious target.

Up front I would say Dean Ashton is the most likely Englishman to go for - he is a bit too inconsistent really, but has the physical attributes we'd be looking for.

If we were making a move for a left winger, Ashley Young would be my automatic pick, but i just don't see anyone getting him off Villa without spending a fortune, and I can't see him angling for a move at this point either.

It is certainly going to make for an interesting summer; Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea will have to completely re-think their buying strategy to cope with the 6+5 rule, if it does indeed get implemented.

EDIT: just read it wouldn't come in til the 2012/2013 season, so a good 5 years away, nothing to worry about for the moment, but will probably result in youth academies up and down the country getting raided for any English lad with even the slightest bit of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

It is certainly going to make for an interesting summer; Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea will have to completely re-think their buying strategy to cope with the 6+5 rule, if it does indeed get implemented.

EDIT: just read it wouldn't come in til the 2012/2013 season, so a good 5 years away, nothing to worry about for the moment, but will probably result in youth academies up and down the country getting raided for any English lad with even the slightest bit of talent.

6+5 rule would contrevene EU employment law.
    No chance in hell that it will come to pass to be honest as the big 4 would
    fight it all the way to the European courts and would ultimately win.

Arsenal will fight this in court to no end. And they'll probably win, its against all EU employment laws.

However if it came in now we wouldnt be in a bad spot at all. Our starting lineup in the CL Final had 6 English players.

It does give United an incentive to try to bring through the likes of Wellbeck and Campbell rather than just shipping them off for money now though doesnt it.

Also wheres Ramsey from?! Wales or Engerland?

The problem for United would be that we haven't really produced a decent talent in ages - not since the class of 95, Brown would be the only ennglish exception to that. It is possible Simpson could prove himself to be a good right back, but I don't think he will make it either. He is a little too old (only 20!!) to have not made some sort of impact. I don't expect all players to be first choice by 20 like Rooney, Ronaldo, Messi, Cesc etc, but you'd expect them to be making a name for themslves.

If the rule does come in, and of course there will be battles all the way, United will need to sort out the scouting system, which frankly has not been good enough with regards to local talent over the last number of years. Having spoken to people from Manchester that would take an interest in such things, it appears that United are very thin on the ground when it comes to scouts looking at the local underage sides. City on the other hand are ment to be extremely active in this regard - as evidenced by Richards, Johnson, Sturidge and Onohua (sp). It is rather shameful that a club with out history and traditions hasn't produced a notable name in years, while City just down the road are. I'm not saying we have a devine right to these players, not in the least, just that we should be spotting these kids first, or at least making moves for them at the same time.

A club of United's history and traditions, money and facilities, should have an army of scouts roaming the country every saturday and sunday, looking for the next talented kids to hit the sunday league. Rather then relying on grandfathers to send DVDs from Austrailia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

If the rule does come in, and of course there will be battles all the way, United will need to sort out the scouting system, which frankly has not been good enough with regards to local talent over the last number of years. Having spoken to people from Manchester that would take an interest in such things, it appears that United are very thin on the ground when it comes to scouts looking at the local underage sides. City on the other hand are ment to be extremely active in this regard - as evidenced by Richards, Johnson, Sturidge and Onohua (sp). It is rather shameful that a club with out history and traditions hasn't produced a notable name in years, while City just down the road are. I'm not saying we have a devine right to these players, not in the least, just that we should be spotting these kids first, or at least making moves for them at the same time..

let city scout the good players, let them find the best ones and then we'll take them, like we did with giggsy!! :D

let city scout the good players, let them find the best ones and then we'll take them, like we did with giggsy!! :D

we didn't get it done with Richards or Sturridge though. City are putting us to shame with domestic scouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

One of Utd's biggest problems when it come to young players , Like most of the big clubs. Is time in the modern game these young players are not giving enough time , When you are fighting for trophies on four fronts there is not many games or places to try these young players out , Ok the league cup but that is now-a-days kept to keep the full internationals in the squad happy. So unless they are something every special they don't break through instead they take the route that is coming all to common these days i.e. Out on loan to a smaller club , impress there and get signed. Which you cannot blame them as all players just want to play first team football

Ps Niel you can never have enough RB's :D

Manucho getting himself ready...

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid=%7BB4CEE8FA%2D9A47%2D47BC%2DB069%2D3F7A2F35DB70%7D&newsid=6610497

Angola striker Manucho expects to be part of United's first team squad next season after completing a three-month loan spell at Panathinaikos.

The 25-year-old was offered a long term contract at Old Trafford last December after impressing during a trial with the club. He has spent the last few months in Greece where he scored once during eight appearances.

Although yet to obtain a work permit, Manucho remains confident things will be sorted in time for him to link with his new team-mates for pre-season.

"The club is dealing with the work-permit process and I have been asked to turn up on July 1 for pre-season," revealed the striker, who is currently on international duty.

"Since the end of the Greek league, I have been in contact with United assistant manager Carlos Queiroz and I know that things are going well.

"I am not thinking about wearing a shirt other than that of United. I am just thinking about playing in the Champions League next season."

I really want to believe that he won't be a waste of time, money and effort, but a 25year old coming from the Angolan league, you really would say the odds are if he was that good he'd have been snapped up at this stage... Fingers crossed though, what little i hva eseen of him has been promising enough - big, strong, fast, good in the air and appears to have good instincts infront of goal. Suppose he'll be worth a look at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think he'll find it very hard to break into the squad at all next season, if as expected Fergie brings in another striker. Nice to have option though.

Does this mean the end of Dong? I'd love to see cambell get a few games this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

sprinkles wrote: »
    I think he'll find it very hard to break into the squad at all next season, if as expected Fergie brings in another striker. Nice to have option though.

Does this mean the end of Dong? I'd love to see cambell get a few games this year too.

What do mean the end of Dong? Have we ever seen the start of Dong. He will be kept around for the same reason he was purchased, to make us money in Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Dong Long gong. Manucho, ah I dunno lads. Fingers crossed.

The good thing about Manucho is that nobody really has great expectations of him. So if he makes any little contribution he will be seen as a some kind of success.

*This is based on us getting another striker in. If he is the only new recruit in that department I think we will be pushing our luck next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SteM

What do mean the end of Dong? Have we ever seen the start of Dong. He will be kept around for the same reason he was purchased, to make us money in Asia.

Do you really think Dong being kept around has made United money in Asia? How many shirts would have been sold there because of him (the fake shirt capital of the world!)? How would the club's profile have been raised in China by having a Chinese player on their books that was never playing?

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea why he was bought or kept around but I always laugh when I hear that it's for financial reasons. IIRC, United payed £3mil for him (maybe I'm wrong about this), add his wages on to that and I doubt that have United have broken even on him. It's not like Real buying Beckham or anything like that.

• Advertisement

Was discussing this on another site the other day, and one of the regs on their made this point:

We signed Dong as a promising young player, and at that stage he probably was a promising young player. Unfortunately, we had to park him at a feeder club for 3 years, and that feeder club was playing in the Belgian second division. Now, we have seen Anderlecht in the CL year after year, and getting beaten game after game. The standard of the belgian first division isn't great, so the standard of the second division is probably terrible.

basically, we parked a promising young player at a crappy club, in a crappy league and expected him to progress - it was never likely to happen unfortunately. Dong could well have fallen victim to being deprived the real chance to develop the potential he may have had due to his environment.

I think with Dong it also has to be taken into consideration that signing him was always going to increase jersey sales in China! Was never going to become a first team regular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Tauren wrote:
    basically, we parked a promising young player at a crappy club, in a crappy league and expected him to progress - it was never likely to happen unfortunately. Dong could well have fallen victim to being deprived the real chance to develop the potential he may have had due to his environment.
    Perhaps, or perhaps he was never going to reach the potential he showed early on in his career.

@alanmurphy83 - we saw him gain fringe status a number of times this year - he even played in the CL. My point was I hope he's sold to make room for Manucho or Cambell.

Perhaps, or perhaps he was never going to reach the potential he showed early on in his career.

@alanmurphy83 - we saw him gain fringe status a number of times this year - he even played in the CL. My point was I hope he's sold to make room for Manucho or Cambell.

Ok he came on as a sub against Roma which by all accounts was treated as a League Cup game, and made one appearance in the League Cup.

I have no fears of him getting in the way of Manucho or Cambell, Wellbeck was getting on the bench ahead of him this season. I also expect Cambell to be out on loan next year.

EDIT: Alre maybe he wasn't just signed for money, and his development got stunted in Belgium but how long a contract did we give this guy. He spent three years in Belgium and one year at Utd, so a 5 year contract means he would be gone next year, 4 year means this year unless we have actually given him a second contract.

Exactly, I'm sure merchandising was a factor in the decision to sign him, but he could well have been a promising young player. There are plenty of examples of young players not fulfilling their promise, and that aren't all guys from China. It turns out he is fairly crap - but oh well; things don't always work out.

Also, to really make money from the guy we would have to play him, United know this, so it would have been a consideration when we went for him originally. The United people must have thought there was some chance for him or they wouldn't have gone for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement