Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2008/2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think Dong had the potential, maybe still does but its very doubtful to become a good striker, he showed alot of promise before he was bought by united and farmed out iirc. he had lots of the natural striking ability but he never had the opportunity to hone his skills with better players and better training facilitys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Large 94-96 jersey

Too big for me I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

on to the watch list... cheers

looks like Rio is the England captain for tomorrows game; apparently the order of people getting off the plane in T&T was to be the manager followed by the captain. Rio was first player off the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Tauren wrote: »
    looks like Rio is the England captain for tomorrows game; apparently the order of people getting off the plane in T&T was to be the manager followed by the captain. Rio was first player off the plane.

He probably sat in his lap

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_3628023,00.html

**** I hate Neil Warnock. What a loud mouth attention seeker. What the hell has that got to do with him.

"THis is the kind of thing that's going to ruin my holiday.."

What Tripe.

/rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

In fairness he has a point

indeed - but so did Fergie and Carlos! the ref was a joke that day.

He may have a point but its none of his business and him wishing a fine on fergie and carlos and going to the daily mail to let everyone know about is exactly what he is like.

He thinks he's a big shot manager when he is utter ****e. He wants to play with the big boys so he mouths off to be controversial and get some attention from the papers.

Did very well at Palace this season and was unlucky not to keep Sheff United up. If we had beaten West Ham that day things may have been different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Calderon finnally said Real gave up with trying to bring Ronaldo in Madrid and thats impossible this season,end of story

Calderon finnally said Real gave up with trying to bring Ronaldo in Madrid and thats impossible this season,end of story

No chance, no a hope in hell that it is the end of the story. just not going to happen. Marca will have some exclusive over the weekend.

Well as Calderon said in interview,they cant make to buy a player United dont want to sell,and they dont want some war with United so they will back off.Maybe i am just happy to hear that and thats why i believe it so easily,maybe they will give up for now,but who knows will they in next winter transfer period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ya thats just a roundabout way of getting more headlines in tomorrows papers. Today they give up and then tomorrow the witch hunt is up and running again!!

Trilla wrote: »
    Did very well at Palace this season and was unlucky not to keep Sheff United up. If we had beaten West Ham that day things may have been different.
    My hatred of the man blinds me to his actual achievements. He just hits a nerve with me. Like that guy on UTV before corrie comes on. Uhuhuhuhuh.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1023175/Evra-agrees-year-contract-United-55k-week.html?ITO=1490

Manchester United have agreed a new four-year contract with Patrice Evra. The France defender and his agent met with United chief executive David Gill on Thursday and settled on a pay deal of £55,000 per week.

Cristiano Ronaldo is still expected to commit his future to United.

Delighted Evra has agreed a new deal, can't help but think we have got him on the 'cheap' too - the exact figure that Cole nearly crashed his car after hearing he had been offered it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

the exact figure that Cole nearly crashed his car after hearing he had been offered it!

haha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Brilliant news about Evra. Definitly thought he was going to hold out for more because God knows he deserves it.

Lets get the Ronaldo sorted and sign Benzema and it'll be a good summer all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Great news about Evra

Dam another one crossed of my list :D

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Great news about Evra

If its true that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1023175/Evra-agrees-year-contract-United-55k-week.html?ITO=1490

Manchester United have agreed a new four-year contract with Patrice Evra. The France defender and his agent met with United chief executive David Gill on Thursday and settled on a pay deal of £55,000 per week.

Cristiano Ronaldo is still expected to commit his future to United.

Delighted Evra has agreed a new deal, can't help but think we have got him on the 'cheap' too - the exact figure that Cole nearly crashed his car after hearing he had been offered it!

I heard Evra was looking for 75,000 a week, so I'd be surprised if this is completely true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That woulda been £40,000 more than he was on,so would be very unlikely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Marca have quotes from Ronaldo's mother and his godfather who both want him to sign for Real. His godfather supposedly advised him on a move to Sporting, and then to Man Utd, and he reckons a deal will be announced after the Euros...

More ****-stirring from Marca?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/may/31/1

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

If the ****-head does in fact leave, we'll manage. Always have, always will. Sick of having every headline about ronaldo leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

O K with all Ronaldo bulls**t going on. He said , she said and all that.
    Forget all that for a moment .

I am curious

Who here thinks he owes the Club something ?
    Would anyone see him as a traitor if he leaves ?
    Would you boo him if he return to OT in a Madrid shirt ? (which will happen next year for sure , if he signs for them , murphy's law and all that. )

OR

Has he done enough , wish him well and if he returns he should recieve a warm and hero's welcome ?

• Advertisement

I hate that Real Madrid,i just dont see whats so interesting to every player so he wants to go there,club full of money who wants to buy all the world and they always suck as a team.All players screw up their career and all they get is money,well if thats what Ronaldo wants and dont care for anything else than he can go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Well they have a better history than any club in world football. I mean how many European Cups have they won? Think of the names Di Stefano, Puskas etc...

The likes of Zidane and Figo didn't exactly ruin their career there, and they did just win the league.

Besides he's not gone anywhere yet. In fact this is likely just scare mongering from the media. Still if true it is probably the most frightening of all the talk that has happened in the past while. Clearly this godfather has a big influence on him, I do remember a lot of talk about him meeting Fergie before Ronaldo signed for Utd...

As a Pool fan it's a nice thing to distract me from the potential shambles of a summer at my own club!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Neil Warnock on hearing that Sir Alex Ferguson has been let off by FA for comments about ref: "Are you winding me up! This sounds like the type of thing that is going to ruin my summer holiday!"

Warnock for me has to be the most hated man in football.
    Ignorant twat who should learn to shut his mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    As a Pool fan it's a nice thing to distract me from the potential shambles of a summer at my own club!!! :)

Yes because last year signing torres and babel proved to be a complete disaster didnt it.
    How about lets wait till August before getting depressed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Oh what a f**king surprise more sh**e from Marca about Ronaldo today. Real are obviously turning to there media wing now that they've said ''they have given up on Ronaldo'':rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

100% honesty.

When Ronaldo announces hes staying thats fine, great.

Should somehow he get push into leaving by the media (only chance imo) then i would thank him for the last 2 (maybe 3) seasons of amazing football and the trophies he won for us. No hard feelings, id then buy a Madrid shirt with C.Ronaldo on it.

He's not leaving lol, but the "dickhead" quotes will be funny to bring back on a number of occasions throught the season. lordgoat has my favourite one so far "If the dickhead does leave, we'll manage," 9 Player of the year awards in the last 2 seasons, 24 times he said hes happy here... Ahh hes an arsehole! :p

All these rumours are coming from Spain because they are desperate to have him in their league. Dont turn on Ron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    All these rumours are coming from Spain because they are desperate to have him in their league. Dont turn on Ron.
    No one should turn on Ronaldo. Leave the football to the players and the business to the managers. But to be fair, he hasn't done much to quash the rumours either even if he is committed to the united shirt for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

No one should turn on Ronaldo. Leave the football to the players and the business to the managers. But to be fair, he hasn't done much to quash the rumours either even if he is committed to the united shirt for the time being.

How many times has he answered the same question though. Any interview I've seen with him alluded to how happy he was at United and that he'd be staying. Obviously Marca and Real, aswell as their supporters, are trying to push this as far as it'll go in the hope that people will actually believe them. Seems like Ronaldo has just got pissed off with being forced to answer the same question over and over and it's started to distract him from concentrating on the Euros. Now he seems to be just saying, leave me alone until after the Euros and I'll tell you then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    100% honesty.

When Ronaldo announces hes staying thats fine, great.

Should somehow he get push into leaving by the media (only chance imo) then i would thank him for the last 2 (maybe 3) seasons of amazing football and the trophies he won for us. No hard feelings, id then buy a Madrid shirt with C.Ronaldo on it.

He's not leaving lol, but the "dickhead" quotes will be funny to bring back on a number of occasions throught the season. lordgoat has my favourite one so far "If the dickhead does leave, we'll manage," 9 Player of the year awards in the last 2 seasons, 24 times he said hes happy here... Ahh hes an arsehole! :p

+1....except about buying a Madrid shirt, which I wouldn't do if they were the last football team on earth :)

An Citeog wrote: »
    How many times has he answered the same question though. Any interview I've seen with him alluded to how happy he was at United and that he'd be staying. Obviously Marca and Real, aswell as their supporters, are trying to push this as far as it'll go in the hope that people will actually believe them. Seems like Ronaldo has just got pissed off with being forced to answer the same question over and over and it's started to distract him from concentrating on the Euros. Now he seems to be just saying, leave me alone until after the Euros and I'll tell you then.
    He's been asked the question quite a bit to be fair. But it isn't just the Spanish media prolonging the drama (altough they are hyping the potential transfer like mad!!). Ronaldo himself never definitely ruled out a short term transfer either. All this "I'm happy here" stuff fails to quash the rumour because it doesn't suggest for one minute that he'd be "unhappy" at the taught of moving either. Hence he gets asks again and again.

Mikey's right. If he stays it's obviously fantastic for united. But if he leaves, then the prize money from the double would buy a few more than capable under studies for Giggs or whoever's there next season.

are you all nuts? without Ronnie we would not have won the league or champions league this year, im sorry. i know one player doesnt make a team but he is definatly the catalyst for the success of this team. lose him and we lose alot more then just a winger or just a forward, he is irreplaceable at the moment in my opinion and he wont be going anywhere this summer.

kryogen wrote: »
    are you all nuts? without Ronnie we would not have won the league or champions league this year, im sorry. i know one player doesnt make a team but he is definatly the catalyst for the success of this team. lose him and we lose alot more then just a winger or just a forward, he is irreplaceable at the moment in my opinion and he wont be going anywhere this summer.
    Well I certainly can't see him moving this summer either. But to say he's "irreplaceable" is perhaps a slight over statement. He's a fantastic player and his scoring record speaks volumes (all the more so being a winger) but don't forget: he was a diamond in the rough when he first joined the club. It was man united as a club that massively helped his development and elevate him to the level he's at now.

People once said the same thing about Roy Keane's leadership when he left and all the other world greats before him. It didn't stop united winning just about everything around. They'd survive if they had to but having him provides that extra bit of attacking luxury.

the team would survive but you would be foolish to assume the team would have won anything without him this season...

Roy Keane has never been replaced

Eric Cantona has never been replaced

Bryan Robson was arguably replaced by Keane, but......

Great players dont get replaced. you just have to find another great player to build the team around instead. the whole team is built around Ronaldo at the moment, to replace him would mean changing the whole attacking system again and bringing in new personnel to fit the new system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEgRK-mYB58&feature=bz301

all 42 Ronnie goals.

My favourites:

Everton at home, nice little jink followed by a stunning strike.

Blackburn at home (i think) lovely counter attack goal.

1st at home against Newcastle, another great counter attack.

• Advertisement

the team would survive but you would be foolish to assume the team would have won anything without him this season...
    I never assumed they'd win anything this season without him. He was the undisputed spearhead in the united attack this season across all campaigns (40+ goals says it all). Next season is entirely different though. Any one of Huntelaar, Berbatov or Fabiano could be added to the personnel and allow the flexibility to slightly alter the formation, if desired. Although I remember reading somewhere that AF only intends to bring in 3 or so new players which suggests there won't be too many going out either.
    Great players dont get replaced. you just have to find another great player to build the team around instead.
    Apologies if this comes across as a bit sharp or anything but you've answered your own question right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think he said he was going to spread the captaincy around until the Euro Qualifiers, so I wouldn't be surprised if we seen a "surprise" captain like David Beckham at the weekend.
    i was under the impression it was to be spread around actual candidates, which would only be Rio, Terry and Gerrard. Maybe he will spring a surprise though, but I still think it would need to be given to someone who is likely to play in most of Englands games and is a senior figure among the squad. Would only leave James imo.

:cool:

*oh yeah I'm smug*

wipe the smug off your face or i'll wipe it pff for ya!

DAMN YOU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEgRK-mYB58&feature=bz301

all 42 Ronnie goals.

My favourites:

Everton at home, nice little jink followed by a stunning strike.

Blackburn at home (i think) lovely counter attack goal.

1st at home against Newcastle, another great counter attack.

Seriously, in case anyone hadn't noticed, what a ****ing season he had!! Unbelievable!

Trying to think of comparable season-long performances in the Premiership... Henry had a few unbelievable seasons, Pires and Bergkamp too. Alan Shearer must be mentioned I suppose. From a United point-of-view, you couldn't forget Van Nistelrooy or Keane - or Cantona? Since Abrahmovic John Terry has had some incredible seasons. But surely Ronaldo's 2007/8 season has to be ranked as one of the best in Premiership history?

While Ronaldo is preparing for Euro his girlfriend making naked pics on Mallorca for newspapers:D

on Mallorca

lucky Mallorca:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

While Ronaldo is preparing for Euro his girlfriend making naked pics on Mallorca for newspapers:D
    Pics or it didn't happen! :D

Well acctually our papers showed 2 pics with her 2 friends how they photographe them selves on some party in toilet

• Advertisement

Glazers comment on the Ronaldo situation!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement